Mild bug found - Profile Manager

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
markfilipak

Mild bug found - Profile Manager

Unread post by markfilipak » 2017-08-05, 19:21

I'm experiencing a cascade of profile problems. When I attempt to create a repeatable bug report, another problem shows up...

...The cascade seems to have settled on a profile problem, which I've fixed. I'm sharing the result.

Here's my 'profile.ini' file:

[General]
StartWithLastProfile=0

[Profile0]
Name=default
IsRelative=1
Path=1oyhyp4u.default

[Profile2]
Name=arf
IsRelative=1
Path=j6fzmv53.arf
Default=1

What should happen: On startup, Profile Manager should highlight the 'arf' profile and wait.
What does happen: On startup, Profile Manager automagically launches '1oyhyp4u.default'.
What's going on: Note that there's '[Profile0]' & '[Profile2]', but no '[Profile1]'.
When I used a text editor to rename '[Profile2]' to "[Profile1]", a state of Joy was reestablished.

I would guess that PM is failing to find a '[Profile1]', so quits trying and launches '[Profile0]', despite the fact that '[Profile0]' is NOT marked 'Default=1'.
PM should be more robust.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Mild bug found - Profile Manager

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-06, 10:02

markfilipak wrote:PM should be more robust.
Or maybe you shouldn't edit these files by hand, and instead use the profile manager to create/edit profiles...?
[Profile{x}] headers have to be sequentially numbered. If not, Pale Moon will ignore out-of-bounds entries (that's also a form of being robust in light of junk in the .ini file).
Since [Profile2] is ignored, only [Profile0] is considered a valid profile, which means it's automatically default.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite