segfault (video-related?) with PM 27.6.0 on Arch Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
retronostalgia

segfault (video-related?) with PM 27.6.0 on Arch

Unread post by retronostalgia » 2017-11-14, 10:55

A recent Arch upgrade to libva appears to be causing Pale Moon to segfault when it tries to load certain pages, including YouTube, but also sites like Google and GitHub. I rolled back my package versions and tested to see which package upgrades caused the problem... it's one of these four although I'm not sure which:

ffmpeg
ffmpeg2.8
libva
libva-intel-driver

Looking around the web, this quote causes me to suspect that the libva update to 2.0.0 is the culprit: https://github.com/01org/libva/releases/tag/2.0.0
"Note libva 2.0.0 is not compatible with the old version of libva, but for most user, what you need to do is to rebuild your VA-API based application against libva 2.0.0"

gstreamer-vaapi was automatically installed on my system, but uninstalling it does not fix the issue for me. (IE the fix here does not work for me: https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=11718)

Also, toggling media.ffmpeg.enabled to False does not prevent the segfaults.

Running PM from the command line, the only text is "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" with no further details. (I can also post output from journalctl if desired, but it's quite verbose.)

For now, I've temporarily worked around the issue by downgrading those four packages to older versions.

Let me know if you need more info or if there's anything you'd like me to test.

Thanks!

--------------------
My setup details:
Laptop, CPU is i7-7600U, 16GB ram, 512GB SSD, screen resolution 1920x1080.
Running Arch Linux installed using the Antergos installer.
Using the MATE desktop
Default FFMPEG package installed.
Compton compositor installed.

Pale Moon 27.6.0 (64 bit) installed using the palemoon-bin AUR package.
In about:config, all "media." variables are set to their defaults.
installed extensions: Bamboo Feed Reader, Complete YouTube Saver, CookieKeeper, F.B. Purity, Google search link fix, uMatrix

retronostalgia

Re: segfault (video-related?) with PM 27.6.0 on Arch

Unread post by retronostalgia » 2017-11-21, 10:35

An Arch update seems to have caused a situation where PM (updated to 27.6.1) now insta-crashes on sites such as YouTube even if the packages I mentioned are not updated. I'm no longer sure of what's causing the issue. For now I'm going to see if FF 57 is a viable alternative.