Image Permission not block DataURI Images

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
johnIvan

Image Permission not block DataURI Images

Unread post by johnIvan » 2020-09-25, 20:49

https://dopiaza.org/tools/datauri/examples/index.php

Try to block images on this site and it will not work. I can understand why uBlock would not be able to block these as they are in the HTML.
However, if I say a website does not have permission to load images within PaleMoon, I would certainly expect it to skip over dataURI images.

Thank You!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Image Permission not block DataURI Images

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-25, 20:52

No, the behavior is as expected. Blocking of image loading in the browser pertains to actual network loads. If it's embedded in the HTML as a data: blob, then it's already loaded, the resource is already present, and there's nothing for the feature to do.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

johnIvan

Unread post by johnIvan » 2020-09-25, 21:05

That is unclear from the setting. I block images to not see them just as much as to save bandwidth. A parent could get a false sense of security by not realizing "Not Loading Images" means "Not Downloading External Images". Therefore it would make sense to change the wording or disable the rendering of dataURIs while this setting is disabled. Splitting it into "Download" and "Render" would work but I think 99% of people expect not loading to not show because it really is loading the image onto my screen.

I don't know how difficult or easy this would be on the back-end but the point remains.

Thank You!

johnIvan

Unread post by johnIvan » 2020-09-25, 21:14

In Firefox ESR I found "gfx.webrender.blob-images" and set it to "False" but the image still came through!
Thank You!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-09-25, 21:18

Guess we would need a permission regarding data: uris. That sounds messy tho.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-09-25, 22:28

I don't see what's unclear about "Load images" being about... loading images. It's not about "displaying" images or "rendering" images.

And no, we don't need a permission regarding data: uris that are embedded in html that is already retrieved. There simply is no advantage to it and it would just be a lot of unnecessary work.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite