second plee to revive Fossamail

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
galaxysurfer
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

second plee to revive Fossamail

Unread post by galaxysurfer » 2018-08-06, 23:24

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/08/06/thunderbird-60-0-release-information/ It's official Thunderbird is now the quantum email equivalent of Firefox. How would I go about doing security updates etc on last completed existing version?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: second plee to revive Fossamail

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-08-07, 14:34

I'm also back at FossaMail. Most of my extensions were nuked for good by the Thunderbird 'update'.

unknownone
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by unknownone » 2018-08-22, 14:23

I'm using the unofficial builds since months and I'm glad that they are still provided with security fixes. Thank you Moonchild for your hard work.
I would support the person that may decide in the future to revive Fossamail.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-22, 16:00

I'll do a mozilla-based MailNews client for 25 dollars a week for a minimum of one year. Special rate if paid up front.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-08-22, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

mr tribute
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mr tribute » 2018-08-22, 19:40

I use SeaMonkey for email and it still supports XUL extensions (try the online SeaMonkey extension converter). If those extensions go away at some point it doesn't matter to me. Extensions are important for a browser, less so for an email-client. I think I have a couple of themes installed, that's it.

zapper

Unread post by zapper » 2018-09-06, 14:58

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I'll do a mozilla-based MailNews client for 25 dollars a week for a minimum of one year. Special rate if paid up front.
I think if you set up a donations page people would be more than happy to do just that. I would give a 5$ contribution for a year for such a thing, I doubt I am the only one, :)

PS, good to see you back on the forums again.

edit: I think you should change the branding though. ;)
Last edited by zapper on 2018-09-06, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-06, 18:03

I am not asking for donations. I am asking for paid work with a weekly/monthly paycheck for at least a year commitment or an upfront discounted lump sum.

$25 a week or $85 a month or one time payment of $1,000 and you get your yet unnamed MailNews client for at least a year.

Keep in mind, I have to start from base Thunderbird that can't even be successfully compiled using UXP yet and boy have they screwed it up since 38. A lot of work to be done.

Only takes one person to fund this. Who will it be?

Remember, this is not affiliated with Moonchild Productions and will not be called FossaMail.

As an additional bonus, once it gets building and working, it is still open source so I must disclose it to anyone who asks once the first binary package ships so consider it an investment into the future. One that would benefit everyone.

Of course at that point anyone could effectively screw me over then so it isn't like I have no risk. Though I would not recommend it.. Unless you picked the one time deal then go for it.

Now you could say the reverse is also true but you have to know I'd loose all credibility if I pulled something like a cut and run. It is not in my best intrest to do so. All I pretty much have in life at the end of the day is my honesty. Yep, that unfiltered blunt honesty that has been known to drive people up the wall. For better or worse that is the most important thing. So give me money and I will give you a MailNews client.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-06, 18:50, edited 17 times in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-09-06, 19:26

I'm sure that if you set up something like a go fund me page for that project, and
made the deal that at the point it hit a $1,000 bucks it would get made.

That would allow more folks to contribute to the cause and spread out the
burden so that all of us could afford to contribute. The cool part would be
that you could stipulate somewhere that if it never reached the amount
required, that the rest could get donated to the Pale Moon project.

That way, the money gets used for a good purpose no matter what. :thumbup:

Just a thought anyway. :angel:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-06, 19:31

Nah. Cause I don't actually want to do this but I will for money. That is the point. I just want some money and people just want a mailnews client so I figure it would be a good trade.

No complicated crowdsourcing just money for work above and beyond all the stuff I do for free. It is an experiment I am trying to run.

See if money can be exchanged for goods and services via an internet forum thread.

Of course a requirement is that it has to be a real offer from my self and result in a real mailnews client and real money.

It is a very practical and meaningful experiment.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-06, 19:40, edited 6 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-07, 00:25

I'd just like to add that $25/week or a flat $1000 for a guaranteed development of software and updates for a year is a really, really good deal.

If Tobin doesn't want the headaches of setting up crowdfunding, then maybe a small group of interested people can simply pool their money together to come up with a grand. I can chip in too, because I'm just as interested in using a true Mail and News client in favor of crappy, ever-changing webmail with no guarantee that the next version will still work or suddenly gets loaded with ads or what not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Tony0945

Unread post by Tony0945 » 2018-09-07, 15:44

Count me in as long as you support XP. The go fund me page is a good idea too. I miss fossamail.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-07, 16:23

I will not support XP or Vista.. UXP's general Windows system requirements are Windows 7 or higher. I can't believe you'd even ask. Also, if I do it it won't be FossaMail.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-07, 16:23, edited 1 time in total.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2018-09-07, 17:11

Also interested - what will it be?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-09-07, 17:29

It would be a MailNews Client with a name and branding I haven't worked out quite yet. I can tell you this.. It wouldn't have a calendar or chat or other nonsense beyond a POP/IMAP mail client, newsgroup client, RSS reader because RSS is going to become very important again to those outside the mainstream (read: approved) internet. Also shall not have curvy tabs.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-09-07, 17:31, edited 1 time in total.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-07, 17:46

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:It would be a MailNews Client with a name and branding I haven't worked out quite yet. I can tell you this.. It wouldn't have a calendar or chat or other nonsense beyond a POP/IMAP mail client, newsgroup client, RSS reader because RSS is going to become very important again to those outside the mainstream (read: approved) internet. Also shall not have curvy tabs.
Would this hypothetical MailNews client support extensions? Even without extensions support this offer is very interesting.

Nightbird
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Nightbird » 2018-09-07, 18:59

Linux support ?

guaranteed development of software and updates for a year
and what will happen once the year is over ?
Last edited by Nightbird on 2018-09-07, 19:12, edited 2 times in total.
Diversity is key.

Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-07, 19:24

Nightbird wrote:Linux support ?
Probably possible since this would be an UXP application.
Nightbird wrote:and what will happen once the year is over ?
I guess that paid long term support would be an option.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2018-09-07, 21:04

I'm actually fine with FossaMail with the periodic security updates. It does everything I need a mail client to do. Unlike browsers things don't suddenly stop working because of a constant stream of new features. If anything there is a bigger risk of losing compatibility with the few extensions I use in FossaMail now. Really, what is missing in FossaMail that would require a move over to UXP?

yami_

Unread post by yami_ » 2018-09-07, 21:11

Cassette wrote:Really, what is missing in FossaMail that would require a move over to UXP?
It is simply not compatible with UXP, like Pale Moon was several months ago.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-09-07, 23:02

yami_ wrote:
Cassette wrote:Really, what is missing in FossaMail that would require a move over to UXP?
It is simply not compatible with UXP, like Pale Moon was several months ago.
I think you misunderstand the question. the question is "why would moving to UXP be needed, anyway?" -- in short, it isn't needed, per se.
FossaMail as-is can be maintained as a LTS, security-updates-only client, but it's a maintenance burden for me, so if Tobin can get an updated, dedicated mail/news client running on UXP, that would be great (since sec updates will depend on work already done for the platform anyway)

If Tobin is going ahead with his MailNews client, though, it'll have to support extensions -- because without that, it'd be too much of a loss for me (most notably the PGP integration for encrypted and signed mail through Enigmail). I do use the calendar but it's low-key enough to do without.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite