Classic Theme Restorer & Basilisk

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Classic Theme Restorer & Basilisk

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-20, 18:15

Read issue 193 on moebius, so thought to share the following here...

For me there were two location bar settings in later versions of CTR that, if selected, made the location bar go dead - Meaning that if a url was typed/pasted into the address bar, nothing happened after hitting Enter.

These settings were:
Location Bar -> Page 1 -> "Hide 'stop & reload' Buttons"
and
Location Bar -> Autocomplete popup -> "Alternative appearance (classic)"

Was able to resolve it by installing an earlier version of CTR, v1.6.7.
It was the latest version where I could select those preferences without breaking the location bar.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Classic Theme Restorer & Basilisk

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-11-21, 10:05

CTR is necessary IMO, as I don't like the rounded, ill-defined, tabs.
Also, as TMP won't work, I can use CTR as a substitute for some things, e.g. setting Tab Width to 100 - 100.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2017-11-21, 11:07

Giraffe wrote:CTR is necessary IMO, as I don't like the rounded, ill-defined, tabs.
Also, as TMP won't work, I can use CTR as a substitute for some things, e.g. setting Tab Width to 100 - 100.
Tree Style Tab 0.19.2017090601 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/ works fine. It is my all time favorite and most important extension. I've stayed on Pale Moon 26.5 because I have read that it doesn't work well on Pale Moon 27 so I am very happy that, so far, it works fine on Basilisk.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2017-11-21, 14:30

Smokey20 wrote:Tree Style Tab 0.19.2017090601 https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... /versions/ works fine. It is my all time favorite and most important extension. I've stayed on Pale Moon 26.5 because I have read that it doesn't work well on Pale Moon 27 so I am very happy that, so far, it works fine on Basilisk.
there has been a fork of TST for PM 27.x for quite a while, thanks to oinkoink: https://addons.palemoon.org/addon/treestyletabforpm/

Pizzapops

Unread post by Pizzapops » 2017-11-21, 18:34

After some Aris adjustments, CTR 1.7.3.2beta1 is now working with Basilisk.
Quote from Aris:
The problem with location bars popup is caused by Basilisk not CTR.
CTR reads the browser version and uses code based on that. Basilisk shows itself as Firefox 55, but uses location bar code from Firefox 51-53. Because of that recent CTR versions fail to load the correct code required for the classic autocomplete popup.
This may also be the problem with TMP. I got a beta 5.0.5 working but the white customize page came back, requiring a second click on customize. I have since rolled back to 5.0.3 and haven't had a problem.

InstantFox also has a location bar problem with Basilisk but neither the current (2 years old) or past versions work. It has been broken since Firefox 52.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-11-22, 07:47

Giraffe wrote:CTR is necessary IMO, as I don't like the rounded, ill-defined, tabs.
Not sure if this is offtopic, but since Giraffe raised the issue--

I use Pale Moon, Cyberfox, and Waterfox. Below are images of the tabs as I have them set up in those 3 browsers. They certainly look nicer than plain, boring rectangular, and I don't see what's "ill-defined" about them. I think they look rather nice. (Not sure why the last (Waterfox) image can't be clicked on, but it's large enough you can see it clearly.)
PMSnip.PNG
CFSnip.PNG
WFSnip.PNG
WFSnip.PNG (17.15 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2017-11-22, 08:47

Yes, "ill-defined" was perhaps a poor choice of words. It's more that I can't see much of a defined boundary between tabs, so having them rectangular with a separator helps a lot.
As an aside, I like beige for PC kit (all mine is currently black!) and, just to be awkward, post-war rounded-edge furniture!
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

van p
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by van p » 2017-11-23, 06:39

Giraffe wrote:It's more that I can't see much of a defined boundary between tabs, so having them rectangular with a separator helps a lot.
Actually, it seems to me that the only time you should have trouble distinguishing between tabs is when they're rectangular. If they're rounded, probably in any way, there's going to be some space between them. I can't imagine not being able to see where one ends and the next/previous begins. Look at my 3 examples. And with Cyberfox, you can have different colors for the tabs using built-in customization, no addons/extensions/plugins/whatever required.
Windows 10 Pro x64 v22H2 8GB i5-4570|Pale Moon v33.0.2 x64

Smokey20

Unread post by Smokey20 » 2017-11-23, 08:44

van p wrote:
Giraffe wrote:It's more that I can't see much of a defined boundary between tabs, so having them rectangular with a separator helps a lot.
Actually, it seems to me that the only time you should have trouble distinguishing between tabs is when they're rectangular. If they're rounded, probably in any way, there's going to be some space between them. I can't imagine not being able to see where one ends and the next/previous begins. Look at my 3 examples. And with Cyberfox, you can have different colors for the tabs using built-in customization, no addons/extensions/plugins/whatever required.
But humps for tabs or rectangles is irrelevant if you set tabs vertical/tree style which I have done in all browsers except IE 10 (which I never use) for many years.
Wednesday, November 22, 2017 22;37;56001.png

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: CTR & Basilisk: location bar or other breakage issues

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-23, 12:06

Sorry to post so late, but it's a major holiday in my neck of the woods and has been hectic...
van p wrote:Not sure if this is offtopic, but...
Yes, it is off topic.
And likewise some other posts that aren't related to the original post.
(The topic was established by thread title plus original post taken together - or so I intended.)

I never had any intention or wish to start a general discussion on "tab extensions and Basilisk", TMP, tweaking, how tabs look, or any of that. So apologies if there was some confusion. But people, would you please kindly open another thread for that kind of stuff?

So just to be clear...
I decided to post after reading a github issue, linked earlier, that concerned a problem I too had encountered (and provisionally resolved) in order to share what what I had done or observed, but also to invite discussion of other CTR-related breakage beyond the location bar (if it occurs).

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: CTR & Basilisk: location bar or other breakage issues

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-11-23, 12:08

Pizzapops wrote:After some Aris adjustments, CTR 1.7.3.2beta1 is now working with Basilisk.
CTR 1.7.3.2beta2 works fine too and includes this issue's fix.
Pizzapops wrote:Quote from Aris:
The problem with location bars popup is caused by Basilisk not CTR.
CTR reads the browser version and uses code based on that. Basilisk shows itself as Firefox 55, but uses location bar code from Firefox 51-53. Because of that recent CTR versions fail to load the correct code required for the classic autocomplete popup.

Not so sure Aris actually stated anywhere that Basilisk "caused" the location bar problem, or framed the explanation in terms of fault. At least not in what I've found to read. Do you have a link?

Personal opinion: I don't believe you can assign causation to either the browser or CTR. The discussion on github is really interesting concerning why the breakage happened, starting with this comment and following.