Basilisk EoL/potential takeover announcement

Board for discussions around the Basilisk web browser.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Basilisk EoL/potential takeover announcement

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-02, 11:57

Peking wrote:
2022-01-02, 04:35
Perhaps dbsoft could take over, assuming you're willing to accept an offer from him.
I'm open to any serious offers. Since this will become the application project of whomever takes it over, it will be on them to continue it as they see fit and to make sure they cater to the users of the browser. He should just be aware there won't be any platform support for Mac and he'll be entirely on his own in that respect.
The only ones I'm having on my blacklist are the ones who have gone out of their way to threaten me and my team mates and tried to actively damage/deplatform us (you know who you are).
"Remember, only you can prevent Earth's destruction by spelling Pale Moon with a space." -- Athenian200

daemonspudguy
Moonbather
Moonbather
Location: Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Unread post by daemonspudguy » 2022-01-02, 23:29

As much as I understand your reasoning for this decision, it still makes a little sad to see Basilisk die.

lost marbles

Unread post by lost marbles » 2022-01-03, 07:04

Well I was really happy to find Basilisk when firefox went to the darkside. As an artist I can appreciate having more ideas than time and the reality of having to choose what can actually get done. I personally chose basilisk over pale moon for its minimal esthetic and simplicity {being an artist not a coder} but I may now give pale moon a spin. If I am lucky someone will takeover and keep it good. Either way I thought you deserved a thank you. One of my sons is a developer {he's the one who suggested I would like Basilisk} so I know how much work goes into all this. :)

Peking

Unread post by Peking » 2022-01-03, 21:41

lost marbles wrote:
2022-01-03, 07:04
Well I was really happy to find Basilisk when firefox went to the darkside......... I personally chose basilisk over pale moon for its minimal esthetic and simplicity...
Indeed Basilisk has its merits. I myself prefer Pale Moon but also believe Basilisk is important. I've seen people turn their noses up at Pale Moon just for having an "outdated" (classic) interface. Such people might like Basilisk. Basically I believe Basilisk is important for making sure people have alternatives to Firefox. If someone wants a more "modern" interface, they'll have somewhere to go.

As promised I have contacted dbsoft on his forum to see if he is interested in continuing Basilisk. We shall see.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-14, 09:20

Peking wrote:
2022-01-03, 21:41
As promised I have contacted dbsoft on his forum to see if he is interested in continuing Basilisk. We shall see.
We have seen and it has (not unsurprisingly) fallen through. Between the offer I made being rejected, the alternative I offered being dismissed, and dbsoft basically wanting all Basilisk assets and rights as a free plaything with no guarantee he wouldn't be screwing users over the moment he got his hands on it, it was a no-go.
Not forgetting insisting that threatening to drag me to court to "test a theory" is perfectly normal and I was actually a fool thinking he'd ever admit to a temporary lapse in judgement in that respect, and showing a great reluctance to even supply the basic personal details needed to draw up the necessary paperwork, I've declined his efforts to take over Basilisk as a whole.

To make it clear to anyone reading this: I re-iterate once again, this involves an official and legal transfer of rights to branding, the domain and trademark. That requires a legal agreement and (to make sure whomever takes over the browser is actually invested in making it work and continuing and not an SEO quick sell cash grab, if nothing else) a token sum of money.
"Remember, only you can prevent Earth's destruction by spelling Pale Moon with a space." -- Athenian200

Peking

Unread post by Peking » 2022-01-15, 18:40

Moonchild wrote:
2022-01-14, 09:20
To make it clear to anyone reading this: I re-iterate once again, this involves an official and legal transfer of rights to branding, the domain and trademark. That requires a legal agreement and (to make sure whomever takes over the browser is actually invested in making it work and continuing and not an SEO quick sell cash grab, if nothing else) a token sum of money.
Well I guess I'm not surprised he didn't want to give you money/personal information given the previous conflict between you two. I'm no programmer but if I were going to take over I'd probably just create my own branding rather than go through legal-mumbo-jumbo. I'm pretty sure if anyone continues Basilisk that's exactly what's going to happen. Before you explode I'm not trying to convince you to change your mind about anything (that's clearly an unreasonable expectation), I'm just saying this probably isn't going to get anywhere.

Edit: As for going to court to test a theory, I'm not going to pretend I know how things are in Sweden but here in the US that probably happens all the time. Especially in the Supreme Court.
Open sourcers are digital libertarians, and they can't be herded. :cool:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2022-01-15, 23:00

Peking wrote:
2022-01-15, 18:40
Well I guess I'm not surprised he didn't want to give you money/personal information
go through legal-mumbo-jumbo
I'm not sure why you think this would be any different than someone e.g. buying a house or car or dog or anything, really.
It's not "mumbo-jumbo" and exchanging personal information is required for any transfer of property.
If he'd be sincerely interested then these would not be roadblocks, at all. I even offered an alternative if money was a problem but that wasn't even taken into consideration.

moonbat
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by moonbat » 2022-01-16, 00:10

Copyright and trademarks are meant to be respected and are separate from open source licenses. I have a few forked extensions published here on the addons site - for them I had to find separate icons online because the original ones aren't covered under MPL/GPL unlike the code.
And even then finding alternate artwork isn't simply a matter of Google image search - you have to respect that copyright as well. I have searched for Creative Commons licensed artwork and made use of that (you can filter by usage rights when searching Google Images).
"One hosts to look them up, one DNS to find them and in the darkness BIND them."

Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce x64 on HP i5-5200 laptop, 12 GB RAM.
AutoPageColor|PermissionsPlus|PMPlayer|Pure URL|RecordRewind|TextFX