Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
snertev

Re: Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-24, 08:00

I've a theme issue on Windows 10 Home.

Whenever I select a mail or rss folder with new messages, the tree folder text is rendered white on light blue. It's almost unreadable. Here it is an example:

Can anybody confirm this behavior?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-24, 12:10

snertev wrote:I've a theme issue on Windows 10 Home.

Whenever I select a mail or rss folder with new messages, the tree folder text is rendered white on light blue. It's almost unreadable. Here it is an example:

Fixed - https://github.com/binaryoutcast/binoc-central/commit/775d99af2c0cfc55f54745c13e499dcba49ed4b6
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-24, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-24, 13:27

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:

Fixed - https://github.com/binaryoutcast/binoc-central/commit/775d99af2c0cfc55f54745c13e499dcba49ed4b6
Too fast! :clap:

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-24, 13:52

Now, I'm testing my 10 mail accounts by accessing them via IMAP.

Everything works fine (always "so far"). However I've found a strangeness in account settings.

The provider that host my personal website provides IMAP accounts where all folders are children of the Inbox:

and the Trash folder choice in the account settings resets itself to "Choose Folder..." like this:

every time I re-open Account settings after having set the trash folder to Inbox/Trash.

If I delete a message in such accounts, it is correctly moved to Trash folder, anyway.

Instead in other accounts I have, where the Trash folder is not a child of Inbox, the Trash folder in settings is automatically selected and never resets itself to "Choose Folder...".

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-24, 14:03

snertev wrote:...the Trash folder choice in the account settings resets itself to "Choose Folder..."
Have you first synchronised/downloaded the IMAP folders of that account? I think the account folder settings need to be set after doing that. That setting works best if you select:

A) <my IMAP account>/Trash (or Bin etc., it depends on the IMAP account) rather than selecting directly:

B) Trash on <my Interlink account> which may or may not be an IMAP folder, but a folder you created manually.

The A) setting will only be available if you first retrieve/download all IMAP folders.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-11-24, 14:47, edited 3 times in total.

DocHifi
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by DocHifi » 2018-11-24, 14:45

accounts where all folders are children of the Inbox:
I think that comes from the provider, I also have one account like that (Freenet).
It is also so in Thunderbird, all others are normal.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-24, 15:13

back2themoon wrote:
snertev wrote:...the Trash folder choice in the account settings resets itself to "Choose Folder..."
Have you first synchronised/downloaded the IMAP folders of that account? I think the account folder settings need to be set after doing that. That setting works best if you select:

A) <my IMAP account>/Trash (or Bin etc., it depends on the IMAP account) rather than selecting directly:
Before I download the folders list, then I chose the Trash folder, but the choice doesn't stick for accounts in which Trash is a child of Inbox.

Nevertheless, when I delete a messege, it is moved to Trash anyway.

The functionality is there and works, but the UI in Account settings is reset to "Choose folder..."

I think it's just a cosmetic issue. Well, I hope so.
Last edited by snertev on 2018-11-24, 15:14, edited 2 times in total.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-24, 15:16

DocHifi wrote:
accounts where all folders are children of the Inbox:
I think that comes from the provider, I also have one account like that (Freenet).
It is also so in Thunderbird, all others are normal.
Sure, it's a provider's configuration.

I've other accounts in which the folder root lists folder at the same level of Inbox.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-24, 15:18

Ok, try right-clicking it/Properties and see if there's something unusual (= different from the other folders' settings).

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-24, 15:34

back2themoon wrote:Ok, try right-clicking it/Properties and see if there's something unusual (= different from the other folders' settings).
Nothing different, except Trash is not indexed for search. This is correct, I suppose.

Maybe, Trash was set the first time I've set it and only Account settings UI is reset.
Last edited by snertev on 2018-11-24, 15:34, edited 1 time in total.

JSladek
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by JSladek » 2018-11-25, 00:55

Just installed the 6900 version of pre-release linux version and it's working amazingly well. IMAP works fine as well as the few newsgroups that I am subscribed to.

I could not get the importing tool to work - no big deal, I just copied files over direct from FossaMail and did the setup manually. Been there - done that a few times with other programs.

Apparently extensions are not tied in yet. I went to the add-ons manager, but there is nothing there. I have only one extension of interest and I'll just wait an see later if it eventually pops up. Not a deal breaker, though.

Keep up the good work. It's really nice to see a mail and news program that does simply "mail and news" without all the other crap thrown in there.

Isengrim
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Isengrim » 2018-11-25, 01:04

Speaking of extensions, is drag-and-drop installation of add-ons supposed to work? While doing some testing I found I could only install using the "add from file" option from the Addons Manager, which works fine, but just feels a mite cumbersome sometimes.
a.k.a. Ascrod
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (64-bit), Debian Bullseye (64-bit), Windows 7 (64-bit)
"As long as there is someone who will appreciate the work involved in the creation, the effort is time well spent." ~ Tetsuzou Kamadani, Cave Story

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-25, 03:31

You can only drag and drop onto the Add-ons Manager.

q160765803

Unread post by q160765803 » 2018-11-26, 03:09

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:

Sorry to bother you but I want to ask a question:
How can I compile it myself?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-26, 05:25

Why do you need to compile your self? Upon release there will be Win32/Win64 and Linux64 in GTK2 and GTK3 flavors.

I think if you have to ask how to compile it your self you really shouldn't be conpiling it yourself.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-26, 05:34, edited 1 time in total.

q160765803

Unread post by q160765803 » 2018-11-26, 08:15

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Why do you need to compile your self? Upon release there will be Win32/Win64 and Linux64 in GTK2 and GTK3 flavors.

I think if you have to ask how to compile it your self you really shouldn't be conpiling it yourself.
I asked because there is no documentation and/or instruction about compiling in the repository.
Last edited by q160765803 on 2018-11-26, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-26, 08:18

q160765803 wrote:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Why do you need to compile your self? Upon release there will be Win32/Win64 and Linux64 in GTK2 and GTK3 flavors.

I asked because there is no documentation and/or instruction about compiling in the repository.
That is not in any way a requirement of developing this client or publishing it.

Tobin agreed to develop this client and publish it when reaching the donation goal. He didn't agree to provide documentation of any kind.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-11-26, 08:20, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-26, 09:52

Still doesn't answer my question ;)

Unless the lack of documentation for a product that though close to but has not yet had a first release quality.. uhh release is the answer then well.. Why should I answer your question when you won't properly answering mine.

As a sidenote, there is nothing in the MPL that says I have to provide anything than notification of the licence and at it's most extreme i merely need to provide code changes in the form of patch files to covered code and I can do it by physical medium for the cost of the medium and postage.

So why not give it another try: Why do you want to compile yourself?
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-26, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-11-26, 09:58

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Still doesn't answer my question ;)
There probably isn't an answer to it. ;)

I think it's more a question of "I'm used to seeing similar projects doing things such and such ways, so this one must too".
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-26, 10:01

Well, I can't write build instructions right now due to the fact that I am too busy drinking chocolate milk.