Add-ons disabled? Including UBlock Origin??

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Add-ons disabled? Including UBlock Origin??

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-18, 01:48

Hello, not long after I installed and began using Basilisk, a message appeared to warn me that some of my add-ons were disabled. I clicked on "Learn More" and was taken to this:
:wtf: So many issues/questions:
1. We need add-ons verified for Basilisk?
2. I downloaded this from AMO; is the problem that I used the Web Extension rather than the XUL edition from github?
3. How in the world did Ubuntu Modifications get installed? This is installed by default when the Canonical build of Firefox is installed, but how did it end up in Basilisk?
4. Has anyone else experienced this?

All help appreciated. :?

Basilisk 2017.11.13 (64-bit) on Ubuntu 14.04

ADDENDUM:
I removed the WebExt edition of UBO and installed UBO 1.14.18 XUL version. That was worse. I got a warning that it causes securty issues :wtf: :
So I clicked on the link "More Information" and I was taken to this page:
https://blocked.cdn.mozilla.net/i988.html
:wtf: :wtf:
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

hobbledehoy899

Re: Add-ons disabled? Including UBlock Origin??

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-11-18, 02:09

I really don't think that this build was ready for release...

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-11-18, 03:51

That's very strange, I have no such problems, many add-ons run well, including uBlock Origin and CTR.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-18, 04:40

So far, I have not been able to successfully install any extension without Basilisk's disabling it. It is very frustrating. :!: It is basically not usable for me. :(
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-11-18, 04:42

hobbledehoy899 wrote:I really don't think that this build was ready for release...
Off-topic:
You are probably true, but Moonchild specifically stated that this product should be considered beta at all times as its *purpose* is different.

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-11-18, 06:59

I think, there is a problem with the blocklist.
If you open about:config, change the value of extensions.blocklist.enabled from true to false and restart the browser, then your add-ons are not disabled.
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-18, 10:03

I am seeing similar issues with most of my installed add-ons. These are the extensions I currently have installed:

Classic Theme Restorer 1.7.3.1 - This one seems to have no issues on my installation
DOM Inspector 2.0.16.1-signed - "Known to cause security or stability issues"
Location Guard 1.2.3 - "Known to cause security or stability issues"
NoScript 5.1.5 - "Known to cause security or stability issues"
Privacy Badger 2017.11.9 - "Known to cause security or stability issues"
uBlock Origin 1.14.18 - "Known to cause security or stability issues"
Cookie AutoDelete 1.4.4 - "Known to cause security or stability issues", also disabled with no way to enable

For every extension marked "Known to cause security or stability issues", the "More Information" link points to the same one posted by gracious1 mentioning the Hero Community Toolbar.

I can confirm that mseliger's tip fixes this, so it is probably blocklist shenanigans.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-11-18, 20:45

mseliger wrote:I think, there is a problem with the blocklist.
If you open about:config, change the value of extensions.blocklist.enabled from true to false and restart the browser, then your add-ons are not disabled.
Yes, that fixed it. Thank you very much! :thumbup:

Additionally, the Ubuntu Modifications disappeared. That was very strange that they should appear at all.
Specifically, the package is xul-ext-ubufox, which used to be necessary to install FF in Ubuntu 14.04, but now appears to be deprecated, so why Basilisk should have seen it at all is a mystery to me.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2017-11-18, 22:10

JustOff wrote:That's very strange, I have no such problems, many add-ons run well, including uBlock Origin and CTR.
Same here, no problem.
I don't need to disable the blocklist.

(Win 7-32 bits)
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-18, 23:07

JustOff wrote:That's very strange, I have no such problems, many add-ons run well, including uBlock Origin and CTR.
Same here, I'm using uBo without any issues.

In fact, no problems that I'm aware of with any of the following extensions I have so far:
1) Cookies Exterminator 2.9.0
2) Copy Plain Text 2 1.6
3) Decentraleyes 1.3.10
4) FEBE 10.0
5) Form History Control 1.4.0.6
6) Open With 6.8.6
7) Thin Tabs 1.8
8) uBlock Origin 1.14.18
Basilisk extensions in use.png
Btw, extensions.blocklist.enabled = true is the default in my case in Windows 7. ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-19, 01:12

People having these issues MOST LIKELY have copied their Firefox profile across to Basilisk. Don't do that and blame us when it breaks things.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-19, 18:30

Moonchild wrote:People having these issues MOST LIKELY have copied their Firefox profile across to Basilisk. Don't do that and blame us when it breaks things.
Partly so in my case. I only copied my extensions folder, which should only contain XPI files and not settings or anything else. However, after wiping my profile and re-installing CTR and DOM Inspector, I am still seeing this issue.
a.k.a. Ascrod
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-19, 18:48

^ What is your extensions.blocklist.enabled set at?

I have had no problems with the extensions.blocklist.enabled set to the default true, but some have said it helps in their case to set it to false (click on link for post) which may in some cases depending upon the add-on in question.
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2017-11-19, 19:17

Pale Moon Rising wrote:^ What is your extensions.blocklist.enabled set at?
As I said in the post right below that one:
Isengrim wrote:I can confirm that mseliger's tip fixes this [...]
Setting the config value to false is a valid workaround. The problem only occurs when the value of extensions.blocklist.enabled is set to true. I do not know if this is a recommended long-term solution.
a.k.a. Ascrod

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-11-19, 19:22

Moonchild wrote:
People having these issues MOST LIKELY have copied their Firefox profile across to Basilisk. Don't do that and blame us when it breaks things.
MC, I did not copy over my FF profile and yet I am having these issues . . . specifically both Decentraleyes and Status-4-Evar both have the message "Known to cause security or stability issues." Also, sometimes this same message appears for Classic Theme Restorer, sometimes not (which is weird).

So something is amiss somewhere.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-19, 20:06

helloimustbegoing wrote:
Moonchild wrote:
. . . specifically both Decentraleyes and Status-4-Evar both have the message "Known to cause security or stability issues.".....
I've already successfully installed Decentraleyes with no issues. And I've actually got the extensions.blocklist.enabled pref set to default true and still no problem.

So I decided to test the other add-on you mentioned (Status-4-Evar) using this FF AMO URL (since I like what it does): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/status-4-evar/ (which as we know will not work in Pale Moon and instead requires JustOff's Location-4-Evar extension to work in Pale Moon) and the Status-4-Evar extension off of the FF AMO site installed without a hitch and works as expected in Basilisk.

mseliger
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by mseliger » 2017-11-19, 21:05

I also have no copied my Firefox profile to Basilisk. I have made a new profile for Basilisk and one of the first thing is to add an adblocker. And then the error "Security /Stability issues" was shown. With changing the blocklist to false everything is o.k (i'll do changing a lot of settings, also the blocklist, all the time including in Pale Moon and other Mozilla products because of privacy and freedom).
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Greetings
Maria
---
Ich bin ein Westfale, und zwar ein Stockwestfale, nämlich ein Münsterländer – Gott sei Dank! füge ich hinzu ...
Annette von Droste zu Hülshoff, Bei uns zu Lande auf dem Lande

rlcoone

Unread post by rlcoone » 2017-11-19, 22:23

Running on Ubuntu and getting the same thing, all add ons are listed as security risks and most are disabled with no way to enable them. I did not copy my profile from Firefox, I dumped Firefox when I discovered Pale Moon. I started Baslisk from scratch.

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-20, 03:59

rlcoone wrote:Running on Ubuntu and getting the same thing, all add ons are listed as security risks and most are disabled with no way to enable them. I did not copy my profile from Firefox, I dumped Firefox when I discovered Pale Moon. I started Baslisk from scratch.
Welcome rlcoone, Apparently in some cases (not necessarily mine) it is helpful to change the extensions.blocklist.enabled pref from the default true to false as a current work-around.

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-11-20, 07:10

After installing UBlock Origin I had to change the extensions.blocklist.enabled pref from the default true to false. It now works but there is another issue: my custom filters which work in Pale Moon, etc do not work in Basilisk.