More about blocklist setting in Basilisk

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: More about blocklist setting in Basilisk

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-19, 13:37

Get me a screenshot of about:buildconfig of the latest binary for linux, please.

Or better yet, use those options and build my branch with the toolkit error console at https://github.com/binoc-central/moebius-contrib/tree/jsconsole-work

Then maybe we can sort this...

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-12-19, 13:49

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Get me a screenshot of about:buildconfig of the latest binary for linux, please.
Here it is:
vmware_2017-12-19_15-46-15.png
Or better yet, use those options and build my branch with the toolkit error console at https://github.com/binoc-central/moebius-contrib/tree/jsconsole-work
Then maybe we can sort this...
Sorry, but it will probably take years in my VM box.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-19, 14:01

Nothing wrong build config wise.. Guess will wait on Travis.. Least with appending restoration of the Toolkit Error Console we will be able to get to the bottom of these issues once and for all..

THIS is why this is important.. for this exact reason.. Having all your eggs in one basket with devtools is very bad and this is why...

dodona
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dodona » 2017-12-26, 09:26

how to disable extensions.blocklist.enabled and the whole blocklist algorithm permanently?

After each new start of b. or if the update interval is passed extensions.blocklist.enabled is set to true automatically and the mess starts again.
I'm fully responsible for all extensions I use and don't need a nanny software knowing 'better' what is good for me than myself.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-26, 11:27

This is Mozilla's "settings service" that is causing havoc, which is part of their whole "we decide how you want to use your browser" trip they are on right now, and which was not caught by us until after release (because it was all done on the quiet). This kind of interference will be solved in the next version of Basilisk, since it will no longer be talking to Mozilla's servers for this.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2017-12-27, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dodona
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dodona » 2017-12-27, 08:02

Moonchild wrote:This kind of interference will be solved in the next version of Basilisk, since it will no longer be talking to Mozilla's servers for this.
Thank you! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-27, 22:53

Moonchild wrote:This is Mozilla's "settings service" that is causing havoc
So now Mozilla is actually altering Firefox's settings without the user's consent or even knowledge? That is really disturbing. :twisted:
I wonder how many other software will follow suit with something like that on their products?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

dodona
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dodona » 2017-12-27, 23:04

gracious1 wrote:
Moonchild wrote:This is Mozilla's "settings service" that is causing havoc
So now Mozilla is actually altering Firefox's settings without the user's consent or even knowledge? That is really disturbing. :twisted:
I wonder how many other software will follow suit with something like that on their products?
I never experienced that "settings service" with firefox 1..56. Anyhow, as a temporarily bug fix a extension (or whatever) setting extensions.blocklist.enabled to false with each firefox start would be nice. Is anybody out there who can write such a bug fix extension?

dodona
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by dodona » 2017-12-28, 00:14

today was really awful. After each restart our "settings service" made problems. Finally another dialog appeared forcing me to upgrade to the shitty rust known as 57. I had some problem to kill this dialog posting this message.
Guess there is some evil code in firefox < 57 responsible for that mess.