Translation/Localization: Language packs from FF 56 or PM?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

LigH1L
Fanatic
Fanatic

Translation/Localization: Language packs from FF 56 or PM?

Unread post by LigH1L » 2017-11-18, 10:36

Would the current Basilisk browser support UI translations via language packs from Firefox 56 or a current Pale Moon, or would you have to provide specific packs?
Fun and success!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Translation/Localization: Language packs from FF 56 or PM?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-19, 12:39

Current development does not take localization into account (it would be much too complex to constantly update translations whenever strings change in UXP/Basilisk). It's not stable enough yet (as in: things are very much in flux, especially front-end wise) to think about doing localization.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

balaco

Unread post by balaco » 2017-11-22, 01:41

Moonchild wrote:Current development does not take localization into account (it would be much too complex to constantly update translations whenever strings change in UXP/Basilisk). It's not stable enough yet (as in: things are very much in flux, especially front-end wise) to think about doing localization.
That is a very sad thing to read. Even if the translation is only partial (coming from Firefox), I would like to use my language instead of English only.

Keeping it always 100% done is not even close to necessary.

fipsy

Unread post by fipsy » 2017-11-24, 03:04

balaco wrote:Keeping it always 100% done is not even close to necessary.
I would support that. But I also understand that the effort required to maintain translations is considerable and takes a lot of time. Would it perhaps be an option to split up the translations among different people and automate them halfway? I would be ready for the German language to help in this respect. Another solution might even be to fully automate the translation process by using a good translation system such as Deepl (https://www.deepl.com/translator).

balaco

Unread post by balaco » 2018-05-10, 20:42

fipsy, I agree with you. If importing translation from Firefox is not possible (and I imagine it is), I could contribute with translations for (any) Portuguese, which is my mother language.