Basilisk Is Under New Management

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

pdemal
New to the forum
New to the forum

Re: Basilisk Is Under New Management

Unread post by pdemal » 2023-03-23, 11:55

Hello!
I can't access thru Serpent on XP to virustotal (https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload) since "basilisk55-win32-git-20230304-b588854a0-xpmod.7z"
I get a bland page!
Until "basilisk55-win32-git-20230225-69d0a1697-xpmod.7z" all was fine.
Hope you could solve this issue: virustotal very useful.
Regards

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-03-23, 12:55

pdemal wrote:
2023-03-23, 11:55
Hello!
I can't access thru Serpent on XP to virustotal (https://www.virustotal.com/gui/home/upload) since "basilisk55-win32-git-20230304-b588854a0-xpmod.7z"
I get a bland page!
Until "basilisk55-win32-git-20230225-69d0a1697-xpmod.7z" all was fine.
Hope you could solve this issue: virustotal very useful.
Regards
Basilisk is not Serpent for WIndows XP. Serpent for Windows XP is not Basilisk.

Serpent 55 is not even the same code base as Basilisk. Basilisk does not support Windows XP, and Basilisk version 55 was an old version that was discontinued in favor of what we have now. Honestly I have no idea why roytam1 thought it was a good idea to continue with version 55.

You should contact roytam1 on the MSFN forums for help with Serpent on Windows XP. More info can be found in this MSFN thread.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2023-03-23, 22:32

Off-topic:
I hate it when XP using morons keep showing up here and wasting everyone's time instead of at their enabler's doorstep :evil:
Why tf would you expect any official support for an unauthorized build for a long dead operating system that even Microsoft dumped over a decade ago? Go ask roytam for whatever help you want.
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 21 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2023-03-24, 00:15

pdemal wrote:
2023-03-23, 11:55
I can't access thru Serpent on XP to virustotal
Known issue with the website. Go to
about:config

Search for and double click on the setting and turn it temporarily to false:
dom.webcomponents.enabled
moonbat wrote:
2023-03-23, 22:32
Off-topic:
I hate it when XP using morons keep showing up
Is it really necessary to attack people that way just for using a different operating system you personally do not agree with? This behavior is the reason why Pale Moon/UXP has in the eyes of many people a bad reputation and attacks like that are used by certain people for further strengthening their bogus reasoning why it is bad. It is the more wise decision to strive towards convincing people to have a positive attitude which could motivate them to contribute to the code for example instead.

Also, some of the XP crowd have not a bad knowledge regarding the code UXP uses - instead of demonizing such people it would be more wise to have at least a neutral relation with them instead of straight forward antagonizing them.
Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-03-23, 12:55
You should contact roytam1 on the MSFN forums
I also agree with that here. This forum offers no support for Roytam1's variants.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-03-24, 00:38

Sajadi wrote:
2023-03-24, 00:15
Is it really necessary to attack people that way just for using a different operating system
It isn't just a "different operating system". It is a long dead OS that black hats have been feasting on for many years to build their bot armies with. Any communication from an XP user is likely to be filled with malware. You shouldn't sugar-coat the situation. :coffee:

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2023-03-24, 00:40

andyprough wrote:
2023-03-24, 00:38
It is a long dead OS
Nobody disagrees with that here, it is old and should not be used. Still, one thing is valid, people should be treated at least with some kind of respect - At least basic discussion manners should be upheld. Especially if it is a board which represents a software project it is important to ensure that it does not further fuel the negative sentiments of it's enemies.

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-03-24, 01:08

Sajadi wrote:
2023-03-24, 00:40
Nobody disagrees with that here, it is old and should not be used. Still, one thing is valid, people should be treated at least with some kind of respect - At least basic discussion manners should be upheld. Especially if it is a board which represents a software project it is important to ensure that it does not further fuel the negative sentiments of it's enemies.
So, you want to invite people that are running malware riddled machines to have respectful online communications about web browsers? Have fun I guess. Don't open any email attachments.

Eduardo Lucas
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by Eduardo Lucas » 2023-03-24, 01:29

andyprough wrote:
2023-03-24, 00:38
Sajadi wrote:
2023-03-24, 00:15
Is it really necessary to attack people that way just for using a different operating system
It isn't just a "different operating system". It is a long dead OS that black hats have been feasting on for many years to build their bot armies with. Any communication from an XP user is likely to be filled with malware. You shouldn't sugar-coat the situation. :coffee:
I sincerely hope this attitude has to do with how roy****, just*** and the related people to them are a bunch of dishonest assholes who hurt and still hurt the browser reputation by spreading lies about its open source code openness, violating branding (to those who doubt it, search in the forum for the first mentioned name behaviors/trickster-like evasiveness and questionable binary branding practices in early 2018-17 posts where he launched his fork) and not something that is more akin to the choice of their OS, as it would be concerning if this happened with windows 7 pale moon users along the road.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2023-03-24, 01:38

Why is this thread even still open? The original purpose of this thread was an announcement from Basilisk-Dev that they've taken over development and support of Basilisk. That was what, eight months ago? Shouldn't this be locked by now?
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-03-24, 01:44

Everyone here needs to tone it down. This is not a request, it's an order.

I have no issue with you discussing roytam1, Windows XP, the merits of using supported operating systems, Serpent, etc. I do have issues with arguing with each other and calling people morons for having differing opinions and making different choices than you.

Please don't conduct behavior like this again in any other forum topic in the Basilisk section of the Pale Moon Forums. Insulting and berating others is not welcome here.

I agree with Nagaikaze, there is no reason to keep this topic open any longer. I am locking this topic. If you would like to PEACEFULLY continue the discussion you may create a new forum topic.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756