Custom Program Icon

Archived user self-help and discussion area.
Forum rules
This board is for people who continue to use FossaMail, whether the last official build or later unofficial (private) builds. Exchange ideas, tips, etc. -- users helping users.
No official support will be provided here, this is purely for those who continue using FossaMail for as long as it's still viable.
Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Custom Program Icon

Unread post by Cassette » 2017-07-06, 00:22

I've been changing the icon for FossaMail as it appears on the upper left of the application to the Thunderbird icon. Every time I install FossaMail it's a battle to get it to accept it involving uninstalling, reinstalling, clearing icon cache again and again until it finally takes. By the time it finally works for me I don't even remember the exact steps I took to make it work. Is there a procedure to make this go smoother?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Custom Program Icon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-06, 02:48

Cassette wrote:Is there a procedure to make this go smoother?
If you want Thunderbird, then why not use Thunderbird?

No, I don't think there's a faster/easier way. But what you can do is keep notes next time you do this, so you don't forget the steps.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2017-07-06, 10:29

I prefer the Thunderbird icon. It's technically possible to change, but it's tricky to make it work. You don't happen to know why it isn't just using the icons that are placed in the chrome > icons > default folder?

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2017-07-08, 11:11

Alright, I got it to work finally. I don't have the exact process down, but it seems that clearing the icon cache is more important than uninstalling/reinstalling FossaMail. Knowing that the next time it will be easier to take notes because I won't be fumbling through the steps as much.