Problem: Basilisk seen as replacement for "legacy PM" by some

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

megaman

Re: Problem: Basilisk seen as replacement for "legacy PM" by some

Unread post by megaman » 2017-12-16, 04:42

NoNameNeeded wrote:Of course, the development of Basilisk (which is based on the brand new Quantum-version of Firefox) will probably continue (which I appreciate) but in the long run, all these.
Basilisk is Pre-Servo (57(Quantum)).
If they have distinguishable differences, I hope it continues.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-16, 05:09

NoNameNeeded wrote:Fake News
Off-topic:
I have not seen the likes of this sort of ...What.. Trollish maybe? Bullshit?? On a forum post for literal years.

Fact remains.. What ever this person is on.. I want ZERO part of it.

Everyone please disregard this person. Beyond their personal opinion.. If one can lift it out of his posts and is abosolutly entitled to.. What he says or claims is fact can ONLY be descried as Fake News in the purest sense..

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-12-16, 05:18

NoNameNeeded wrote:Well, sooner or later developers will stop to support the old Firefox-addons altogether (the ones that no longer run with Firefox Quantum) because why would they continue updating their now useless addons?
That's the beauty of free and open source code. Just because a project is discontinued by the original developers does not mean it is dead forever. Anyone can pick it back up and work with it again.
NoNameNeeded wrote:Of course, the development of Basilisk (which is based on the brand new Quantum-version of Firefox) will probably continue (which I appreciate) but in the long run, all these Firefox addons developed for the Non-Quantum versions of Firefox will be discontinued and no longer work.
If you read anywhere else on the forum - or just this thread, even - you will find that Basilisk based on Firefox 55-56, not Quantum, and that its purpose is not to replace Pale Moon at all, but to complement it in specific ways. Both browsers will continue to support XUL-based addons for the foreseeable future.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-16, 05:25

Closer to a range of 53-55 actually but it is already diverging at an arbitrary measurement of pace..

In Q1 of 2018 I am gonna replace the build system with that from pre-moz.configure and port Pale Moon's application specific code to UXP.

Also rework more of the build files so Pale Moon and Basilisk can co-exist in the tree together..

EXCITING, Isn't it? :)

NoNameNeeded

Unread post by NoNameNeeded » 2017-12-16, 05:41

Isengrim wrote: That's the beauty of free and open source code. Just because a project is discontinued by the original developers does not mean it is dead forever. Anyone can pick it back up and work with it again.
I understand that but do you think all the developers of all the addons will continue upgrading and improving their addons for a few Basilisk users? I doubt that.

Isengrim wrote: If you read anywhere else on the forum - or just this thread, even - you will find that Basilisk based on Firefox 55-56, not Quantum, and that its purpose is not to replace Pale Moon at all, but to complement it in specific ways. Both browsers will continue to support XUL-based addons for the foreseeable future.
Well, Moonchild said this:
"What does this have to do with Pale Moon?

UXP will be the long-term future for Pale Moon. As such, we need something (an application) to develop this alongside our current browser platform and back-end. Eventually, Pale Moon will become a "UXP application", just like Basilisk is now. UXP applications retain full customization and freedom in application layout code, so the "look and feel" will not significantly change when Pale Moon is moved to the new platform (somewhere in 2018). "
So, Basilisk seems to be kind of a precursor to what Pale Moon will soon become.

And yes, I was obviously wrong about Basilisk being based on Quantum but I have to say it is a bit confusing since even websites think that Basilisk is Firefox Quantum, that's why I thought so too.
But if that is not the case it's probably just a user agent setting in Basilisk.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-12-16, 05:49

NoNameNeeded wrote:I'm not talking about today or tomorrow but I guess by 2019 or so a lot of these addons will be rather outdated and error prone.
Actually you must remember that Basilisk is an experimental browser. Several people thinks that it's a production browser aka for everyday use and it is not yet. So this browser *may* be a replacement of Pale Moon if planets get the correct alignment: I meant with this that Basilisk become the option for the future in the web. It may be, it may not be.

About Pale Moon, this program is not an ESR of Firefox. The early days the motto of "Pale Moon is just a Firefox with optimized compiler flags" are dead and long gone. Pale Moon has its own engine named Goanna and has several bugs fixed that Mozilla declared as "Won't fix", for say just the some main differences. If Pale Moon looks like ESR Firefox is for the lack of Australis UI which can be even "fixed" with a skin that mimics it.

As for add-ons. If you see the page of Pale Moon add-ons several of them had been forked and well maintained. Several authors had supported Pale Moon in the past, other not. So the dead end that you see is a bit exaggerated, unless everybody discards them and code only web extensions.

So please do your homework before made statements.

General Note: If this thread keeps the mood of "rant mill" I will need to put the huge lock on it. An action that several people hate, but sadly you guys don't give me more choices available.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-16, 05:55

I personally think this thread has past that point about a page ago.. All the meaningful discourse has been pretty well expended in regards to this thread's actual topic. So locking it here is likely for the best.

NoNameNeeded

Unread post by NoNameNeeded » 2017-12-16, 05:57

Actually you must remember that Basilisk is an experimental browser. Several people thinks that it's a production browser aka for everyday use and it is not yet. So this browser *may* be a replacement of Pale Moon if planets get the correct alignment: I meant with this that Basilisk become the option for the future in the web. It may be, it may not be.
Do you think it will be fit for everyday use when the 52 ESR version of Firefox will be discontinued next year?
About Pale Moon, this program is not an ESR of Firefox. The early days the motto of "Pale Moon is just a Firefox with optimized compiler flags" are dead and long gone. Pale Moon has its own engine named Goanna and has several bugs fixed that Mozilla declared as "Won't fix", for say just the some main differences. If Pale Moon looks like ESR Firefox is for the lack of Australis UI which can be even "fixed" with a skin that mimics it.
I'm not a programmer so I don't know all these differences between platforms and code stuff and whatever but I was very much aware that Pale Moon isn't just a Firefox ESR version with another name tag on it. And I didn't say that.
But it is true that Pale Moon is somehow based on Firefox ESR or isn't it (be it the core components or the hardcore components or the platform or whatever)?
As for add-ons. If you see the page of Pale Moon add-ons several of them had been forked and well maintained. Several authors had supported Pale Moon in the past, other not. So the dead end that you see is a bit exaggerated, unless everybody discards them and code only web extensions.
I hope I'm wrong and you're right. It would be a shame if I was right.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-12-16, 06:26

WHERE are you getting this information, dude? Read the forum.. Everything you need to know is in post after post after post.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2017-12-16, 06:27

NoNameNeeded wrote:I hope I'm wrong and you're right. It would be a shame if I was right.
We are here for help that this doesn't happen and since you still want to move ahead the rant mill, you won what you wanted: The lock is here and you won a warning. CONGRATULATIONS! :clap: