threejs.org/editor causes Pale Moon to crash

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
alerikaisattera

threejs.org/editor causes Pale Moon to crash

Unread post by alerikaisattera » 2020-11-27, 06:35

Running Pale Moon 28.15.0 on Manjaro

Visiting threejs.org/editor results in crash with SIGSEGV. That website works with no problem in any other browser.

According to my friend whom I asked to test this, this occurs on Windows as well.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: threejs.org/editor causes Pale Moon to crash

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-27, 10:54

Confirmed. Seems to be the same reason as Issue #1624 (UXP), which unfortunately does not have a solution at the moment.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jarman

Unread post by jarman » 2020-11-29, 23:16

Switching javascript.options.baselinejit or javascript.options.ion to false in about:config seems to get rid of the crash. Everything will of course be slower without JIT compilation, but if the OP needs/wants to try out the site in PM, it should be possible this way (I only tried on Windows, though).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-11-30, 10:06

Thanks, that observation is actually helpful in narrowing the issue down a little.

FTR if you have a choice of disabling baseline JIT and IonMonkey, always choose for disabling IonMonkey (baseline implies Ion, and disabling baseline disables both).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jarman

Unread post by jarman » 2020-11-30, 10:54

Good to know. I mean I figured that's probably the case, but I'm not familiar enough with these internals to start making suggestions about them.

alerikaisattera

Unread post by alerikaisattera » 2020-12-04, 15:44

Setting javascript.options.ion to false prevents crash on Linux, but even then, this particular website is unusable in Pale Moon (mouse control in 3D view does not work)

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-12-04, 16:34

One problem at a time. For the moment the crash and a way to prevent it without complete screwing over of JS is the top priority.