Basilisk installer on GNU/Linux Topic is solved

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

KNTRO

Basilisk installer on GNU/Linux

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-11-23, 13:36

Will Basilisk have an installer for GNU/Linux, like Pale Moon has?

Just hope the answer won't be:
Basilisk ≠ Pale Moon

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Basilisk installer on GNU/Linux

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-23, 13:56

There are some instructions on how to manually install Basilisk on Debian-based systems here. Note that I installed Basilisk to /usr/lib instead of /opt, as per Trava's post in that thread.

I do not believe that there is an official install tool yet, which would be nice to have.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

KNTRO

Unread post by KNTRO » 2017-11-23, 14:23

Thank you so much, Isengrim! :clap:

It worked! It's not the installer but it did what I wanted!

My respect!

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-11-23, 15:50

Folks, there's no need for an installer. Basilisk includes an internal updater that will automatically download and update the browser. There will be no official installer tool, as it is not needed. As long as you extract the browser to a user writable location, the browser will automatically check for and download updates so there's no need for any scripts.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-24, 05:52

Isengrim wrote:There are some instructions on how to manually install Basilisk on Debian-based systems here. Note that I installed Basilisk to /usr/lib instead of /opt, as per Trava's post in that thread.
Hmmm... :think: /usr/lib is not user-writable for me (I am surprised that is writable for you!). This is usually not a problem because I use sudo apt-get to do updates/upgrades. I am really not keen on installing software in my home directory. :problem:

I hope that someone will maintain a repository for Basilisk, but that might be too much to ask. :mrgreen:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-24, 10:06

ADDENDUM: I changed the ownership of /opt/basilisk/ from root to my username (and group). So I presume this would be sufficient. I hope it is safe having a user-writable directory in /opt/ .

I am still curious about /usr/lib/ being user-writable in in Isengrim's system.
(And I will still pray for a repository some day. :angel: )

Code: Select all

sudo -i
chown -R name:group /opt/basilisk
exit
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-24, 13:50

Hmm. Instead of extracting the Basilisk archive directly to /usr/lib, I guess I extracted it to my home directory and then sudo moved it to /usr/lib. I guess my noob is showing a bit here. :oops:
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-25, 03:17

there is no need to put Basilisk in /usr or /opt
just unpack the tarball somewhere in your home if you want to have a launcher in your menu use the menu tool to add Basilisk (plasma 5 can add apps) if not create a new desktop file in $HOME./local/share/applications
by keeping Basilisk in your home dir you can have the auto updater work as an ordinary user if you put it in /usr or /opt you will have to run Basilisk as root and that opens up a whole new can of worms first off running GUI apps as root is a big no second Basilisk will create a new profile in /root dir (there is a /root dir which acts as root's home) and will just mess things up
unless Basilisks comes in an rpm/deb package keep it out of /usr or /opt

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-25, 22:07

ianas wrote:there is no need to put Basilisk in /usr or /opt
just unpack the tarball somewhere in your home
I meant to say this in my post above, but that is exactly what I don't want to do, install software into my home directory.
by keeping Basilisk in your home dir you can have the auto updater work as an ordinary user if you put it in /usr or /opt you will have to run Basilisk as root and that opens up a whole new can of worms first off running GUI apps as root is a big no second Basilisk will create a new profile in /root dir (there is a /root dir which acts as root's home) and will just mess things up
I think there is some confusion here. I don't have to run Basilisk or Pale Moon or anything else installed in /opt/ or /usr/bin/ as root. Root may own the program files but the permissions are set for any user to execute.

Selected output of ls -l /opt :

Code: Select all

$ ls -l /opt
drwxr-xr-x 1 root     root      912 Nov 15 05:30 palemoon
drwxr-xr-x 1 root    root    1046 Nov 25 05:25 basilisk
This is by default upon installation; I did not have to modify settings. You can see in the first column that it is readable (r) and executable (x) by everyone.

However, I recursively changed ownership of /opt/basilisk to me rather than root (see commands above), so that makes the directory and all its contents read-writable by me, so that should be sufficient for the auto-updater (unless someone from Moonchild Productions says it is not).