28.9.0.2 crashes on some sites Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
tsifra

28.9.0.2 crashes on some sites

Unread post by tsifra » 2020-04-02, 20:58

Hi! I've created issue on github and got directions to post here.

New version 28.9.0.2 often crashes on some sites. If i browse facebook crash is almost guaranteed. Problem was noticed on 28.9.0.1. Prev version was okay as i remember 28.9.0. Program was initially installed from ppa. So i can't find a way to downgraderight now.

Yesterday i've tried to complie 28.9.0 from source but it's unstable. Please help to investigate and collect needed details.

PS: it's veryhard to post on this forum from Russia. We have to use vpn here to get to frre internet, but some vpn servers are blocked by forum. So have to switch off vpn etc.

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: 28.9.0.2 crashes on some sites

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-04-02, 22:36

Try running in safe mode and see what happens.
Also please post the required troubleshooting informations as indicated in the stickied threads.

tsifra

Unread post by tsifra » 2020-04-03, 09:11

Safemode also crashes with message "core dump", but in my opinion it's much more stable than normal mode.

How to reproduce.
1. Reboot machine
2. Load Palemoon
3. Goto facebook.com
4. Scroll page
5. Find post with "Read more" and click link to open new tab OR open any post in new tab by right-click on date mark
6. IfPalemoon doesn't crash repeat 4-5 several times

Tech details:
Your Operating system - ubuntu 18.04 64 bit
The exact version of Pale Moon you are using (desktop/portable. 32/64 bits, exact version number) - desktop 28.9.0.2
Basic hardware information if relevant: CPU, graphics card, amount of RAM - AMD Ryzen 3700X, RX580 graphics, 32Gb RAM
A description of the problem - crash while browsing
Bugzilla bug number if found - not found
Steps to reproduce the problem - described upper
Expected result - not relevant
Actual result - not relevant

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-03, 10:12

Please include the information in Help -> troubleshooting information (copy text)
More details about the crash would also be helpful.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

tsifra

Unread post by tsifra » 2020-04-03, 14:23

Menu "Help -> troubleshooting information" causes Palemoon crash also. Don't know how to give more details on this issue. Maybe i can run some debugger or something to collect data?

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2020-04-03, 14:47

tsifra wrote:
2020-04-03, 14:23
Menu "Help -> troubleshooting information" causes Palemoon crash also.
That's not something that should happen.
Can you list your extensions, at least?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-03, 15:02

If you are using Steve Pusser's repositories, please try updating to the +repack one recently updated there. There have been issues with some of the binaries put out by him lately using the wrong /mismatched source code.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

tsifra

Unread post by tsifra » 2020-04-03, 15:09

I'm on compiled from source version right now. Git cloned on 01 apr. All extensions were switched off, but not uninstalled. Should i try to uninstall them?

I have
Tab Mix Plus
ABPrime
nMatrix

But all extensions are switched off. Problem appeared in 28.9.0.1 first several days ago. I tried to compile earlier version. But result is the same.
Last edited by tsifra on 2020-04-03, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-03, 15:12

tsifra wrote:
2020-04-03, 15:09
I'm on compiled from source version right now. Git cloned on 01 apr.
What branch? if it's anything but a tagged release, then you should rebuild from a release tag.

tsifra

Unread post by tsifra » 2020-04-03, 15:36

I followed instructions here https://developer.palemoon.org/build/linux/

So initial command was
git clone https://github.com/MoonchildProductions/Pale-Moon.git ./
and then step-by-step
cd ..obj..
sudo make install

Is it latest release? I've fetched new sources right now and compiled again. Help ->Troubleshooting still causes crash. As i mentioned in starting message I had to compile from source only after 28.9.0.2 update was also unstable. I was using Steve Pusser's repositories before.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-03, 22:23

tsifra wrote:
2020-04-03, 15:36
Is it latest release?
If you followed the instructions there step by step (git first, then going to Build Instructions and carefully following he steps there) then it's pretty much release (+1 unreleased commit)
But:
tsifra wrote:
2020-04-03, 15:36
sudo make install
Nowhere does it say you should do this.

Are you sure you followed the instructions completely?

Also, have you considered running the pre-built and tested binaries instead of puttering around with compiling from source?

P.S.: For obvious reasons our support for people building from source and running into stability issues with their result is very limited, especially on Linux where there are too many variables influencing build time and run time.

tsifra

Unread post by tsifra » 2020-04-03, 23:06

You're right. Running "sudo make install" was very bad idea. There is no "make uninstall" etc Have to deal with it before providing any new details. Will try PPA again after all.

UPD: Succeeded with manual uninstalling. And installed PPA version from stevenpusser. Symptoms are the same. Crash when calling for troubleshooting menu. Have to wait for the next version i guess. But please consider that 28.9 was brilliant.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-04, 00:54

tsifra wrote:
2020-04-03, 23:06
And installed PPA version from stevenpusser.
Moonchild wrote:
2020-04-03, 22:23
have you considered running the pre-built and tested binaries
(as in, from the Pale Moon website)
tsifra wrote:
2020-04-03, 23:06
Have to wait for the next version i guess.
... We can't fix what we don't know is broken. If it is actually a bug in the browser then it'll have to be fixed -- it won't magically "solve itself".

tsifra

Unread post by tsifra » 2020-04-04, 07:43

Sorry for my misunderstanding.
I've tried two versions today. One from PPA another one was downloaded here http://linux.palemoon.org/download/mainline/
Both were unstable. Simplest way for testing now is calling troubleshoot menu that guarantees crash every time.

I've installed exactly the same system on virtualbox machine and browser was stable. So there is some problem exactly with my host machine. Maybe there are some bugs in code, but i think it would be very hard to debug.But we can try, if there is a way.
Thanks for your help and great browser, Moonchild

UPD: Transfered my profile to virtualbox machine. The same result. Browser is stable. So i suppose it's completely because of my machine.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2020-04-04, 09:11

Without more crash details (exception code, crashing module, etc. etc.) it's hard to say but this looks like this might be a graphics driver issue. The troubleshooting page does a few tests/graphics calls to gather information about graphics capabilities and it's possible that a broken driver crashes the browser when it is probed this way (e.g. for WebGL). That would not occur in a virtual machine because of the hardware virtualization.

tsifra

Unread post by tsifra » 2020-04-04, 09:51

You're right! I've uninstalled my amdgpu 19.50 (latest available) driver and everything is stable now. There was one more program affected, it was VLC video player.
Driver was not upgraded for a long time. Looks like some package that was upgraded the same day as 28.9.0.1 was released broke some amd driver functions.
Thanks for investigation and hints. Have to stay some time on generic linux drivers.