Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
New Tobin Paradigm

Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-03, 03:24

So give me your feedback, questions, and suggestions during the Pre-release phase of Interlink Development. Which you can get for Win32 and Linux64 (GTK2) here: http://binaryoutcast.com/projects/interlink/#downloads

Actual issues like crashes or failures should go to the GitHub repository @ https://github.com/binaryoutcast/binoc-central/issues

Reminder: The agreed one year commitment to development starts at first full release NOT pre-release unstables. So that the time to get it to release quality does not count against the time I am committed to serve.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-03, 03:28, edited 4 times in total.

werano
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: Pre-release Feedback Thread for Interlink Mail & News

Unread post by werano » 2018-11-03, 05:53

Thanks, great, it works :clap:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-03, 07:23

Right.. I have withdrawn the initial unstable builds because I am a moron and didn't check and flip the app.update.enabled pref.. I will rebuild with it enabled after I get some sleep. LUCKILY the updater WAS built so you can just click the check for updates or flip the pref manually.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-03, 18:26

My only wish would be for an option to remove the white/grey zebra stripes from the message list, and just keep a plain/blank/white background (as in FossaMail 38.9.4 for example). I know this sounds (and probably is) a "cosmetic" feature request, but it's just too central to ignore.

bobber575
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by bobber575 » 2018-11-03, 19:03

I have encountered an error in Interlink while attempting to send an email via Hotmail.
The truncated error message from the server is:

An error occurred while sending mail. The mail server responded: 5.2.0 STOREDRV.Submission.Exception:SendAsDeniedException.MapiExceptionSendAsDenied; Failed to process message due to a permanent exception with message Cannot submit message.

The SMTP settings I used were the same as I use for T-bird, except for the "Your Name" field.
I can post the full error message and other info you may require.
Should the files be posted here, or open an issue on GitHub?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-03, 20:43

Well, word around the internet is that you should do the following: set the smtp server to smtp.office365.com. Port should be 587, user name is the full email address, authentication = Normal Password, and Connection Security = STARTTLS.

However, i can't test this.. There have been known issues with Microsoft mail services with real clients for a couple years now.

Also..
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Actual issues like crashes or failures should go to the GitHub repository @ https://github.com/binaryoutcast/binoc-central/issues
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-03, 20:44, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-03, 22:01

New unstables are up and I half-assed a working AUS for the time being.. If you already have the initial unstable.. Check for updates. Now I am gonna take the rest of the weekend. Have fun!

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-04, 08:33

The Account Wizard perhaps needs some improvement, I can't find a way to directly enter an IMAP account with Authentication enabled. It defaults to "Connection security: None" and you then have to manually change it later in Server Settings.

You probably already know all this, I'm just reporting as I go along. :thumbup:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-04, 13:30

Indeed that is on the list of improvements. The old wizard was written way back when sec wasn't that important.

https://github.com/binaryoutcast/binoc-central/issues/34

I am glad you guys are taking notice of the little things that have had or need some care.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-04, 14:26, edited 2 times in total.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-05, 07:53

Yesterday, I've migrated 5 GB of emails (copied and pasted in Local Folders in my new profile) and 6 address books to Interlink without issues, so far.

Because I was previously using TB 60.3, I preferred to create manually the pop3 accounts and other preferences.

I've discovered that while creating multiple accounts, I'm not able to create new SMTP server entries through the Account Wizard.

It uses always the "Default Account" of the first SMTP server created through the Account Wizard.

I had to add other ones via Preferences in "Outgoing server" and then to select them in "Outgoing Server (SMTP)" of each pop3 account.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-05, 11:43

Minor issue, the Add-ons Manager window does not remember its previous position/size. It'd also be cool if you could implement the familiar Ctrl-Shift-A shortcut for the Add-ons Manager.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-05, 12:39

@snertev You can change the smtp server for a specific account in the Account Settings but I will double check to make sure I remember correctly that this works.

As previously stated, the Account Wizard needs some enhancement.

@back2themoon The Add-ons Manager isn't going to remember it's position without a significant change to its code because it isn't a proper window anymore and does not have what it needs to persist size and location in the xulstore.

For now it is set to open centerscreen else it would always open at 0,0 px coordinates. I was going to see if I can make it always open center relitive to the main window. Though, I may have to overlay it so it becomes more of a xul window with persistence.

As for the key combo, that is easy but I am concerned that it may conflict with extensions down the line.

You can return it to opening in a tab via Edit > Preferences > Display > Tabbed Mail if you prefer.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-05, 12:45, edited 2 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-05, 13:00

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:You can return it to opening in a tab via Edit > Preferences > Display > Tabbed Mail if you prefer.
That's more than enough, thanks. I tested with "Open messages in a new tab" but totally missed that fine setting just below.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-05, 13:10

Yeah that preferences tab sheet is new so are most of those prefs.

Of course it is all work in progress including the Preferences its self.. I want to rewrite the whole thing and add other important prefs and regroup them better.

The opening the Add-ons Manager and the error console in a tab or window is also new functionality anyway.

EDIT - I used an overlay to add persistence to the Add-ons Manager https://github.com/binaryoutcast/binoc-central/commit/328be3cc557118d15f57d5edbe0196125857d071
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-05, 16:24, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-07, 04:09

Unstable version 6884 is now out on BinOC and AUS. Do update.. Find the changes! Comment!

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-07, 09:45

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Unstable version 6884 is now out on BinOC and AUS. Do update.. Find the changes! Comment!
Please, pay attention that the link on your website download section returns a 404 error because it's still pointing to 6880 version that, I think, has been deleted from server. :D

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-07, 09:52

Oh, fixed. Sorry about that.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-11-07, 11:40

Today, I've done some tests with Seamonkey and Interlink on my second PC.

Firstly, I've imported my 10 pop3 accounts/5 GB emails/6 address books from Thunderbird 60.3 into Seamonkey 2.49.4.

Then, I've installed Interlink 6884 and it has correctly seen my Seamonkey installation and imported the whole pack of accounts/mails/address books.

The importation lasted nearly 2 minutes (a bit slower than from Thunderbird into Seamonkey), while Interlink indexed my mails in 4 minutes, at least according to its activity manager. No issue occurred.

Finally, what is "opportunistic encryption" meant doing in a mail client?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-11-07, 11:44

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Find the changes! Comment!
I only managed to spot that window sizes & positions (Add-on Manager / Error Console) are now remembered. :thumbup:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-11-07, 13:47

snertev wrote:Finally, what is "opportunistic encryption" meant doing in a mail client?
As long as the mail client has the potential to open non-message content even in a limited form some browser related considerations should be kept in mind.

Besides, remote content in html email is a thing never the less.

The default is for that junk to be off but the feature is apart of the current buzz so I added the gui preferences. If they will stick around in gui form is up in the air.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-11-07, 14:05, edited 3 times in total.