Still getting warnings on add-ons page

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Still getting warnings on add-ons page

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-12-03, 15:56

I just installed the latest Basilisk. I'm still getting the warnings on the add-ons page "Add-on X" is known to cause security or stability issues. I thought this problem was fixed?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Still getting warnings on add-ons page

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-28, 22:11

Just out of interest i attempted to install ublock origin from the PM add on page and received a stability and security warning.Also i installed cookie exterminator and it cleaned close to fifty odd 3rd party cookies and a warning about some toolbar being prevented from being installed...
weird.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-29, 01:02

The only workaround thus far is step 7 here: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17797#p130427
However, this will potentially leave you vulnerable.
I believe that Moonchild Productions is working on solving this problem, which seems to affect Linux but not Windows users.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-12-29, 13:54

Try disabling and then enabling the add-ons. This makes the warnings go away for me.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-29, 20:38

After reseting blocklist preferences in about:config to defaults.. Shutdown Basilisk and enter your profile directory and delete blocklist.xml and any blocklist-*.json files. Then start Basilisk.

That should get things working as intended for existing profiles.

Also, the step in the post above should refresh individual entries for your add-ons in the internal db.

As much as we need to clean up Mozilla's messes.. So does everyone who decided to use development software ;)

Though, you could just create a new profile that might actually be less work at this point :P
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2017-12-29, 20:44, edited 4 times in total.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-12-29, 21:59

Terryphi wrote:Try disabling and then enabling the add-ons. This makes the warnings go away for me.
I have also tried this, and it sometimes works but the warning eventually returns after clicking away from the Extensions tab and then going back.

I've tried with a brand new profile, I've tried restarting in safe mode and then restarting normally, and I have tried removing blocklist.xml, all with seemingly no effect. There were no blocklist-*.json files present in my profile.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-29, 23:54

Just an FYI --- I am getting these warnings....

I already have extensions.blocklist.enabled set to "true" and I get these warnings (which apparently do not mean anything):
uBo updater warning in Basilisk.png
These are the only two extensions that give me this warning --- I've tried disabling and enabling the add-ons, no help in my case (this may be a different "warning" message than the one discussed in this topic however).
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-30, 00:08

Pale Moon Rising wrote:Just an FYI --- I am getting these warnings....
....I've tried disabling and enabling the add-ons, no help in my case
You might try this advice, it's a couple of posts up from yours...
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:After reseting blocklist preferences in about:config to defaults.. Shutdown Basilisk and enter your profile directory and delete blocklist.xml and any blocklist-*.json files. Then start Basilisk.

That should get things working as intended for existing profiles.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2017-12-30, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-30, 00:17

^ Saw that but I do not find any "blocklist.xml" file in C:\Programs Files (x86)\Basilisk or "blocklist-*.json files" for that matter. Where are these files supposed to be?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-12-30, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-30, 00:23

Okay, I'm finding a "blocklist.xml" file in C:\Programs Files (x86)\Basilisk\browser...

... Not finding any other files i.e. "blocklist-*.json files" however.

So if I delete the "blocklist.xml" file then Basilisk will recreate the file again correctly (assuming this is a necessary browser file)? .... and this should do away with the warning banners?

I'm not that excited about deleting files to remove banners that don't really do anything other than render a "false" warning, but I'll try this -- if this does not create other issues -- so this would be the case, no potential extraneous issues?
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-12-30, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-30, 00:42

Pale Moon Rising wrote: Where are these files supposed to be?
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Shutdown Basilisk and enter your profile directory...

A new blocklist probably won't be recreated instantaneously, but will be recreated - it gets downloaded at regular intervals.
Last edited by coffeebreak on 2017-12-30, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-30, 03:43

Okay, doing the following:

Code: Select all

After reseting blocklist preferences in about:config to defaults..
Shutdown Basilisk and enter your profile directory and delete blocklist.xml and any blocklist-*.json files.

Then start Basilisk.
which is to say that I found the following "blocklist preferences" that were not default with the following value:

Code: Select all

app.update.lastUpdateTime.blocklist-background-update-timer;1514561568
extensions.blocklist.pingCountTotal;23
extensions.blocklist.pingCountVersion;2
services.blocklist.addons.checked;1514398644
services.blocklist.clock_skew_seconds;425
services.blocklist.gfx.checked;1514398644
services.blocklist.last_update_seconds;1514398644
services.blocklist.onecrl.checked;1514398644
services.blocklist.plugins.checked;1514398644
And reset each to default (all getting reset to "0") and then exited Basilisk and then deleted the following:
deleted blocklist files from profile.png
And I still get the following after restarting Basilisk:
uBo updater warning in Basilisk.png
.... Since these are "could not be verified.... proceed with caution" warnings I was wondering if doing this would really help or not in as much as it's not blocking extensions but just providing a warning in the add-ons list.... :think:
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-12-30, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-12-30, 03:57

Followup question:

What is this blocklist xml file (that is not in the profiles director, as you can see):
What is this block list xul file.png
I of course did not delete this file as it is not located in the profile directory and as illustrated in this screen-shot I do not have any of the "blocklist" related files in the profile directory (after deleting them):
no blocklist files in profile directory.png
.... Just wondering what's up with that other blocklist.xml file. :?