Website freezes Palemoon

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
NeuroTik

Website freezes Palemoon

Unread post by NeuroTik » 2019-04-19, 16:26

Link inside: do not click: Website contains 60mb of weblinks and is written in html. I understand it should take some time to 'load' but this freezes Palemoon 28.4.1 64-bit for Linux on a desktop for 14 minutes, haven't tested longer and a force quit is required with a session restore on my equipment. My internet speed is 16Mbps.

I've tried archiving it on 'archive.org' and even there it caused my browser to sporadically freeze. It did create a snapshot, but trying to visit it just times out archive.org.
The 'archive.today' service just times out after 5 or so minutes.

Since it's just html i wonder why there is this reaction, shouldn't above the fold load and then slowly load what's below the fold? Obviously sites like this are a rare occurrence, but it seems something changed where processing sites like this has become a problematic issue. It makes me question whether if this could be exploited on palemoon users that could lead to the same issue where the example trick was done where a large amount of divs in CSS could restart apple devices.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Website freezes Palemoon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-04-19, 16:52

NeuroTik wrote:
2019-04-19, 16:26
Since it's just html i wonder why there is this reaction, shouldn't above the fold load and then slowly load what's below the fold?
No, because that's not how web pages are normally laid out. It does display what is above the fold but the continued loading and repainting will simply swamp the layout engine and kill responsiveness until it is done. This is because you are creating a huge number of DOM nodes to display all the links (which isn't the case for say, just text) and if something grows beyond 50k DOM nodes, you'll start to severely impact performance.
On top, there is a rendering limit to how high any one element (be it a paragraph or even the body) can be -- and beyond that it will just stop rendering and display black.
This is all because you hit hard limits for the design scope of a browser.

If you want to display huge data in a browser, you have to be smarter about it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite