preventing an addon from updating

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

ianas

preventing an addon from updating

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-25, 06:37

I installed the mega legacy xpi from
http://mega.nz/meganz-legacy.xpi
I'd like to know is there a way to lock an addon and prevent it from being updated as the new webext mega is just terrible (it downloads a file in RAM decrypts it and then uses the browsers save as function which is hungry for RAM) and I don't want to reinstall the old xpi every time I accidentally update it

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: preventing an addon from updating

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-25, 08:51

Open the add-ons manager (about:addons).
In the entry for MEGA, click the blue link for More to access the detailed view.
Next to "Automatic Updates" select the radio button for "Off".

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2017-11-25, 10:36

coffeebreak wrote:Open the add-ons manager (about:addons).
In the entry for MEGA, click the blue link for More to access the detailed view.
Next to "Automatic Updates" select the radio button for "Off".
That doesn't stop Basilick from downloading the update automatically and then telling you the update is ready to be installed. What the OP wants is a way to LOCK certain extensions from ever downloading updates because once downloaded the updates will install because the user accidentally allows it when updating other extensions that they want to update or because with some extensions it is IMPOSSIBLE to stop them from updating once the update is downloaded. Even if the user makes sure to uncheck the box for the update next to the extension they don't want updated (but want others updated) Firefox will usually put the checkmark back and update it along with the others. I finally had to stop Fx from checking for updates for any extensions ever. It was the only solution as I got sick of having to uninstall an unwanted update and then again install the older version. I also got sick of seeing in Addons Manager "Available Updates xx" as I was never going to update those extensions.

Basilick right now says in Addons Manager "Available Updates 2" and I have that radio button set to OFF. I will NEVER do these two updates that Basilick so "helpfully" has downloaded and made ready for me to install and there is NO way to get rid of the downloads (that is unless the code for this is Baslick code and not Fx).

I grappled with this in Fx for a long time a couple of years ago and finally got all extensions locked (and I just wanted certain ones locked) so I have to manually go to AMO and look to see if extensions on Fx have newer versions and then install from AMO. That is not what I or the OP wants for Basilick. We want a way to LOCK INDIVIDUAL extensions so Basilick will not check for updates and download them.

Stefansart

Unread post by Stefansart » 2017-12-06, 03:10

In the addressbar type about:config - promise to be careful.

In the empty bar on the top search for: extensions.update.enabled

Doubleclick (left mouse button) it and it should say FALSE to the right. But this disable automatic update for ALL addons !

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-06, 04:11

Smokey20 wrote: What the OP wants is a way to LOCK certain extensions from ever downloading updates because once downloaded the updates will install because the user accidentally allows it when updating other extensions that they want to update or because with some extensions it is IMPOSSIBLE to stop them from updating once the update is downloaded. […] I also got sick of seeing in Addons Manager "Available Updates xx" as I was never going to update those extensions. […]

I grappled with this in Fx for a long time a couple of years ago and finally got all extensions locked (and I just wanted certain ones locked) so I have to manually go to AMO and look to see if extensions on Fx have newer versions and then install from AMO. That is not what I or the OP wants for Basilick. We want a way to LOCK INDIVIDUAL extensions so Basilick will not check for updates and download them.
Yes, I would love to see this in Basilisk, too!!!
This is particularly essential if Basilisk is not going to to employ all the APIs of WebExtensions, and users will need to keep versions static.

Also in Moonchild's flagship browser, Pale Moon, e.g. because it is necessary for me to keep my favorite theme Red Cats (blue flavor) static at 5.8.0 for optimal functioning, but Add-ons Manager perpetually wants me to update to 6.0.0.

It is surprising that AFAIK neither Fx nor any forks thereof have ever included the feature to halt updates and notifications to individual add-ons. Would it be possible to create an ignore list for Add-ons Manager? Or a "suppress notification/update" list?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-12-06, 04:50

One way to shut this off for a single add-on is to raise the extensions's version number in install.rdf to an extremely high number, one that's much higher than its own real upstream version numbers. I've seen this work.

It has also been suggested that one can accomplish this by changing the extension's ID number.
gracious1 wrote:...AFAIK neither Fx nor any forks thereof have ever included the feature to halt updates and notifications to individual add-ons.

I have a semi-recollection that this actually was possible at one time, but changed to it's current state in one of the early PM 24.* releases.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-12-06, 11:28

coffeebreak wrote:One way to shut this off for a single add-on is to raise the extensions's version number in install.rdf to an extremely high number, one that's much higher than its own real upstream version numbers. I've seen this work.

It has also been suggested that one can accomplish this by changing the extension's ID number.
I tested both, and they both do the trick.

Bear in mind when you do the latter, Add-ons Manager thinks it is a different extension and so will not overwrite your current copy of the extension; you have to explicitly remove it. The advantage of the version method is that it will overwrite the current extension and thus save a step.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀