[COMPLETED!] Collection effort for a Mail&News

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Collection effort for a MailNews client by Tobin

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-14, 19:49

Rickkins wrote:Wife and I are on a very limited income until retirement funds kick in, in two years.

So we sent the minimum.
Little brooks make great rivers ;)
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-14, 20:46

I sent $5. I am sorry I could not offer more. Maybe next time...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-14, 21:26

yami_ wrote:I sent $5. I am sorry I could not offer more. Maybe next time...
You're fine, thanks!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: [COMPLETED!] Collection effort for a Mail&News

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-15, 05:46

Goal reached! The final donations were all small amounts but with many people donating, we easily reached the set goal (plus a $10 tip ;) )

The funds will be sent to Tobin today for his efforts in creating and maintaining the client -- good progress is already being made on it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-09-15, 06:13

For those of us that could not donate at this time, can we donate when
money is available? I won't have any free money until Nov. :think:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-15, 06:47

Since my quota has been reached please consider redirecting support back to The Pale Moon Project and continued Unified XUL Platform development.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-15, 09:20

FossaMail the sequel? this will make waves if the product lives up to expectation

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-15, 09:27

fillerup wrote:FossaMail the sequel? this will make waves if the product lives up to expectation
It isn't FossaMail. Also, I dunno what expectations people have except for what has been stated as the project goals. Mail (pop/imap), RSS Feeds, and newsgroups for Windows and the Linux.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-15, 09:51

it's not FossaMail, but it shares the same origins, philosophies, and feature set (addon compatibility being the major one) so comparisons will be unavoidable. i guess aside from the feature set, people will expect that it gets suggestions/new features implemented on some kind of basis, and generally remains free of bug.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-15, 10:30

fillerup wrote:...people will expect that it gets suggestions/new features implemented on some kind of basis...
Already thinking of new features? :D

Isn't it better to let Tobin do his stuff and wait for the first feature to appear? You know... the actual program?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-15, 12:19

fillerup wrote:it's not FossaMail, but it shares the same origins, philosophies, and feature set (addon compatibility being the major one) so comparisons will be unavoidable. i guess aside from the feature set, people will expect that it gets suggestions/new features implemented on some kind of basis, and generally remains free of bug.
Philosophies? What ones in particular. It is open source software and it is forked from Thunderbird. However, I never said anything about Add-on Compatibility. I said it would be extensible and support extensions. Bug free? I never said that either but of course I want it not to be unstable and to work for people.
back2themoon wrote: Already thinking of new features? :D

Isn't it better to let Tobin do his stuff and wait for the first feature to appear? You know... the actual program?
Yes it is. People need to let go of preconceived notions of what this client is going to be because this isn't a Pale Moon or Moonchild Productions project. I will decide the direction it goes as I see fit. Which is a Windows/Linux MailNews Client built on UXP focusing on Mail (pop/imap), RSS Feeds, and Newsgroups with extensibility that doesn't look like shit (by default).

I am not going to get trapped into a bunch of stuff I am not allowed to change, remove, or add for fear of an angry forum mob hunting me down for changing a pixel. I want to make that abundantly clear. I will take suggestions, of course, but I am not obligated to implement them.

At any rate, the thing will be good though. Just see the last screenshot I showed.

Also, https://github.com/binoc-central/comm-mailnews/issues
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-15, 12:29, edited 5 times in total.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-15, 15:19

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:Philosophies? What ones in particular.
the same ones that Moonchild Software adheres to, even if this will be a distinct project.
back2themoon wrote:Already thinking of new features? :D

yeah i might be jumping the gun a bit here, but there's a lot of dissatisfaction with the current state of email clients, esp. on Linux, and i think a good product in this marketspace will be able to quickly gain traction and capture a big following. i'm aware that it might be my optimism speaking, or that Tobin might not share the same vision for his work, but it's still fun to think about
Last edited by fillerup on 2018-09-15, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

JSB2000

Unread post by JSB2000 » 2018-09-15, 16:34

back2themoon wrote:
fillerup wrote:...people will expect that it gets suggestions/new features implemented on some kind of basis...
Already thinking of new features? :D

LOL. The first "feature" has already appeared, predictably, and right on schedule:
New Tobin Paradigm wrote: I will decide the direction it goes as I see fit. I am not going to get trapped into a bunch of stuff I am not allowed to change, remove, or add for fear of an angry forum mob hunting me down for changing a pixel. I want to make that abundantly clear. I will take suggestions, of course, but I am not obligated to implement them.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-15, 18:27

Hey, least I have a plan and direction I want to go and it is so clear. Unlike the lads over at comm-central that haven't had any plan for years except to try and keep building day to day.

Clear vision and simple goals is what is going to make this client a good one not wishywashy pandering and half-ass attempts to try to be like one of the cool kids.

Btw, if anyone was wondering thus far my client is so much more snappy than the eq Thunderbird. So I hope speed is something one wanted.

Additionally, if you are implying the first feature is Tobin in mail client form, you might be right. It has a job clear job to do and so do I.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to go remove the cloudfile component.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-15, 19:06, edited 10 times in total.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-09-16, 08:51

Two aspects that would be really useful:
1. Separate installation so that it doesn't pick up TB's or FM's profile.
2. Ability to import all data from the other two clients (not mods., obviously).
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-16, 12:42

Off-topic:
Maybe a dedicated sub-forum would be useful ?
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-16, 12:45

One is a given but two is not going to happen.

You will have to copy the profile manually and then let the client 'upgrade' the profile assuming nothing newer than Thunderbird 52.x has touched it.

However, I won't be responsible for profiles that were not created by the application its self.

Also, no.. no subform. This topic is fine for the time being until the final repository is created. After that feature requests, support questions, and bug reports shall be handled at Github.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-16, 13:05, edited 8 times in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-16, 13:30

Giraffe wrote:Ability to import all data from the other two clients (not mods., obviously).
Always a bad idea IMO, especially between different programs - no matter what their affinity is. I also like convenience, but much better starting fresh (clean profile) to avoid problems later, make the most of your new program, get to know it better and customise it properly.

For minor exports/imports like the Address Book, there are easy, compatible ways to transfer it over but complete profiles? Unnecessarily risky.

fillerup

Unread post by fillerup » 2018-09-16, 17:29

back2themoon wrote:Always a bad idea IMO, especially between different programs - no matter what their affinity is. I also like convenience, but much better starting fresh (clean profile) to avoid problems later, make the most of your new program, get to know it better and customise it properly.

For minor exports/imports like the Address Book, there are easy, compatible ways to transfer it over but complete profiles? Unnecessarily risky.
+1. browser profiles carry so much more data that i can agree with a complete profile migration, but there is no need for that here tbh

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2018-09-17, 07:34

Yes, of course - I was being over-enthusiastic. Just getting address book and mail boxes would be very useful though as they're the important bits.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.