Restarting a non-default profiles doesn't work

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
hannahmontana

Restarting a non-default profiles doesn't work

Unread post by hannahmontana » 2019-08-31, 17:02

Steps to reproduce:
  • Create a new profile from about:profiles
  • In the new profile either install a new non-bootstrapped addon and press restart, or just choose the 'restart' option from the menu
  • Observe the window close and a new window of the default profile pop up

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Restarting a non-default profiles doesn't work

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-31, 18:19

If you do not use the normal on-startup profile manager and keep the default setting (automatically start with the default profile) then any restart of the browser will automatically start your browser with the default profile. That works exactly as it should.
If you want to actively use multiple profiles, start the browser with -profilemanager and uncheck "use the selected profile without asking on startup"
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2019-08-31, 18:31

Moonchild wrote:
If you want to actively use multiple profiles, start the browser with -profilemanager and uncheck "use the selected profile without asking on startup"
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what's going on here, but when I performed the OP's "steps to reproduce" it restarted on the same non-default profile, even though I have "use the selected profile without asking on startup" checked.

EDIT
Okay, I just discovered something. If you have two browser windows open, one with the default profile, and the other with a non-default profile, when clicking Restart in the non-default profile, it will indeed restart with the default profile just like the OP states (then you'll have two browser windows opens, both with the default profile). If you have only one instance of the browser running with a non-default profile and click Restart, it restarts with the same non-default profile.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-08-31, 20:08

I'm sorry if I didn't understand the entire situation here. I didn't mean to add to confusion.

If you have 2 browser windows open with different profiles, then at least one (the non-default, I'm guessing) will be running in no-remote mode. (if you have opened that with the button from about:profiles it will indeed be running in no-remote mode).
When hitting restart, the remote-enabled instance of the browser will open a new window in the already-opened (default) profile and you're NOT having 2 different instances anymore in that case, but instead just opened a new window in the running session. This is because the launch command sees the browser is already open and will in that case not launch another copy (that's by design).

All of this is correct behavior although potentially confusing if you don't know what's going on.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-09-01, 14:58

Off-topic:
IMHO...
A restart of a browser, from within any particular Profile, however initiated, should always reopen the same Profile, regardless of anything else.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-09-01, 15:49

therube wrote:
2019-09-01, 14:58
IMHO...
A restart of a browser, from within any particular Profile, however initiated, should always reopen the same Profile, regardless of anything else.
It does.

Only in the edge case where you are already running a different copy that is integrated in the OS it does not. There is no easy way around this without breaking other behavior that you want (e.g. not opening a new browser for every clicked link)