More about blocklist setting in Basilisk

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: satrow

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: More about blocklist setting in Basilisk

Unread postby New Tobin Paradigm » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 13:37

Get me a screenshot of about:buildconfig of the latest binary for linux, please.

Or better yet, use those options and build my branch with the toolkit error console at https://github.com/binoc-central/moebius-contrib/tree/jsconsole-work

Then maybe we can sort this...

== We got to install microwave ovens / Custom kitchen deliveries / We got to move these refrigerators / We got to move these color TVs ==
http://binaryoutcast.com/ | http://thereisonlyxul.org/

JustOff
Localization Coordinator
Localization Coordinator

Unread postby JustOff » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 13:49

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Get me a screenshot of about:buildconfig of the latest binary for linux, please.

Here it is:
vmware_2017-12-19_15-46-15.png

Or better yet, use those options and build my branch with the toolkit error console at https://github.com/binoc-central/moebius-contrib/tree/jsconsole-work
Then maybe we can sort this...

Sorry, but it will probably take years in my VM box.
Here are the add-ons I made in a spare time. That was fun!

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby New Tobin Paradigm » Tue, 19 Dec 2017, 14:01

Nothing wrong build config wise.. Guess will wait on Travis.. Least with appending restoration of the Toolkit Error Console we will be able to get to the bottom of these issues once and for all..

THIS is why this is important.. for this exact reason.. Having all your eggs in one basket with devtools is very bad and this is why...

== We got to install microwave ovens / Custom kitchen deliveries / We got to move these refrigerators / We got to move these color TVs ==
http://binaryoutcast.com/ | http://thereisonlyxul.org/

dodona
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby dodona » Tue, 26 Dec 2017, 09:26

how to disable extensions.blocklist.enabled and the whole blocklist algorithm permanently?

After each new start of b. or if the update interval is passed extensions.blocklist.enabled is set to true automatically and the mess starts again.
I'm fully responsible for all extensions I use and don't need a nanny software knowing 'better' what is good for me than myself.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Tue, 26 Dec 2017, 11:27

This is Mozilla's "settings service" that is causing havoc, which is part of their whole "we decide how you want to use your browser" trip they are on right now, and which was not caught by us until after release (because it was all done on the quiet). This kind of interference will be solved in the next version of Basilisk, since it will no longer be talking to Mozilla's servers for this.
Last edited by Moonchild on Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

dodona
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby dodona » Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 08:02

Moonchild wrote:This kind of interference will be solved in the next version of Basilisk, since it will no longer be talking to Mozilla's servers for this.

Thank you! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread postby gracious1 » Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 22:53

Moonchild wrote:This is Mozilla's "settings service" that is causing havoc

So now Mozilla is actually altering Firefox's settings without the user's consent or even knowledge? That is really disturbing. :twisted:
I wonder how many other software will follow suit with something like that on their products?
Image“We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.” ― Wm. Ewart Gladstone

dodona
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby dodona » Wed, 27 Dec 2017, 23:04

gracious1 wrote:
Moonchild wrote:This is Mozilla's "settings service" that is causing havoc

So now Mozilla is actually altering Firefox's settings without the user's consent or even knowledge? That is really disturbing. :twisted:
I wonder how many other software will follow suit with something like that on their products?

I never experienced that "settings service" with firefox 1..56. Anyhow, as a temporarily bug fix a extension (or whatever) setting extensions.blocklist.enabled to false with each firefox start would be nice. Is anybody out there who can write such a bug fix extension?

dodona
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby dodona » Thu, 28 Dec 2017, 00:14

today was really awful. After each restart our "settings service" made problems. Finally another dialog appeared forcing me to upgrade to the shitty rust known as 57. I had some problem to kill this dialog posting this message.
Guess there is some evil code in firefox < 57 responsible for that mess.

dodona
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread postby dodona » Fri, 29 Dec 2017, 08:23

Return to “Basilisk”