FreeBSD port planned?

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.

Moderator: Basilisk-Dev

basedbongo
New to the forum
New to the forum

FreeBSD port planned?

Unread post by basedbongo » 2023-02-04, 17:57

title

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: FreeBSD port planned?

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-02-05, 04:21

There are no plans to release FreeBSD binaries at this time.

I believe it should be possible to compile Basilisk on FreeBSD. I am not sure if our WebRTC implementation will compile on FreeBSD or not, as far as I am aware this has not been tested since Basilisk is the only UXP application using WebRTC. You may have to disable WebRTC in the mozconfig, but again I am not 100% certain about that.

If anyone in the community is interested in contributing FreeBSD builds I am willing to host them on the Basilisk site.
Basilisk Project Owner

viewtopic.php?f=61&p=230756

basedbongo
New to the forum
New to the forum

Unread post by basedbongo » 2023-02-05, 12:11

I didn't mean binaries, I mean a port! A BSD port is a simple BSDMakefile which compiles the specified software and its dependencies, for example you can see https://codeberg.org/FreeBSD/freebsd-ports/ and https://github.com/openbsd/ports.

Are you fine with [Free|Open|Net]BSD developers releasing ports for Basilisk?

EDIT: I am currently trying to build Basilisk for FreeBSD. Are there any build instructions?

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-02-05, 15:50

basedbongo wrote:
2023-02-05, 12:11
I didn't mean binaries, I mean a port! A BSD port is a simple BSDMakefile which compiles the specified software and its dependencies, for example you can see https://codeberg.org/FreeBSD/freebsd-ports/ and https://github.com/openbsd/ports.
Ah, yeah I see what you're asking. I have used FreeBSD and OpenBSD in the past and am familiar with the ports tree.

The short answer to this question is no. FreeBSD will not allow us to submit a port because our build system uses Python 2 and they will not allow any packages that require Python 2 for builds.

There was once a Pale Moon package for FreeBSD in ports. They removed it because of the requirement for Python 2.
basedbongo wrote:
Are you fine with [Free|Open|Net]BSD developers releasing ports for Basilisk?
As long as you're following the license and compiling with unofficial branding I do not care if someone does this. If you wish to use the official Basilisk branding (it is not in the Basilisk repo) please contact me first and I'm sure we can work something out.

Off-topic:
The OpenBSD incident that happened a few years ago did not occur in an official OpenBSD repo and is not indicative of the OpenBSD project as a whole. It's a shame that that event caused such a divide between our community and the OpenBSD community, especially when the people involved in the incident were not directly involved in the OpenBSD project.
basedbongo wrote:
EDIT: I am currently trying to build Basilisk for FreeBSD. Are there any build instructions?
Take a look at the Linux build instructions for Pale Moon. It might also be beneficial to review the removed Pale Moon port I linked earlier for the list of packages needed to build on FreeBSD.

There is also a FreeBSD build of Pale Moon that was recently made available. You may wish to download that and then browse to about:buildconfig to see what arguments they are passing in the mozconfig.

This mozconfig should at least give you a starting point for getting Basilisk built on FreeBSD.

Code: Select all

export BASILISK_VERSION=1

ac_add_options --enable-application=basilisk
ac_add_options --enable-jemalloc
ac_add_options --enable-default-toolkit=cairo-gtk3
ac_add_options --enable-av1
ac_add_options --enable-eme
ac_add_options --enable-gamepad
ac_add_options --disable-official-branding
ac_add_options --disable-official-vendor
ac_add_options --enable-optimize='-O2 -w -msse2 -mfpmath=sse'
ac_add_options --enable-strip
ac_add_options --disable-tests
ac_add_options --disable-updater

# You might need to change this to --disable-webrtc
ac_add_options --enable-webrtc

ac_add_options --with-pthreads
ac_add_options --enable-jxl

# You might need to change this
ac_add_options --x-libraries=/usr/lib64

# Adjust to number of cores/threads desired to be used by the build
mk_add_options MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS="-j4"
Basilisk Project Owner

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2023-02-05, 22:26

If we want binaries, I can do binary builds on my FreeBSD 12.3 server.

Regarding "ports" there was a port in progress that used lang/tauthon instead of python27, which could theoretically still be feasible. However from what I know that updated port was never accepted into the ports system.

I love FreeBSD as an operating system but I have had a hell of a time getting changes accepted by them. Many years ago I made changes to the network system in FreeBSD to support PPP over Fiber Channel using their netgraph system and was unable to get it accepted. I can update the ports to work for Pale Moon and Basilisk but I only give them getting accepted at about 10%.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-02-06, 14:21

dbsoft wrote:
2023-02-05, 22:26
If we want binaries, I can do binary builds on my FreeBSD 12.3 server.
I have no issues with releasing binaries, but it sounds like OP would prefer it to be in ports instead.
dbsoft wrote:
2023-02-05, 22:26
Regarding "ports" there was a port in progress that used lang/tauthon instead of python27, which could theoretically still be feasible. However from what I know that updated port was never accepted into the ports system.

.... I can update the ports to work for Pale Moon and Basilisk but I only give them getting accepted at about 10%.
I'm not sure if OP knows this or not but as far as I am aware there are no Linux distros packaging Pale Moon or Basilisk in their official repos, and I am doubtful that we will have luck with FreeBSD ports for the same reasons that Linux distros don't package our applications.

Are there packages in the FreeBSD ports tree now that are using Tauthon? I don't think we should take the time to update the port to use Tauthon unless the FreeBSD ports team has demonstrated they are willing to accept other packages using Tauthon.

What are their policies regarding usage of system libs? If possible we should try to avoid a repeat of the OpenBSD/Pale Moon debacle.
Basilisk Project Owner

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-02-06, 19:10

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-02-06, 14:21
What are their policies regarding usage of system libs?
As far as I know the "system libs" issue is BSD-wide, which is one of the reasons why there has never been much movement, and why ports in general have always been rejected.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

andyprough
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by andyprough » 2023-02-06, 20:11

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-02-06, 14:21
I'm not sure if OP knows this or not but as far as I am aware there are no Linux distros packaging Pale Moon or Basilisk in their official repos, and I am doubtful that we will have luck with FreeBSD ports for the same reasons that Linux distros don't package our applications.
MX Linux has a special repo for Pale Moon, and that's where most Debian-based distros and Ubuntu-based distros get their Pale Moon from. MX and antiX both use that MX Linux repo directly, and mix Pale Moon in with their regular software offerings. I don't know if it's an "official repo" though.

dbsoft
Project Contributor
Project Contributor

Unread post by dbsoft » 2023-02-06, 21:33

Moonchild wrote:
2023-02-06, 19:10
As far as I know the "system libs" issue is BSD-wide, which is one of the reasons why there has never been much movement, and why ports in general have always been rejected.
There was a Pale Moon port for FreeBSD in the past, it looks like it did not use system libs:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/w ... rev=565330

Maybe the chances are higher than 10% ... I just know I struggled with my changes, but that was going on 20 years ago now, things may have changed.

PaleLuc
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by PaleLuc » 2023-02-19, 01:15

Hi.

I've been a user for many years but never participated here, just registered to report that I tried the FreeBSD port provided by DBSoft and ran into a rather strange and annoying bug.

When I scroll the page with the mouse wheel, the history buttons are triggered. I mean, first Palemoon goes back to the page visited previously. Then it comes back to the newest page. It seems to happen only when I move the wheel a bit too fast. I have to scroll very (unnaturally) slowly to avoid the problem.

Of course, it doesn't happen until I open a second page in the same tab so there is a navigation history.

I tried another browser in FreeBSD and it doesn't happen. It only happens in Palemoon. I am running the version that is available at the Palemoon site right now on FreeBSD 13.1.

I never had that problem on Linux.

I noticed the problem as soon as I ran it on FreeBSD. After a couple of hours, I imported my profile directory from my Linux installation and ran Palemoon again. Everything works: theme, extensions, history, cookies, saved sessions, passwords. But the scrolling problem remains.

I guess this is all that I can report. I hope it makes sense to you and can be fixed.

Thank you for your contributions and kind attention.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-02-20, 15:30

PaleLuc wrote:
2023-02-19, 01:15
Hi.

I've been a user for many years but never participated here, just registered to report that I tried the FreeBSD port provided by DBSoft and ran into a rather strange and annoying bug.

Thanks for letting us know.

This specific section of the forum is for Basilisk. If I were you I would repost this as a new forum topic in one of the other sections specific to Pale Moon, such as Browser Support.

Thanks!
Basilisk Project Owner

PaleLuc
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by PaleLuc » 2023-02-20, 18:07

Basilisk-Dev wrote:
2023-02-20, 15:30
Thanks for letting us know.

This specific section of the forum is for Basilisk. If I were you I would repost this as a new forum topic in one of the other sections specific to Pale Moon, such as Browser Support.

Thanks!
Thank you for your kind reply.

I made two mistakes:
1. I didn't realize this was the Basilisk section.
2. The bug I reported does not apply to PaleMoon. It was some specific Openbox configuration I have that works as expected in Linux but causes a problem in FreeBSD. Although it didn't happen in another browser it was happening with the PCmanFM tabs, so I saw it was something else not PaleMoon. I apologize for my mistakes.

Basilisk-Dev
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Basilisk-Dev » 2023-04-05, 14:36

Thanks to dbsoft we now have FreeBSD builds. Locking this topic.
Basilisk Project Owner