First public Basilisk release

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

First public Basilisk release

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-17, 08:59

Today is the day where we will put our first release of Basilisk out to the public.

F.A.Q. about this release:

Will this be the new Pale Moon?

No. It will not -- All previous posts on this topic already stated this, but since there are guaranteed to be people who will ask this anyway, here it is.
Basilisk and Pale Moon are two separate applications.

How stable is Basilisk?

Basilisk is development software, primarily created and published to develop the underlying platform (UXP - Unified XUL Platform) by having an active application that exercises all of the most important parts of it. Because of this development state, Basilisk will be akin to beta software at all times: it will likely have some bugs, it won't be perfect, and it will improve over time as the platform matures.

As far as stability of features is concerned: Basilisk will remain close to the state it is at now, as an application or front-end. We will not be doing extensive work on new features in the front-end of the browser and at most will bugfix or add some enhancements as-needed. Otherwise, the front-end and user interface will be stable.

Especially the first few releases are likely going to have a few rough edges as we'll adapt the application code to be less Mozilla-centric and more platform-centric.

I want to report a bug!

Great! We value your feedback and bug reports.
Please use the GitHub repository for UXP to file your bugs against the platform and the browser. Before opening a new issue, please check if the problem is already known (open/closed issues) by using this link.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: First public Basilisk release

Unread post by adesh » 2017-11-17, 09:43

Linux releases are only 64-bit. No support for 32-bit OS?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-17, 10:01

adesh wrote:Linux releases are only 64-bit. No support for 32-bit OS?
No. We discussed this and decided against it for Linux.
If people want a 32-bit build of Basilisk on Linux, they will have to build from source.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-11-17, 10:15

Got this trying to connect to PM forums in Basilisk:

Your connection is not secure

The website tried to negotiate an inadequate level of security.

forum.palemoon.org uses security technology that is outdated and vulnerable to attack. An attacker could easily reveal information which you thought to be safe. The website administrator will need to fix the server first before you can visit the site.

Error code: NS_ERROR_NET_INADEQUATE_SECURITY

Bill
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

medway01

Unread post by medway01 » 2017-11-17, 10:25

Moonchild,

Thank you for bringing Basilisk to my attention, I follow the announcements page and was alerted to its release this morning, short version, I have a friend who is visually impaired and is somewhat upset because the visual assistance plugins he uses in FF do not work, I know Basilisk is the first release but he should be able to use it, I have tested the few plugins he uses and they work !

I have sent him a link to download and try Basilisk together with some screen shots of the plugings working, also mentioned that it is a beta.

Thank you again,

Medway.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-17, 10:29

billmcct wrote:Error code: NS_ERROR_NET_INADEQUATE_SECURITY
Are you using an https-filtering proxy or antivirus?

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-11-17, 10:46

Moonchild wrote:
billmcct wrote:Error code: NS_ERROR_NET_INADEQUATE_SECURITY
Are you using an https-filtering proxy or antivirus?
No https-filtering proxy I am using Avast antivirus.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The difference between the Impossible and the Possible lies in a man's Determination.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-17, 10:58

I see.. the problem is the Camellia cipher suite when indicated as preferred. I'll have to look into that.
I've adjusted the forum server to not prefer it for now.
https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/moebius/issues/171

medway01

Unread post by medway01 » 2017-11-17, 11:07

Moonchild wrote:I see.. the problem is the Camellia cipher suite when indicated as preferred. I'll have to look into that.
Just to confirm, I also received the same error when accessing the forum during 'testing', since you made the adjustment the error doesn’t appear.

--
medway

billmcct
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by billmcct » 2017-11-17, 11:13

Moonchild wrote:I see.. the problem is the Camellia cipher suite when indicated as preferred. I'll have to look into that.
Thanks for that. Works correctly now.
Tommy Lasorda

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-11-17, 16:11

Will basillisk allow extensions?
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-11-17, 16:44

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-17, 18:30

Moonraker wrote:Will basillisk allow extensions?
http://www.basilisk-browser.org/features.shtml

Bilbo47
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Bilbo47 » 2017-11-18, 04:35

medway01 wrote: I have a friend who is visually impaired and is somewhat upset [!] because the visual assistance plugins he uses in FF [Quantum] do not work ... I have tested the ... plugins he uses [in this first release of Basilisk] and they work!
Just yesterday I was at a Web Accessibility seminar at a world-class university and the recommendations given were ...
- turn off automatic updates of Firefox
- stick with pre-Quantum versions
... until such time as FF once again supports screen readers and other assistive plugins, and stops discriminating against people with disabilities by
preventing people with disabilities from accessing the web.

TarekJor

Unread post by TarekJor » 2017-11-18, 10:08

Thank you very much for this, PaleMoon team, very appreciated, I am very interested on XUL, XUL Runner as "frontend" + addons-modules and experimentation, thanks for saving this beyond "Mozilla purge" ... (infinite thanks for this, really :3)

There are some interesting "standAlone" apps like the one named Zotero Standalone (years ago as an addon-extension XUL based) for Mozilla Firefox, for those who don't know, they are using XUL Runner and XUL platform.

Other apps using XUL are known like Seamonkey, ThunderBird, Bluegriffon (so maybe people behind them, will join this, ) on collaboration with "platform approach".

As well, other apps less common, like Komodo IDE and Kiwix (the offline Wikipedia)

BTW, I take the opportunity to introduce myself, new here, and I will to participate, gladly, on constructive feedback

Best regards ;)

krishna12

Unread post by krishna12 » 2017-11-18, 12:58

Will Basilisk security updates be at the same frequency / on the same schedule as PaleMoon?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-18, 18:05

krishna12 wrote:Will Basilisk security updates be at the same frequency / on the same schedule as PaleMoon?
Of course! Why wouldn't they be?

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-11-18, 18:14

How do we know when there has been an update? There is nothing on Basilisk's webpage, nor on the installation file, stating a version number.

(Sorry if you already answered this somewhere.)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-18, 20:20

Updates are automatic in Basilisk.
Check Help -> About

Terryphi

Unread post by Terryphi » 2017-11-19, 07:36

Moonchild wrote:Updates are automatic in Basilisk.
Check Help -> About
What about the Linux version?