Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-19, 16:30

You do know every overlay adds a tiny performace cost right? So I am not going to overlay every internal about: page in the platform. No one should be using about:config enough that an overlay with persistance should be needed.

I am also not going to alter the Account Settings window's tree control width. This is simply not needed. The thing was designed at a time where 800x600 was commonplace so "smaller screens" is not a valid excuse. I like it just as it is. Try using shorter account names if you are having an issue with length.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-19, 16:31, edited 1 time in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-20, 12:01

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:You do know every overlay adds a tiny performace cost right?
No way I could have known a window remembering its size/position compromises performance. Just a user, so I am unaware of the technical stuff going on in the background. About:config is fine as it is.

Fair enough, these are all secondary issues/suggestions although saying that "the thing was designed at a time where 800x600 was commonplace" isn't really a point in favour of it staying as it is. Account Settings window still behaves counter-intuitively by modern standards even on larger screens, but I'm sure we can all live with it since it's not meant to be looked at all the time. Definitively more frequently visited than about:config though.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-20, 17:17

I am not interested in "Modern Standards". If I was I wouldn't be doing an email client or using xul.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-20, 17:39

Ok, I obviously didn't mean some trendy technology here but the "modern standard" of being able to see all text inside a window, no matter the size. Anyway... at least a mouse hover can reveal it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-20, 17:57

You are simply using too long of an account name is the issue. I am not going to change the tree control to expand based on the width of the window.

Besides, how much time do you need to spend in the Account Settings after everything is set up?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-20, 18:16

Like I said, it's not a problem and I'm totally fine with its current state. Not really spending time there, I just prefer being able to see all text, that's all. I won't rename because my names are of normal length and besides, the lengthier stuff will get cropped anyway ("Composition & Addressing", "Synchronization & Storage") - it's not just account names.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-20, 18:20

Oh yeah, you use larger DPI.. Yeah, I am not designing the application to be used with anything but 100% DPI. No wonder I couldn't figure out why you think it isn't a good length.

Have to set layout.css.devPixelsPerPx to 1.0 so the UI will be rendered at 100% instead of system dpi. You can change it back to -1.0 if you want.. But I am not taking any design issues resulting of non-default DPI.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-20, 18:29, edited 3 times in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-11-20, 18:23

When you do not use the nonstandard DPI it looks fine:
fig. 1 - Interlink Account Settings dialog
fig. 1 - Interlink Account Settings dialog

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-20, 18:33

This is from a laptop, 1366x768, 100% standard DPI. I'll check later from my usual 125% display.
IL.png

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-20, 18:47

That stupid Windows 10 scrollbar... I will nudge it a touch wider but that is ALL.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-20, 18:48, edited 1 time in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-20, 18:56

Ok, thank you. Hmm... I've applied a registry tweak to slightly increase the scrollbars size, although reverting to the default W10 setting doesn't seem to change much. Still from the laptop, default W10 scrollbars:
IL default.png
edit: that's probably not the issue, I see yami_'s example has no scrollbars at all. Guess it's the actual presence of the scrollbars.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-11-20, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-20, 21:57

I have increased the width of the tree control and the Account Settings window slightly which hopefully will accommodate scrollbars better.

Additionally, and unrelated.. I am working on stripping down ClassicTB2 into something that will use mainly Toolkit styling to have something more akin to Thunderbird 3.x's UI.. This also includes some restructuring of the UI to better accommodate it.

Since Interlink isn't a pseudo-suite with a bunch of extra junk like Chat or Calendar.. I see no real reason for Tabs to be on top any longer. So I am moving them back to the bottom.. Tabbed Mail was of course designed to be a simple hack to have mail in tabs.

For this reason, the slightly modified ClassicTB2 theme won't be included in unstables for a while because I have to sort out a few things.. You will be reverted to classic/1.0 which won't be Strata/Australis anymore.

This theme also needs some polish for WIndows 8+ and maybe Linux but on Windows 7 it should look pretty good and native! So stay tuned for that.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-20, 22:02, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-21, 06:46

Here is what is coming down the pipeline as discussed in my last post...

NOTE: This is obviously the Windows 7 Aero incarnation.. I will do tweaks for Linux and WIndows 8+.. Still, A REAL Mail & News Client
2613ce27-b4e2-4cb8-a9d3-9c5c81952afd.jpg

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-21, 09:39

In interlink 6891 (Win 10 Home, 32 bit), I've a strange behavior while reading a RSS feed:

http://www.newslinet.com/feed/

It shows remote images in RSS feed items.

I've set:

* "Allow remote content in messages" to disabled
* "By default, show the article summary instead of loading the web page" to enabled
* View -> Feed message body as -> Original HTML

I supposed that Interlink (and Thunderbird) can't load remote content with such settings. Instead they don't load remote content only if I set Feed message body as "Simple HTML".

Is a bug or a feature?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-21, 10:36

I don't know if "By default, show the article summary instead of loading the web page" is busted or what.. I'd have to check previous version's behavior on that..

HOWEVER, Feed message body as indicated at Simple HTML or plain text is likely what you want.

I will see if I can enhance this at some point and work out what the article summery instead of web page crap is about. Likely won't happen before First Release which I am planning for end of the month.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-21, 11:35

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I don't know if "By default, show the article summary instead of loading the web page" is busted or what.. I'd have to check previous version's behavior on that..

HOWEVER, Feed message body as indicated at Simple HTML or plain text is likely what you want.

I will see if I can enhance this at some point and work out what the article summery instead of web page crap is about. Likely won't happen before First Release which I am planning for end of the month.
Thanks. It's enough you look at it when you have time.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-21, 11:43

There should be a new unstable later today or tomorrow.. So look out for it.. Changes!

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-21, 17:25

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:There should be a new unstable later today or tomorrow.. So look out for it.. Changes!
Great! :D

BTW, I've seen on your github page that you have imported Sunbird ancient code into the repository.

Is there any chance to have a standalone calendar app based on UXP?

I'm currently looking for something that runs locally (PC or LAN) in order to substitute Lightning. I'm currently using UK Kalender, but it's proprietary code, though ultra-fast.
Last edited by snertev on 2018-11-21, 17:26, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-21, 19:28

There is a chance but it won't be until next year sometime.

I am pretty well full up on work for the rest of this year likely part into the next.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2018-11-22, 00:56

I think Summary is the Description field for each news entry. (Note that there is also a description field for the feed itself.)
https://validator.w3.org/feed/docs/rss2.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24