[COMPLETED!] Collection effort for a Mail&News

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
werano
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: [COMPLETED!] Collection effort for a Mail&News

Unread post by werano » 2018-09-27, 11:19

sorry, i thought i could be from some help

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-27, 11:56

It isn't ready for beta testing yet.. I hoped to get a Technical Preview build out by the end of the week but it may not happen.. There is a lot to do to get it cleaned up enough to be presentable.

I am, however, trying to keep everyone updated on the status.. You can also watch what is going on at the temporary repository (the repo will be renamed at some point) on a commit by commit basis.. You can see I been working on it.

Also, before a proper beta can be released vs just a one shot Technical Preview.. I need to bring my site back from the grave. It has been dead for a few years now.. I am also trying to balance the client development with my other projects both UXP related and otherwise..

Remember Project Phoebus? Yeah I need to get back to work on that too... Besides, the mail client, Basilisk, and the Hyperbola people need an add-ons site.. So those are the two primary things I am working on.. They are both different projects so if I get tired of working on one I can switch to the other as a change of pace.. Helps prevent burnout.

So to reiterate, the Interlink Mail & Newsgroups client and Project Phoebus are my primary projects.. There is also the Borealis Navigator (because we don't have enough web browsers already), ABPrime needs some attention, the old Pseudo-Statics that I might care about need some work.. The list of secondary projects goes on..

Anyway, stay tuned.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-27, 12:02, edited 2 times in total.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-09-28, 04:14

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Thank you very much for your understanding dude.. Sometimes I unjustifiably annoyed when it comes to some questions just because of history.. Don't worry.. I am not evil.. NOT EVIL! :shifty:
I very much understand the frustration. I often see questions that have been answered multiple times on the forum and in my head I'm screaming, "OH MY GOSH PEOPLE, DID YOU EVEN BOTHER READING THIS VERY THREAD!!" I figure the best thing to do is roll my eyes and say nothing.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-29, 08:03

Presenting the Interlink Mail & Newsgroups Technical Preview

Well, it's the end of the week and as I promised.. Here is your Win32 build of a very rough, very alpha, very unfinished, barely acceptable technical preview of what I am continuously working on.

I am only giving out a zip package served from my personal sub-domain because my website isn't back up yet.

Here it is: http://personal.mattatobin.com/files/uxp/mailnews/interlink-52.9.6846.win32.zip

The profile location is final (%appdata%\Binary Outcast\Interlink), the shell service works, the branding is generic and there is no updater yet.. Just extract it and run. Have a blast with it.. Though do be warned, it could cause a massive earthquake on the 3rd time you run the application. So that might be a thing.

This weekend and this next week I am shifting gears to work more on Project Phoebus and maybe my website so there may be quite a slowdown.. but the week after I will be back at it.. Cleaning stuff up and creating actual branding and the like. Maybe even an updating unstable channel... One can only hope.

Peace!

EDIT:
You might be asking your self about the version number.. Yes, 52.9 is there for potential add-on compatibility as I have assumed Thunderbird's GUID.. The third point is the number of days since 2000/01/01 and is the true version number. So this is Version 6846.. Anywhere you see 52.9 .. ignore it.. it is meaningless except to install.rdf.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-29, 08:23, edited 2 times in total.

werano
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by werano » 2018-09-29, 15:18

just downloading for a trial, even if i prefer the 64bit versions, i try
thabks for your work!

werano
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by werano » 2018-09-29, 15:48

Tried to add German Language Pack don't work says incompatible with PM Mail* I tried with TB version 60, 62, 52, 54

* just created

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-29, 16:18

1. No language packs exist for Interlink.
  2. What is PM Mail?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-29, 16:49

PM Mail? It should read as Interlink or MailNews anytime the application's name comes up.. Screenshot please..

http://xref.binaryoutcast.com/binoc-central/search?string=PM+Mail&find=

Also, there are and will be no langpacks for Interlink.. It is strictly an en-US product.. Also, anyone here should know by now how much of a bad breaking idea it is to try to use Mozilla langpacks..
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-29, 16:58, edited 2 times in total.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2018-09-29, 20:02

Hasn't crashed yet. :thumbup: :clap: Not many errors in error console and most (all?) of those are from extensions.
Extensions:
ReminderFox is working. Makes up for Lightening not working IMO.
QuickNote is working.
uBlockOrigin seems to be working.
AddressbookTab installed, can't test button (see below).
I have a few other extensions installed that I can't test until I resolve email provider issues.

Cannot use Customize, nothing can be dragged out onto toolbar.

Since this app does news, is there a news feed we could use for testing and discussion? :coffee:
Win10home(1709), PM33.0.0-portable as of Feb 1, '24

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-29, 21:53

If the toolbar can't be customized one of your extensions is busted.. Nearly all if not all cam be customized... Also, do NOT try to install lightning from atbn it won't eork because the calendar comples binary components into libxul which are non-existamt in Interlink.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2018-09-29, 22:42

Surprisingly, it was ReminderFox. Might have to dig into that to see if I can find the cause.
And AddressbookTab does work.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-30, 04:54

Chances are those extensions don't fully work with Thunderbird either.. I haven't actually made many structural changes yet.

Michaell
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Michaell » 2018-09-30, 06:05

Updating to the latest version of ReminderFox solved it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-30, 15:07

So, I have made a developmental decision on what I am gonna do re: Windows Builds

Win32 builds will have conservitive optimizations and generally follow the same system requirements as Pale Moon.. Windows 7+, SSE2 instuction set..

Win64 builds, however, will get aggressive optimizations and favor AMD processors or more specifically not favor Intel processors and require the AVX(1) instuction set that modern processors have had for years now.. I would do AVX2 but that is a bit too new even for my view of reasonably modern.

As for the Linux.. There will be no Linux 32bit version nor will I authorize one. Period.

Linux 64bit will likely stick to sse2 as well as gtk2. If this changes, it will likely be a combo of gtk3 and AVX. If/when this happens I will authorise an sse2/gtk2 build if someone cares enough to do one. If I don't decide to do both.. Will have to see how it goes..

As for branding, once I create branding the following will go into effect:

No one may distribute branded builds of Binary Outcast software without my express permission. Nor am I likely to even consider it outside of Linux developers and contributors Travis, Khronosschoty, Steve, and deu.

Windows contribitors do not even bother asking.

Building for yourself with branding is of course acceptable as is unbranded builds but if you do unbranded builds you may NOT associate or mention Binary Outcast, BinOC, Interlink or my self unless it is in the form of a disclaimer that the build is NOT affiliated with said entities.

No saying "Unoffical build of X" without a direct disclaimer. If you want to rebrand then I will be more than happy to point out where all the sensitive spots are. It isn't that difficult.

End of line
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-30, 15:28, edited 2 times in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-09-30, 16:21

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:End of line
Nice :lol:

franstam
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by franstam » 2018-10-01, 06:02

oh shucks i didnt realize this was a community donation driven project and the donation details have been removed from the 1st post.
is there any way to contribute $$$ to this project at this point?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-10-01, 06:04

I got what I needed and wanted just support UXP development.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2018-10-01, 13:56

franstam wrote:oh shucks i didnt realize this was a community donation driven project and the donation details have been removed from the 1st post.
is there any way to contribute $$$ to this project at this point?
You can always donate to Pale Moon. It will benefit the mail client too, because they are both based on UXP and Moonchild and Tobin generally work on the same projects.

http://www.palemoon.org/

hidden
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by hidden » 2018-10-01, 16:10

Hi, the news reader is going to be with simple options or will have rich in options, switch to QuiteRSS because Thunderbird news reader it was light, but I would like to go back.

Thanks!

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-10-01, 20:29

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:PM Mail? It should read as Interlink or MailNews anytime the application's name comes up.. Screenshot please..

http://xref.binaryoutcast.com/binoc-central/search?string=PM+Mail&find=

Also, there are and will be no langpacks for Interlink.. It is strictly an en-US product.. Also, anyone here should know by now how much of a bad breaking idea it is to try to use Mozilla langpacks..
What's the problem (if problem) with the language pack ?
thks
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.