Pages not loading correctly in background tabs

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
lsbkf

Pages not loading correctly in background tabs

Unread post by lsbkf » 2019-02-08, 14:52

On some websites that load content on javascript, said content fails to load when the link is openend in a new tab and I don't go to see immediately. Also occurs when I open in the same tab but quickly change to another one to do something else while it's loading.
Examples you can try to open in a new tab, wait a few seconds, switch tab to it (console has errors), and F5 to confirm there was actually something to load (errors mostly disappear) :
https://osu.ppy.sh/home/news/2019-02-06 ... -4-results
https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php ... d=73072627
https://www.youtube.com/ fails to load the left column with my home / playlist / subscription list, but the middle is fine (video recommendations and others ...).

It works correctly however, if the content is setup to load progressively and not immediately :
https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tow ... isode_no=1 (strip images and comments section appear a few seconds after scrolling into them)
Pixiv is a weird case though, it's either progressive loading or doing all the bulk in one go depending on my fullscreen mode or activating thumbnails, but it still chokes either way.

Version 28.3.1
I wasn't sure if it was because of noscript/greasemonkey shenanigans with the new update, because it looks exactly like noscript blocked everything, but it happens in safe mode as well so it's not the culprit.

Nigaikaze
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: Pages not loading correctly in background tabs

Unread post by Nigaikaze » 2019-02-08, 15:14

lsbkf wrote:I wasn't sure if it was because of noscript/greasemonkey shenanigans with the new update, because it looks exactly like noscript blocked everything, but it happens in safe mode as well so it's not the culprit.
Try it all again using a new clean profile without any extensions installed. There have been reports here in the past of NoScript still causing problems even after it has been disabled.
Nichi nichi kore ko jitsu = Every day is a good day.

lsbkf

Unread post by lsbkf » 2019-02-08, 16:38

No luck with a clean new profile.
I tried bisecting (with a new profile each time), it seems to break between versions 27.9.3 and 28.0.1, although I'm not sure because PM 27 and before have other problems now that didn't exist back then (system is not the same, shared libraries changed, websites are probably using fancy bleeding edge features).

vannilla
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by vannilla » 2019-02-08, 16:49

I can see the pixiv gallery just fine, but the Osu page gives me errors about an undefined reference.
Reloading the page will then show the content as expected.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-08, 19:08

Please be aware that tabs in the background have their JS timers and processing throttled. One of the risks of websites that use JS to display actual content and not doing so with long delays in mind that can result from background loading is that the loading process might break.
This is not something we can do anything about.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Goodydino
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by Goodydino » 2019-02-08, 22:39

Off-topic:
I have set a set up that shows the pointing finger cursor if the link goes to the same tab and replaces the current page but shows a cross-hair cursor if the link is set to open a new tab. Those links should all open in the same tab as the page listing them, but they all open in a new tab. Why?
Mod. comment: unrelated.

lsbkf

Unread post by lsbkf » 2019-02-09, 04:30

So if I understand correctly, these pages could fail to load properly as well with older computers because it would take too much time to process for them ?
What do I do. Is there a configuration trick to let them go full throttle the first 5 seconds or so, and only then set a limit ?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-02-09, 09:18

lsbkf wrote:So if I understand correctly, these pages could fail to load properly as well with older computers because it would take too much time to process for them ?
That's possible, yes, but it's a little more subtle than that in how it all interacts.
lsbkf wrote:What do I do.
Load these sites in the foreground and/or complain to webmasters.
lsbkf wrote:Is there a configuration trick to let them go full throttle the first 5 seconds or so, and only then set a limit ?
No, there is not.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite