Add-ons disabled? Including UBlock Origin??

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Re: Add-ons disabled? Including UBlock Origin??

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-20, 07:45

Terryphi wrote:After installing UBlock Origin I had to change the extensions.blocklist.enabled pref from the default true to false. It now works but there is another issue: my custom filters which work in Pale Moon, etc do not work in Basilisk.
Did you setup your custom filters again. My custom filters work fine (but they have to be setup again for a new instal of course).

Also how did you install uBo?

Because if you are talking about using the "Element Picker" function I think if you install from Firefox AMO then this function does not work properly in Basilisk.

You would need to install from HERE (Github), which is where I installed from.

You will need to scroll-down the Github page to where you see what is circled and click on that to get a good uBo install in Basilisk:
uBo install.png
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

rlcoone

Unread post by rlcoone » 2017-11-20, 09:32

I changed that config setting and it does solve the problem, however, I am concerned that doing so just masks the problem.

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-11-20, 14:05

@ Pale Moon Rising - thanks for your reply. After a few reboots UBlock Origin version 1.14.18 from AMO is now working as expected including the additional My Filters. I do not use the element picker function so cannot confirm whether it works or not for me.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-20, 21:17

I'll be setting up a blocklist server for Basilisk use -- it's clear we can't rely on the blocklists Mozilla serves us post v57. I was hoping to not have to do this but it seems their blocklists really only cater to "latest version" and nothing else.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-20, 23:17

While I'm not opposed to this, will setting up and running a blocklist server appreciably benefit UXP development and/or firefox compatibility?
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-21, 01:35

Moonchild wrote:People having these issues MOST LIKELY have copied their Firefox profile across to Basilisk. Don't do that and blame us when it breaks things.
I didn't copy my Firefox profile, either. When I started up Basilisk, as I stated in this thread over here, the Import Wizard asked me if I wanted to import my Chromium profile. I allowed it. Firefox was not even an option, as I stated in the previous thread, which I thought was an issue needing to be addressed, too.
If that is the root of the problem then the Import Wizard needs to be fixed.

Is there a correlation between using Ubuntu and its derivatives and having these issues? The Windows folks sound like they are not having these problems?
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-28, 22:19

gracious1 wrote:Hello, not long after I installed and began using Basilisk, a message appeared to warn me that some of my add-ons were disabled. I clicked on "Learn More" and was taken to this:
:wtf: So many issues/questions:
1. We need add-ons verified for Basilisk?
2. I downloaded this from AMO; is the problem that I used the Web Extension rather than the XUL edition from github?
3. How in the world did Ubuntu Modifications get installed? This is installed by default when the Canonical build of Firefox is installed, but how did it end up in Basilisk?
4. Has anyone else experienced this?

All help appreciated. :?

Basilisk 2017.11.13 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 14.04

ADDENDUM:
I removed the WebExt edition of UBO and installed UBO 1.14.18 XUL version. That was worse. I got a warning that it causes securty issues :wtf: :
So I clicked on the link "More Information" and I was taken to this page:
https://blocked.cdn.mozilla.net/i988.html
:wtf: :wtf:
i had exactly the same issue plus half a ton of cookiecrap came down too.Im sticking with pale moon and giving this a miss.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-12-29, 09:53

please try the latest version of Basilisk. we're fighting this Mozilla "remote updates" BS as best we can, but none of it is documented anywhere that I've been able to find, so we have to take things as they come.

On Windows, I indeed don't see any issues. I'm not sure why Linux would be different.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-12-29, 12:03

I just tested on Linux and latest Basilisk 2017.12.28. The setting extensions.blocklist.enabled false is still needed for UBO.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-12-29, 12:28

odd because i was able to install ubo without touching any config settings at all.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-12-29, 13:52

Moonraker,
I got the "..known to cause security or stability issues" warning when I updated Basilisk so I changed the setting to false and all appeared OK.
However, after reading your post I reverted the setting to true and the warnings appeared. However, disabling and then enabling add-ons made the warnings go away.

Previously, I had clicked on the "more information" link for one of the add-ons with the warning and it took me to information about a totally unrelated add-on. Something strange seems to be going on with the database.

GREGBKK
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by GREGBKK » 2018-01-12, 01:59

Just to say I also had the problem with random warnings about "stability issues". Disabling then re-enabling worked butt only for a few days at a time before it happened again. Changing the about:config settings as suggested here has worked, so far! Thank you.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-12, 02:48

Next person to mention the preference in any way including saying they switched it off and I will start pushing for the preference to be locked in the enabled condition permanently.

IT IS NOT A SOLUTION OR A FIX AND HAS EFFECTS BEYOND ADD-ONS!

I may loose that battle but I will try my hardest to win.

Just so you know.. We have pretty well resolved the issues surrounding add-ons including the blocklist and mozilla sabotage causing issues for users and that should be released sooner or later. So next release of Basilisk you must restore the preference to default.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-12, 02:55, edited 1 time in total.

GREGBKK
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by GREGBKK » 2018-01-13, 00:13

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Next person to mention the preference in any way including saying they switched it off and I will start pushing for the preference to be locked in the enabled condition permanently.

IT IS NOT A SOLUTION OR A FIX AND HAS EFFECTS BEYOND ADD-ONS!

I may loose that battle but I will try my hardest to win.

Just so you know.. We have pretty well resolved the issues surrounding add-ons including the blocklist and mozilla sabotage causing issues for users and that should be released sooner or later. So next release of Basilisk you must restore the preference to default.
Thank you for what you do with Basilisk. It might have been nice to start with the statement you finished with.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-01-13, 01:32

Just so we are clear here.. I am not doing this for Basilisk.. I really don't particularly care for it.. I do understand the usefulness as a Platform Development Aid and Example. I also understand that there is potential as an Australis-era Firefox-like product that can fill some user's needs in a way that Pale Moon many not be able to..

However, I am only doing things for Basilisk as far as I am doing things to help the Unified XUL Platform and laying the future for Pale Moon.. Of course, despite Mozilla's insistence.. Basilisk and Pale Moon's interests don't have to be mutually exclusive nor does the Platform. While I have done a little beyond what is necessary for the Platform in general for all to potentially use and the future of Pale Moon specifically, with Basilisk those are more the exception than the rule for me.

I of course have no wish to compromise Basilisk but I have no real desire to do much with it. Basilisk's future is unclear. It really depends on user and community interest as to what happens with it in terms of if it will stay the same as far as the application specific code goes, If it will advance in its own right, or if it will just sit there as a maintenance burden when doing things elsewhere in the Platform. Who is to say.

There is one thing that is clear.. I want to ensure the success of this Platform and see a bright future for all, especially, but not exclusively, the Pale Moon project.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-01-13, 01:34, edited 1 time in total.

ianas

Unread post by ianas » 2018-01-30, 10:13

I didn't want to start a new thread and my issue is basically the same
Basilisk on Linux seams to disable random addons it's disabled DownThemAll and Greasemonkey for Pale Moon
DTA was the latest version from AMO and it was signed with a valid key and while uninstalling then reinstalling fixed DTA I can't get Greasemonkey for Pale Moon re-enabled
can we get a Linux only update that does not disable addons?

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2018-01-30, 13:01

It's a known issue that should be fixed in the next release.