Pulling marked text freezes browser

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
wildchild

Pulling marked text freezes browser

Unread post by wildchild » 2017-10-27, 15:41

An issue with palemoon I have noticed for at least a year is this. When I visit a page like https://www.golem.de/news/freie-linux-f ... 30840.html , mark text there, pull the marked text down and release, then the browser as well as most other components (except the mouse cursor) of my system freeze. I can then see how the text very slowly moves up to its original position. When it has arrived there everything works normal again. How long this takes depends on the amount of text und how far I have pulled. Here is a small video clip: https://vimeo.com/240178820

This is with a fresh profile and palemoon 27.5.1 on Xubuntu 17.10 running on a Thinkpad T500 GMA4500.
Is this a known issue?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pulling marked text freezes browser

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-27, 17:01

This sounds like a serious issue with your video drivers not handling transparency/composition well. The dragged selection is supposed to be transparent.
Please see if disabling hardware acceleration (Options -> Advanced) helps - browser restart required after changing the option.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

wildchild

Unread post by wildchild » 2017-10-27, 19:22

Hardware accelleration was enabled but disabling it did not fix it after restart of the browser. I also tried with Firefox 57.0b11 and Chromium 62.0.3202.62 and here everything worked fine.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-28, 00:48

FF57 and Chrome are likely using different parts of your graphical environment (Pale Moon uses GTK2; FF will be using GTK3, not sure what Chrome would be using) As such you really can't compare them for this particular issue.

Someone more familiar with Linux and its desktop compositing/theme engines/rendering will have to step in at this point.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-11-08, 19:37

I do not see the issue OP mentioned with 27.6, or the 27.5.1 version. Tried with two paragraphs selected - once released, text quickly moves back to its original position. Enabling/disabling compositing in XFWM did not have any major effect, only that while disabled, dragged text looked ugly (not anti-aliased) with a little flickering.