[COMPLETED!] Collection effort for a Mail&News

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: [COMPLETED!] Collection effort for a Mail&News

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-17, 07:56

I'll have to do some examination of the mailnews profile bits to see what can be reasonably recommended for a manual transfer.. The real issue is that the mailnews components are touchy. Way more than any modernish components. You do understand that this is at your own risk and if anything goes wrong when attempting this crap is on your own head.

Personally, I think a manual profile copy can be done reasonably as long as the profile has not touched anything newer than Thunderbird 52 and if you exclude the extensions and cache directories and reset most preferences that are NOT:

mail.account.*
mail.accountmanager.*
mail.identity.*
mail.root.*
mail.server.*
mail.smtp.*
mail.smtpserver.*
mailnews.*

I believe that would give you pretty much something akin to a cleanish state while preserving your shit.

Again, this advice is not to be taken by anyone and if you do take it at some point then the Interlink Mail & Newsgroups software will cause your workstation to begin leaking high energy gamma radiation.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-17, 07:58, edited 2 times in total.

Baloo
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Baloo » 2018-09-19, 00:42

Wow, I would have donated if I had seen this topic. Guess I'll give a few more bucks to Pale Moon. Thanks for doing this, as I've been using the security-patched FossaMail over the crappy Comcast client these days. Honestly, as long as there is a classic theme and can read emails, doesn't need to do anything else for me.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-19, 00:51

Well is this classic enough for the time being?

Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-19, 00:52, edited 1 time in total.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-09-19, 08:22

That's looking good - I don't like fancy layouts as the Classic one is highly functional (I always go for usability first).
Just to check on one point: when Replying, does the reply quote only the selected text from the message? I've tried a few clients that quote all of the message, regardless of selection?
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-20, 15:23

An update for people that might have a passing thought that I took their money and went on a cruise in the Bahamas or something.. :P

I am hoping to get to the point of some sort of Technology Preview build by end of next week but it will still be a bit rough of a preview and likely only Win32.

I did use some of the money to get a second m.2 ssd hard drive chip to install the linux on so I will be able to build and test on bare metal and not have to cut into the time of the Pale Moon Linux Team. So that is neat.

Anyway, thanks again for your support and in the end I hope you will enjoy this thing.

End of Line
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-20, 15:25, edited 2 times in total.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-21, 20:44

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Well is this classic enough for the time being?
Fine for me, keep it sober, avoid visual clutter :)
Last edited by Nightbird on 2018-09-21, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-21, 21:00

Quite excited about this, to be honest. Take your time and no need to rush anything. :thumbup:

bobber575
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by bobber575 » 2018-09-22, 11:53

This is going to happen sooner or later, so I'll be the bad guy and just go for it.

Will there be a specific area in the forums for this new application?

1. Suggestion/Request: Support for Lightning or equivalent gmail calendar.
2. Suggestion/Request: Support for Enigmail/GPG or equivalent.
3. Suggestion/Request: Support for "Clippings 5.5.2" or equivalent.

Thanks for your time.
Cheers,
G. R. "Bob" Main
Last edited by bobber575 on 2018-09-22, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-22, 12:12

I already said that past inital development there will not be a subforum here.. You can use the issue tracker at github once the final repository is established.

No, I will not support the calendar as it is NOT and never has been part of the application code. It is an advanced extension at best and it is not my job to support specific extensions.

If someone wants to take up the calendar extension development I will help facilitate it but nothing more on this front. I don't want to be responsible for keeping the code working but will consider offering it if the code becomes maintained and I would be willing to coordinate interoperablity. Though I think a restoration as a standalone application would be a better idea.

I am going to talk to the enigmail people about direct support but failing that I don't know.. Again, it isn't my job to support specific extensions.

I don't know what this Clippings extension is but did i mention it is not my job to support specific extensions?

My job includes supporting extensibility in the form of Toolkit/Overlay and Bootstrap extensions as well as Themes in general NOT any specific extension or theme. Jetpack extensions need not apply. This was stated before this started.

Extensions and Themes must have support for the application not the otherway around. This will be the ONLY time I will say this. Anything further on this specific topic will be ignored or marked RESOLVED INVALID.

Why? because I am not going to compromise my developmental freedom and advancement of core features and UI for the sake of pre-existing extensions and themes.. This is not to say that I would not work with extension developers but it does mean I will NOT be trapped into a "Pale Moon situation" where I cannot change anything for fear of lynchmobs..

I said I would do an extensible mail client with email, rss, and newsgroups that didn't look and run like crap and that is exactly what was presented from the beginning and it is what I will deliver.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-22, 12:54, edited 7 times in total.

werano
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by werano » 2018-09-26, 14:53

can someone please post me a downloadlink for the 64bit windows program
thx

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-26, 14:55

There is no program available for download yet. Watch this thread for news.
Last edited by back2themoon on 2018-09-26, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-26, 17:08

Oh good, I can still post here. Hi, I have been working hard on the code for the Interlink Mail & Newsgroup client, as promised.

You can track what I am doing here https://github.com/binoc-central/comm-mailnews/commits/TRUNK commit by commit. You will notice I started slightly before the collection completed.

More will be forthcoming.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-26, 17:11, edited 3 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-27, 01:02

Well thanks to some work I have shamelessly swipped from Aris of CTR fame.. I have completed an ugly hack to get the not-default built in theme to not be very Australis.. Though, the forked theme from ClassicTB2 is preferred and pref-set as default.

Check it out.
6bee5b61-93d7-43f3-9e51-5650bf7e3dbb.jpg
In all honesty both themes need a lot of work and that will progress as the year drags on.. BTW the year starts at first release NOT when I got my money.. So rejoice for that bit of fair play. But there you go.. No curvy Australis tabs visually present by default.

Additionally, thanks to help from Moonchild it seems that for the moment Enigmail works.. We tested it. I do plan to reach out to them in the near future to see if that can be one less thing I need to be concerned about.

Anyway, stuff is proceeding..
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-27, 01:06, edited 3 times in total.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-09-27, 01:14

I would like to see a way to compact the header or be able to use the Compact Header add-on.
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-27, 02:38

LAR Grizzly wrote:I would like to see a way to compact the header or be able to use the Compact Header add-on.
Okay? I am not going to build this in. The extension might work it might not.. Please don't bombard me with extensions. I promised extensibility NOT compatibility with Thunderbird extensions. If it works, it works, if it doesn't it doesn't. You will be free to extend the client as you see fit but compatibility is of secondary priority at best.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I am not going to get trapped into a bunch of stuff I am not allowed to change, remove, or add for fear of an angry forum mob hunting me down for changing a pixel. I want to make that abundantly clear. I will take suggestions, of course, but I am not obligated to implement them.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-27, 02:43, edited 5 times in total.

LAR Grizzly
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by LAR Grizzly » 2018-09-27, 03:10

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I will take suggestions, of course, but I am not obligated to implement them.
No problem, just a suggestion. I understand the complexity of starting a new program. All the best! :thumbup:
Win7 Pro SP1 64 Bit
Comodo Internet Security
Pale Moon 33.0.1, Epyrus Mail 2.1.2, Firefox 115.8.0esr, Thunderbird 115.8.1, and SeaMonkey 2.53.18

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-27, 06:14

LAR Grizzly wrote:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I will take suggestions, of course, but I am not obligated to implement them.
No problem, just a suggestion. I understand the complexity of starting a new program. All the best! :thumbup:
Thank you very much for your understanding dude.. Sometimes I unjustifiably annoyed when it comes to some questions just because of history.. Don't worry.. I am not evil.. NOT EVIL! :shifty:

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-09-27, 09:44

Impressed with NTP's commitment and feedback on the project. I look forward to seeing it. IF I come across some spare cash (three kids, two aged-Ps, three cats, one dog and a brother to look after) then I will happily push it towards the next project that NTP dives into.

:)
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

werano
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by werano » 2018-09-27, 10:23

ain't there a beta version for testing purposes?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-27, 10:29

werano wrote:ain't there a beta version for testing purposes?
There's an answer for that a few posts above...