Changing Basilisk's blocklist setting to 'false' by default in next release

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Changing Basilisk's blocklist setting to 'false' by default in next release

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-18, 16:35

There have been a number of posts by users reporting that they cannot install this or that extension, or that it is disabled by Basilisk; for example, this thread: Classic Theme Restorer. The solution has been to change a setting in about:config .

So I was wondering, wouldn't it make sense for the next release of Basilisk to have the value of extensions.blocklist.enabled set to false by default? It would save a lot of posting. Moreover, you have to consider the users who, upon seeing the warning that their favorite extension has security issues or has been automatically disabled, don't even seek support and just decide they won't bother with Basilisk at all.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

JoeyG
Astronaut
Astronaut
Location: How can you be in two places at once, when you're not anywhere at all?

Re: Changing Basilisk's blocklist setting to 'false' by default in next release

Unread post by JoeyG » 2017-12-18, 18:26

It would have saved me a bit of time.
"And you can believe me because I never lie - and I'm always right."
(Asserted by George Leroy Tirebiter* and my wife; only the latter is telling the truth.)
*Firesign Theater version

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-18, 20:10

The ISSUE is people not deleting the cached version of the downloaded blocklist when they try to use incompatible profiles from other applications.

The problem is squarely between the chair and the keyboard.

However, maybe we can mitigate that somewhat by perhaps deleting the cached blocklist on application version change or something.. Hmm. Needs exploration...

Eather that or alter Tycho and UXP to strictly bind profiles to their applications and make any sort of attempt to do otherwise rather difficult..

Just how resistant are people gonna be about NOT doing things that break their experience when told what the are doing will break their experence... Hmmm.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-18, 20:24

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite