Lastpass log-in broken in latest Pale Moon

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
needsmoremusic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Lastpass log-in broken in latest Pale Moon

Unread post by needsmoremusic » 2020-07-18, 18:14

Today, using Synaptic, I upgraded PaleMoon to version 28.11.0 (64 bit). When I tried to log into Lasspass using my correct password, I get this from Lastpass:

"An unknown error occurred. Dismiss."

When I used my correct password for log-in, this happened over and over in the latest version of PaleMoon. I then opened a different browser and had no trouble logging into Lastpass. This then is a problem with the latest PaleMoon, my favored web browser.

[My sole OS is MX Linux, version 19.2 (64 bit).]

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Lastpass log-in broken in latest Pale Moon

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-07-18, 19:16

Does it happens if you use safe mode or a new, temporary profile?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-18, 19:38

*pokes head in* I know I'm supposed to be off-duty but I can probably help.
It's possible your profile already had old versions of the new format storage for passwords and certificates (e.g. when having copied a Firefox profile to Pale Moon or as a remnant from an old version of Pale Moon that for one version had an unintended migration happen). That would mean it's using old and possibly outdated passwords now.

To fix, it's most likely a simple matter of this:
In your profile folder, remove cert9.db and key4.db (do NOT touch cert8/key3 which has your correct data) with the browser closed. Then restart the browser.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

needsmoremusic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by needsmoremusic » 2020-07-18, 20:30

Moonchild wrote:
2020-07-18, 19:38
*pokes head in* I know I'm supposed to be off-duty but I can probably help.
It's possible your profile already had old versions of the new format storage for passwords and certificates (e.g. when having copied a Firefox profile to Pale Moon or as a remnant from an old version of Pale Moon that for one version had an unintended migration happen). That would mean it's using old and possibly outdated passwords now.

To fix, it's most likely a simple matter of this:
In your profile folder, remove cert9.db and key4.db (do NOT touch cert8/key3 which has your correct data) with the browser closed. Then restart the browser.
After closing PaleMoon, I followed your instructions but no luck: the problem still occurs. I've never run PaleMoon in safe mode so I'll attempt to try that.

[Incidentally, I have no - or couldn't find - cert8/key3. I only found and deleted the cert9.db and key4.db What does this mean that I don't have cert8/key3 which you say has my correct data in it?]

I didn't mention in my 1st post on this that in order to log into Lastpass, I turned to Iridium web browser where I had no trouble logging in to Lastpass-- I think Iridium browser is connected to or made by the group that created Chromium browser. This must mean that somewhere the correct data is being held by some PaleMoon file. Correct?

needsmoremusic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by needsmoremusic » 2020-07-18, 20:51

vannilla wrote:
2020-07-18, 19:16
Does it happens if you use safe mode or a new, temporary profile?
I ran PaleMoon in safe mode but again, no luck: still the same problem occurring with log-in to Lastpass.

Next, I'll try a new, temporary profile. Will my current be saved because I need certain files in it such as the one that creates all the open tabs I've kept open when the browser launches. Do I simply re-name my current profile folder? Is it that simple or should I move it to some other location in Dolphin (my file manager) ?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-07-18, 21:22

needsmoremusic wrote:
2020-07-18, 20:51
Next, I'll try a new, temporary profile. Will my current be saved because I need certain files in it such as the one that creates all the open tabs I've kept open when the browser launches. Do I simply re-name my current profile folder? Is it that simple or should I move it to some other location in Dolphin (my file manager) ?
If you open the page "about:profiles" you should see a button labeled "create new profile".
After you press it a new window will appear: carefully read what is written there and follow the instructions to create a new profile.
Make sure you don't make it the default one.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-18, 21:37

I possibly misunderstood the issue.
If "logging into lastpass" means you are logging in on a website and manually entering your credentials, then the "unknown error" might be a web compatibility issue, and not a password manager issue. "an unknown error" isn't very helpful -- perhaps the lastpass people could provide more information in that case?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

needsmoremusic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by needsmoremusic » 2020-07-18, 23:11

Moonchild wrote:
2020-07-18, 21:37
I possibly misunderstood the issue.
If "logging into lastpass" means you are logging in on a website and manually entering your credentials, then the "unknown error" might be a web compatibility issue, and not a password manager issue. "an unknown error" isn't very helpful -- perhaps the lastpass people could provide more information in that case?
Yes Moonchild, I go to www.lastpass.com to log in. I think in the past there was a standalone Lastpass app I used but I found it was, in time, replaced by the website version which always worked well for me 'til today when I upgraded PaleMoon. It seems more and more software companies are only favoring Mozilla/Firefox browsers and no longer working with PaleMoon. Not good I say.

needsmoremusic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by needsmoremusic » 2020-07-18, 23:15

vannilla wrote:
2020-07-18, 21:22
needsmoremusic wrote:
2020-07-18, 20:51
If you open the page "about:profiles" you should see a button labeled "create new profile".
After you press it a new window will appear: carefully read what is written there and follow the instructions to create a new profile.
Make sure you don't make it the default one.

I did as you indicated but still no luck: I still have that rejection of my correct Lastpass log-in credentials. I guess this was the final experiment that shows, as Moonchild writes here, that Lastpass just doesn't want to play nicely any more with PaleMoon.

Do the creators and developers of PaleMoon watch bug reports in this forum? If they do, they should tell the Lastpass developers to let Lastpass work with all versions of PaleMoon. Right?

needsmoremusic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by needsmoremusic » 2020-07-18, 23:25

If Lastpass developers have ended their working connection with PaleMoon, all I can do is use PaleMoon for everything else and also have Iridium browser open where I know I can log in to Lastpass and then copy any needed password from there.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-07-19, 00:01

The people over at Lastpass probably don't even know about Pale Moon.
As an experiment, you could also shoot a mail (or equivalent) to them telling them about your woes with Pale Moon.
If they are proper developers they would at least take a look and see if the browser has the features they need and (hopefully) give you a detailed response if it doesn't.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2020-07-19, 07:03

As an experiment I tried logging on to Lastpass.com with 28.10 and 28.11 each with clean profiles. 28.10 does log in correctly while 28.11 does not and shows the error described. The error console was no help because both versions show the same errors.

needsmoremusic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by needsmoremusic » 2020-07-19, 20:00

Cassette wrote:
2020-07-19, 07:03
As an experiment I tried logging on to Lastpass.com with 28.10 and 28.11 each with clean profiles. 28.10 does log in correctly while 28.11 does not and shows the error described. The error console was no help because both versions show the same errors.

Thanks Cassette for your most helpful experiment. Perhaps I can use Synaptic to go back to 28.10 so that Lastpass will again work for me. For years now, I've been using the free version of Lastpass which always worked trouble-free for me 'til I upgraded PaleMoon 28.11 yesterday or the day before.

I did contact the Lastpass team to report this problem and am awaiting their response. I'll tell readers here what I learned from them. I suppose PaleMoon developers changed something so that Lastpass log-in won't work in 28.11 OR maybe Lastpass changed their code which now makes Lastpass complain about 28.11-- I don't know which one's the problem.

needsmoremusic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by needsmoremusic » 2020-07-21, 17:27

Today I received the following from Lastpass:

Hello,

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

Unfortunately, Pale Moon is not one of our supported browsers. The only supported browsers are listed in our download page https://lastpass.com/misc_download2.php

Thank you,

Jose | Customer Support Representative
LastPass
www.LastPass.com

[End of message from Lastpass.com]

Now I'll either try to get the older version of PaleMoon via Synaptic or I'll just use the latest PaleMoon for everything except Lastpass and turn to Iridium browser (where Lastpass login still works) to fetch my passwords.

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2020-07-21, 20:01

Yeah, that's about what I expected. No help in deciphering their cryptic error message. Apparently a change in 28.11 caused the issue, but without a more specific error, it would take backing out changes and testing the builds to find out which. Unless more websites are affected by the same issue I doubt there would be a lot of interest by the developers to do that.

Have you considered using the extension? No recent versions work, but 4.1.67 still does.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-07-21, 20:23

And to think that supporting Pale Moon takes little.
I bet they didn't even take the time to check if Pale Moon (or Basilisk) has the set of functions they need, which probably does.

needsmoremusic
Hobby Astronomer
Hobby Astronomer

Unread post by needsmoremusic » 2020-07-22, 00:51

Cassette wrote:
2020-07-21, 20:01
.... Have you considered using the extension? No recent versions work, but 4.1.67 still does.

Is that extension only for a smartphone or also for a desktop computer (which is all I ever use: I have no cell/smartphone) ?

If it's also for a desktop computer, where do I get that extension?

Cassette
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Cassette » 2020-07-22, 04:22

Pale Moon itself doesn't work on smartphones. You can get that extension from the Classic Add-ons Archive extension. https://github.com/JustOff/ca-archive/b ... /README.md

99HVYSK
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by 99HVYSK » 2020-07-22, 06:11

Just an idea, why not migrate from LastPass to KeePassXC?
Pale Moon v29, pentadactyl, eMatrix, Arch Linux, twelve years old ThinkPad X200

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-07-22, 07:52

Disable the AbortController that was added to 28.11 and it will log in.
Toggle dom.abortController.enabled to false.

I guess there must be some issue with its implementation still; I guess what I added isn't exactly the same implementation like Chrome.

Please note that other websites will fail without it enabled, so there's no solution for this yet, only a workaround by disabling it when you need to go to lastpass

Not that it makes ANY sense to me why a login page of all things would need a DOM API to abort fired fetch requests...

FTR, I sent their support department a message to try and figure this out.
Hello.
Main dev of the Pale Moon web browser here. I know you do not officially support the browser at this time but I'm trying to find out the details of a particular login problem on your website so I can address any implementation error that may have been made. I've narrowed the problem down to the use of the AbortController API on your login page (it's unclear to me why you would need that API for a login form to begin with...) but since there are no further messages given by your website aside from "an unknown error" (and no details in the web developer consoles either that provide any information) I'm hoping you can provide me with some insight into what -exactly- is going wrong here with the login to your site. I'd greatly appreciate your cooperation.