PLEASE CHANGE ICON!!!

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

deckie49

PLEASE CHANGE ICON!!!

Unread post by deckie49 » 2017-11-29, 23:02

:o I downloaded and installed Basilisk and damn near got bit by a snake!!!
Please, in all seriousness. An icon showing a cobra head is not an inviting, pleasant icon to interact with. Wouldn't your new browser be better served by an icon that is a little easier on the eyes and nervous system? Thanks

sgage
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: PLEASE CHANGE ICON!!!

Unread post by sgage » 2017-11-29, 23:12

It's not a snake - it's a basilisk! Everyone is not just like you, you know. To tell the truth, I kind of like the icon, but to each their own. But the all-caps shriek was a bit much...

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-11-29, 23:28

Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.2, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2017-11-29, 23:50

sgage wrote:But the all-caps shriek was a bit much...
Plus this belongs in the Basilisk forum, not under Pale Moon support.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-30, 01:03

sgage wrote:It's not a snake - it's a basilisk! Everyone is not just like you, you know. To tell the truth, I kind of like the icon, but to each their own. But the all-caps shriek was a bit much...
+ 1 :thumbup: The name says it all (the icon while cool in my view is incidental to the name of the browser) which is all about a legendary creature that is incomparable in dominance and power over all other living things --- While it's whatever you want to think of as the mightiest of all beasts, I personally like to think in terms of the "mightiest of dragons" and who doesn't love the grandeur mystique of legendary dragons?

FWIW - Harry Potter Wiki Basilisk description (Even Harry Potter had no control over the incomparable mightiest of all beasts Basilisk ;) --- If you have any problems with the linked websites use the mighty Basilisk browser... :thumbup:)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-30, 02:42

deckie49 wrote::o An icon showing a cobra head is not an inviting, pleasant icon to interact with. Wouldn't your new browser be better served by an icon that is a little easier on the eyes and nervous system? Thanks
We had a chance to a purr-fectly pleasing cat, but the community voted it down... :cry:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

loxodont
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by loxodont » 2017-11-30, 04:17

I thought it was a cobra, too, and something egyptian from the name, but reading the links above it looks like a rather small Jabberwock to me. Anyway I'm happy it wasn't named after Chaucers "Basilicok".

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-11-30, 07:17

deckie49, this issue was litigated months ago (but I agree the right decision wasn't made).

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15558

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15559

Ever MoonGlow.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.1 x64

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-11-30, 07:24

gracious1 wrote: We had a chance to a purr-fectly pleasing cat, but the community voted it down... :cry:
Off-topic:
Cats, who needs 'em? You may love them, but they don't love you. You feed 'em, give 'em something to claw on, other than that, they don't wanna know ya. If yours is giving you a different impression, you're being lied to.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-30, 07:28

van p wrote:
gracious1 wrote: We had a chance to a purr-fectly pleasing cat, but the community voted it down... :cry:
Off-topic:
Cats, who needs 'em? You may love them, but they don't love you. You feed 'em, give 'em something to claw on, other than that, they don't wanna know ya. If yours is giving you a different impression, you're being lied to.
Off-topic:
That's the thing, I love cats personally, but let's be honest -- they do tend to create divisive opinions - people tend to have extreme views of cats on both ends and so because there is such a schism in regards to cats there will be a great deal of people who simply do not like cats at all. (of course I disagree with your conclusion about cats and I don't think I'm being lied to :lol: reaching this conclusion) I would have personally preferred a more exotic "cat" logo, i.e. something in the form of a cat silhouette perhaps.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-11-30, 07:47, edited 3 times in total.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-30, 07:30

van p wrote:deckie49, this issue was litigated months ago (but I agree the right decision wasn't made).

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15558

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15559

Ever MoonGlow.
Perhaps you did not read the following part of the rules of the context that you have yourself linked:
Initial selection of designs will be decided by the community/users - final selection will be done by me (Moonchild).
We reserve the right to disqualify designs that do not meet quality, design or ethical standards, in our sole discretion, regardless of popularity.
As illustrated in this screen-shot of the post:
Click to enlarge to improve readability
Click to enlarge to improve readability
As to whether it was the "right" decision, I guess that is clearly subjective.... I personally feel the Basilisk logo is simple and clean so see no reason to assume it does not qualify as a "right" decision any more or less than any of the others.... and as to "popularity", I have no idea of course...
Off-topic:
I do know that I voted for it (In all honesty I didn't personally see any logos that impressed me any more than the Basilisk logo, I was a bit mystified by the name up until the browser was released recently with this name at which time I researched the name and can see some reasonable basis for the choice once researched). Perhaps bias exists in my case because as a male I've admittedly had to some degree a personal fascination with reptiles which I would suggest there arguably exists a statistically more common male predilection in that direction.
Last edited by Pallid Planetoid on 2017-11-30, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-11-30, 08:03

Pale Moon Rising, I'm not ignoring/denying the rules (they're history anyway and I don't think they're particularly relevant at this point or to this discussion), just not liking the results, as others above. Having said that, I may try the browser after it's got some history behind it and things have settled down.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-30, 08:13

van p wrote:Pale Moon Rising, I'm not ignoring/denying the rules (they're history anyway and I don't think they're particularly relevant at this point or to this discussion), just not liking the results, as others above. Having said that, I may try the browser after it's got some history behind it and things have settled down.
Of course you have every right to not like the results and I totally respect your personal opinion in that regard. (let me be clear, I intended no disrespect).
Off-topic:
All I'm pointing out is that if we are going to use the phrase "the right decision wasn't made" as you have in regards to looking back on the process that was used for the contest then I think contest "rules" are absolutely relevant of which I'm sure you would agree. ;) (I would submit that whether the rules are "history" or not doesn't change this fact in as much as the entire topic itself is looking back on an event in the past :think: ;))

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-30, 09:27

Sorry, but why are we getting on our high horses again? Please, just leave it be.

As to the OP: If you have a reptile phobia, then I'm sorry but our Basilisk branding won't be catering very well to you. There are plenty of other browsers out there, some associated with fluffy animals; perhaps that works better for you.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite