Image Permission not block DataURI Images

The place to report Pale Moon specific bugs on Linux and other operating systems.
johnIvan

Image Permission not block DataURI Images

Post by johnIvan » 2020-09-25, 20:49

https://dopiaza.org/tools/datauri/examples/index.php

Try to block images on this site and it will not work. I can understand why uBlock would not be able to block these as they are in the HTML.
However, if I say a website does not have permission to load images within PaleMoon, I would certainly expect it to skip over dataURI images.

Thank You!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Image Permission not block DataURI Images

Post by Moonchild » 2020-09-25, 20:52

No, the behavior is as expected. Blocking of image loading in the browser pertains to actual network loads. If it's embedded in the HTML as a data: blob, then it's already loaded, the resource is already present, and there's nothing for the feature to do.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss

johnIvan

Post by johnIvan » 2020-09-25, 21:05

That is unclear from the setting. I block images to not see them just as much as to save bandwidth. A parent could get a false sense of security by not realizing "Not Loading Images" means "Not Downloading External Images". Therefore it would make sense to change the wording or disable the rendering of dataURIs while this setting is disabled. Splitting it into "Download" and "Render" would work but I think 99% of people expect not loading to not show because it really is loading the image onto my screen.

I don't know how difficult or easy this would be on the back-end but the point remains.

Thank You!

johnIvan

Post by johnIvan » 2020-09-25, 21:14

In Firefox ESR I found "gfx.webrender.blob-images" and set it to "False" but the image still came through!
Thank You!

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2020-09-25, 21:18

Guess we would need a permission regarding data: uris. That sounds messy tho.
return NS_OK;

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-09-25, 22:28

I don't see what's unclear about "Load images" being about... loading images. It's not about "displaying" images or "rendering" images.

And no, we don't need a permission regarding data: uris that are embedded in html that is already retrieved. There simply is no advantage to it and it would just be a lot of unnecessary work.
"Son, in life you do not fight battles because you expect to win, you fight them merely because they need to be fought." -- Snagglepuss