Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
kbhasi

Re: Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-11-26, 11:57

So far, it seems pretty stable, however, so far, I only encountered one minor issue:

When adding Gmail, one has to manually change the authentication method to "OAuth2", at least for incoming mail, though I think it should also apply for outgoing. Next, I do like how you inadvertently decided to keep the Mozilla OAuth2 keys, so Google asks me if I want to allow "Mozilla Thunderbird Mail" to access my Gmail account. :D

Other than that, it does get almost all the Gmail folders correct, so this is pretty much just like Thunderbird, except you had to create your own branding as you can't legally use the Thunderbird or FossaMail branding, but most of all, I don't have to endure Mozilla's tasteless* "Photon" UI! Now to try my Outlook.com account, but so far, this is better than KMail that kept giving me errors when I try to open it, oh yeah, Thunderbird too.

*in my honest opinion

Anyways, Outlook.com does work using this tutorial, though it gets a few more folders wrong, but I'm certain it's an issue inherited from Thunderbird, and nothing to do with this.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-26, 12:21

I am gonna get my own API keys. No idea what is gonna happen to established profiles.. Should be fun.

As for the Account Wizard it will get enhancements over time. Also thanks for the outlook link.. I will add it to the faq.

Glad you like the client thus far.. I don't even consider it very Thunderbird anymore due to the changes I made.

Also, I could have gotten permission to use the FossaMail branding from Moonchild with almost certainly except by taking on the mantel of FossaMail I would not have likely been able to do what I wanted with the client.. Likely would have kept chat and calendar and the baby mode account creation and all the historical burdon of FossaMail and Thunderbird..

If that was the name of the game, I wouldn't do it and indeed before FossaMail died that was what was on the table which is why I didn't just take over.

No, I have my own vision and at a basic level I think Interlink is getting there.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-26, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-11-26, 12:34

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:No, I have my own vision and at a basic level I think Interlink is getting there.
Nice!

I forgot to mention that the link in the settings to download other dictionaries doesn't work, it goes to the Firefox section of AMO (instead of the Thunderbird section) but doesn't have the correct user-agent in order to download dictionary extensions directly, however, I managed to just copy the en-GB files from my Pale Moon extension directory into the Interlink extension directory, and that works.
Last edited by kbhasi on 2018-11-26, 12:37, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-26, 12:41

I need to fork dictionaries and put them up on the Add-ons Site for Phoebus 2.0.. Which is what I will be focused on for the rest of the year after First Release for Interlink assuming there isn't some critical issue requireing a chemspill update.

I am hoping to get that first release.. released sometime this week. There will likely be one more unstable before release and then the unstable channel will be shut down and remaining users will be put on the release channel.

I have made a command decision that the application will follow a hybrid rolling release. It will be built against the UXP code state of the current stable Pale Moon release but changes to the application, components, and modules specific to Interlink will come faster.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-26, 12:47, edited 2 times in total.

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-11-26, 12:52

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I am hoping to get that first release.. released sometime this week.
Dang, that's fast... I'm sure there'll be a way to switch update channels to "release".

Also, I didn't know Thunderbird had contacts and calendar support, Even then, I'm sure that wouldn't support any of the spiffy extra features Google Calendar supports though, but it's OK.

Edit:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:There will likely be one more unstable before release and then the unstable channel will be shut down and remaining users will be put on the release channel.
Oh.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I have made a command decision that the application will follow a hybrid rolling release. It will be built against the UXP code state of the current stable Pale Moon release but changes to the application, components, and modules specific to Interlink will come faster.
Neat!
Last edited by kbhasi on 2018-11-26, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-26, 12:55

I been developing this off and on for about three months and actually started before the money goal was reached.. So not as quick as you would think.

Pale Moon 28.0.0 was ported and made release in about four months with an entire team.. Though there was a lot of work involved.. Thunderbird was already done and compatibile largely with the platform just some research bugfixes and clean up and some redesign by me with some critical help from a few others.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-26, 13:00, edited 2 times in total.

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-11-26, 13:01

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I been developing this off and on for about three months and actually started before the money goal was reached.. So not as quick as you would think.
Neat! It does remind me of how I would want to work towards at least a working prototype before announcing my software projects.

I'm sure there'll be the day Steve Pusser (and others) would consider adding this to his PM APT/DEB repository he has on openSUSE OBS, but I'm fine with the built-in updater added in the Linux bzipped tarballs for both PM 28+ and this, as I know how to set the correct permissions for the directory within the "opt" directory.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-26, 13:13

As soon as I finalize build config then Steve, Travis, Deu, and khronosschoty are all welcome to provide distro specific builds as they see fit as they are all known to respect branding and build quality.

No Windows or BSD builders need apply. Linux 32bit builds may be produced for specific distro packages but no branded generic Linux32 build may be distributed.

However, all builders except those listed above must get explicit permission to distribute branded binaries built from source or repacks from BinOC produced binaries even if unaltered.

This and other policy terms will be offically written up soon on Binary Outcast.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-26, 13:17, edited 2 times in total.

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-11-26, 14:04

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:No Windows or BSD builders need apply. Linux 32bit builds may be produced for specific distro packages but no branded generic Linux32 build may be distributed.
Yep, understandable. Actually, I wonder what the unofficial branding package would result in it being branded as, seeing how Firefox remains itself, but without the fox in the logo, Pale Moon becomes New Moon, and Basilisk becomes Serpent.

Edit: I'm also considering trying the Lightning extension in order to add calendar functionality, but I haven't had much experience with adding extensions designed for Firefox's "Australis" interface into PM 28+, so I might try 2.x first.
Last edited by kbhasi on 2018-11-26, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-26, 15:49

You cannot run calendar in Interlink without building it with it due to built in binary components.. So what you are going to try will fail.

However, Australis has nothing to do with Thunderbird as it only has a visual facsimile of it.. It was only skin deep plus a tiny bit of xul markup juggling. It never had any Australis technology merely styling.

Also, it will never run in a non-mail application like Pale Moon because it is completely designed to work on mail only features with a very specific xul structure plus the afore mentioned binary components that are folded into libxul.

Additionally, if you were to build Interlink with lightning it would follow a conditional code path that is not supported and it wouldn't be the same resulting application.

In anycase, the unoffical branding is just an envelope and the application calls its self MailNews.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-26, 16:08, edited 7 times in total.

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-11-26, 19:15

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:You cannot run calendar in Interlink without building it with it due to built in binary components.. So what you are going to try will fail.
It did, but in a rather interesting way. It throws up this error, then the menu items are unclickable, and it's kinda like a shell of what it should be.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Also, it will never run in a non-mail application like Pale Moon because it is completely designed to work on mail only features with a very specific xul structure plus the afore mentioned binary components that are folded into libxul.
That's not what I meant.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Additionally, if you were to build Interlink with lightning it would follow a conditional code path that is not supported and it wouldn't be the same resulting application.

In anycase, the unoffical branding is just an envelope and the application calls its self MailNews.
I see. I could use Thunderbird assuming it works with some of the same "userchrome" hacks that work with Firefox, but I don't think I would want to waste my time dabbling with that. It's OK, I forgot that the calendar stuff wouldn't be too important for me, outside of watching for holidays.

On the other hand, gContactSync does work, outside it mentioning Thunderbird.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-26, 19:45

I told you it would fail..

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-27, 10:15

I think the X button being cropped didn't occur with the previous versions. Mouse-hovering crops it even more. Tested this on both 100-125 DPI (Windows setting, Interlink set at -1).
100 DPI.png
100 DPI.png (14.91 KiB) Viewed 2925 times

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-11-27, 11:50

That is probably caused by this: Issue #317 (uxp).

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-27, 13:10

It doesn't matter, I have corrected the issues in https://github.com/binaryoutcast/binoc-central/commit/af28bdb6813253564f9ab2abc874c0e832132ee9.
338c962d-d8b7-4630-b28d-cc8914d37bc0.jpg
338c962d-d8b7-4630-b28d-cc8914d37bc0.jpg (23.24 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
ede77c02-f694-4252-a98f-ea8d648e1d70.jpg
These of course have the mouse hovering over the close button.. Uses the same images as everywhere else.

kbhasi

Unread post by kbhasi » 2018-11-27, 18:14

back2themoon wrote:I think the X button being cropped didn't occur with the previous versions. Mouse-hovering crops it even more. Tested this on both 100-125 DPI (Windows setting, Interlink set at -1).

100 DPI.png
Yep, I've had the same problem too, but on the Linux version. Seemingly, it did use the GTK notification system initially, but eventually fell back to this, and the notifications now look identical to what you seem to get on your system.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-27, 18:47

Yeah, but it's irrelevant.. I fixed it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-27, 19:28

I may push the First Release of Interlink back a week to give a little more time to solve some other nagging concerns. You will still get unstables in the meantime.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-27, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-11-27, 21:03

Just tried the pre-release and it looks very good. I note that it respects the system font settings whereas TB did not. I never used Fossamail but Interlink is similar enough to TB for me to use without any qualms whatsoever. Will test with some extensions and configurations and see what happens. Impressed.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-27, 21:18

yereverluvinuncleber wrote:I never used Fossamail but Interlink is similar enough to TB for me to use without any qualms whatsoever. Will test with some extensions and configurations and see what happens. Impressed.
I believe it is similar enough to Thunderbird 3.1 in UI design and style.. Of course you can reskin it as you see fit.. Though don't count on Thunderbird Themes working without modifications.