Firefox Extensions

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

JerryWh

Firefox Extensions

Unread post by JerryWh » 2017-11-19, 15:40

Hi, be gentle, I am only a little bit techy

I moved across to Pale Moon because I didn't like the way Firefox has gone this last year. In some ways I love Pale Moon, it is just what Firefox should have been. However it has one or two difficulties and the main one for me is extensions. It is great that lovely extensions like toolbar buttons are still usable - but oh, so many Firefox extensions are not usable any more .. when I try to install them from the Mozilla site, they say I need a more up-to-date version of Firefox before they will install. And they won't let me even try to ..

So, I seem to be caught right in the middle! Pale Moon version number is too low, and Firefox is too "advanced" - so (eg) session manager is down a hole in the middle.

So my question is, where will Basilisk sit in all this? Will some/all/any Firefox extensions work with it/

Thanks to all those developing Pale Moon, and Basilisk .. variety really is the spice of life!

kbhasi

Re: Firefox Extensions

Unread post by kbhasi » 2017-11-20, 15:04

JerryWh wrote:I moved across to Pale Moon because I didn't like the way Firefox has gone this last year. In some ways I love Pale Moon, it is just what Firefox should have been.
I agree with you!
JerryWh wrote:However it has one or two difficulties and the main one for me is extensions. It is great that lovely extensions like toolbar buttons are still usable - but oh, so many Firefox extensions are not usable any more .. when I try to install them from the Mozilla site, they say I need a more up-to-date version of Firefox before they will install. And they won't let me even try to ..
Go to a plugin page, and then scroll down until you find a "view all versions" link. That indirectly solves some compatibility problems for me.
JerryWh wrote:So my question is, where will Basilisk sit in all this? Will some/all/any Firefox extensions work with it?
From what i've seen, Basilisk is only really a sort of testbed or "vessel" to test and develop their fork of UXP before the Pale Moon source code gets put on that platform. While I have never seen a screenshot of Basilisk, I now do believe that it uses the "Australis" interface (or the Quantum interface), and I think I understand the difference between XUL (which Pale Moon currently uses) and UXP (Universal XUL Platform).

Theoretically, newer versions (compared to what works in PM) of Firefox extensions (but not WebExtensions) should work, but I haven't tried it for myself.
(Sidetracking ahead)

On Linux, older versions of Firefox prior to the introduction of the "Australis" UI has had the UI rendered using GTK2 libraries, and Pale Moon inherited that practice. However, from what I've seen with Firefox (using the Australis UI) and Firefox Quantum, the UI is more unified across platforms, so they could have been based on UXP. That's just a theory of mine, anyway.

There's a chance that the Basilisk developers would develop their own UI (possibly porting over code from Pale Moon) to use in place of Australis, with the latter being there as a stand-in.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-11-22, 04:15

JerryWh wrote:.. when I try to install them from the Mozilla site, they say I need a more up-to-date version of Firefox before they will install. And they won't let me even try to ..
Install Moon Tester Tool. Then download the .xpi file from AMO. Now use Moon Tester Tool to install extensions that give you trouble from the file you saved. I've used it on a few extensions and they install and work fine.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

JerryWh

Unread post by JerryWh » 2017-11-24, 22:15

Go to a plugin page, and then scroll down until you find a "view all versions" link. That indirectly solves some compatibility problems for me.
nstall Moon Tester Tool. Then download the .xpi file from AMO. Now use Moon Tester Tool to install extensions that give you trouble from the file you saved
.. thanks for the suggestions guys, I will try both.

J

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-24, 22:28

LAR Grizzly wrote:use Moon Tester Tool to install extensions
MTT can't help to install add-ons into Basilisk.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2017-11-24, 23:07

JustOff wrote:MTT can't help to install add-ons into Basilisk.
Sorry it didn't work. It was a shot in the dark. :problem:
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.1.0, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.10.0esr, Thunderbird 115.10.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18.2

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2017-11-25, 03:09

So my question is, where will Basilisk sit in all this? Will some/all/any Firefox extensions work with it/
I only found and installed Baslilisk today and quite a few addons that didn't work with PaleMoon (Jetpack/SDK extensions) do work in Basilisk
I also found that some webext extensions working fine ublock-origin seams to work
other webext based addons do install but do not work like Tampermonkey
so if your addons wore old stile xpcom/xul they will most likely work with Basilisk, if they're webext some might work some might not it's a shot in the dark afaik even Firefox 52 ESR has a lot of issues with webext a lot of new addons won't work with esr