Warning Unresponsive Script

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
themew

Warning Unresponsive Script

Unread post by themew » 2017-07-02, 18:30

A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, open the script in the debugger, or let the script continue.
is the error which freezes the site.

This is our HTML5 (was flash) online chat software which was working on PM 27.2.x but no longer functions on PM 27.3

I've emailed the error to the developers of the software which they acknowledge but claim that since it works without errors in Chrome and FF (which it does) they're not willing to edit the code.
The error in DEBUG is: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create

Stopping the script stops the site from responding and I've read the posts in the forum and made the alterations in settings to match Chrome and FF which also don't work.

So, before I force our chat ops to keep PM and Chrome/FF open (just to use chat), is there something I can change or remove in PM settings to prevent the error or match the settings in Chrome/FF to use this software with PM again?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks fellow PM Linux users.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Warning Unresponsive Script

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-02, 18:50

It's impossible to answer your questions without knowing what the problem is. "unresponsive script" can be caused by any of many thousands of things.
Regardless, if the operators of the chat are already adamant they aren't willing to edit anything, it's very likely it's a known issue with their scripting that makes it cater specifically to Chrome-based browsers. (Later versions of Firefox are copying pretty much what Chrome does, so there's barely a difference).

Stopping the script will indeed stop all scripts on the page and make any web application unresponsive after that until the page is refreshed.

"making changes to settings" (I'm assuming in about:config) without knowing what they do or without any sort of background or known cause is not a good thing to do.

What is needed to be able to know more (and provide potential hints to a workaround or solution) is to know exactly what script is becoming unresponsive, and at what point in the script. The pop-up will have this information.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-07-02, 19:34

The error in DEBUG is: mutating the [[Prototype]] of an object will cause your code to run very slowly; instead create the object with the correct initial [[Prototype]] value using Object.create

Is there a way to force PM to ignore the Javascript error? Matching the JS timeout settings to Chrome/FF doesn't seem to have an effect.

Moonchild, I don't want you to spend too much time on this with me... Could be that in PM 27.4 the issue is gone. Again, just looking for a way to tell PM to ignore the error.

Thanks!

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-07-02, 20:35

That's not an error. It's a warning that the script is doing something that will potentially make it run very slowly.

As it's just a warning, all that happens is it gets output to the browser log and then carries on as normal, for whatever 'normal' might be.

You will probably see that warning in firefox as well, in which case I'd post it to the developers of that module, as they should really be taking notice of that sort of message.

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-07-02, 20:46

thosrtanner wrote:That's not an error. It's a warning that the script is doing something that will potentially make it run very slowly.

As it's just a warning, all that happens is it gets output to the browser log and then carries on as normal, for whatever 'normal' might be.

You will probably see that warning in firefox as well, in which case I'd post it to the developers of that module, as they should really be taking notice of that sort of message.
Currently I can only the stop script in order to unfreeze the browser and close the tab. If I open the script in the debugger, I see the error I posted, but the script stops and freezes the browser. If I let the script continue, it freezes the tab/browser until the notice appears again.

I wish I could carry on as normal, but the script stops Pale Moon completely until I close the crashed tab. This doesn't occur in FF at all. I truly hate running 2 browsers for the sake of 1 site.

thosrtanner
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by thosrtanner » 2017-07-02, 21:05

the message in the browser console is not an error, it is a warning. have you checked the firefox browser console to see if it gets the same message?

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-07-02, 22:01

thosrtanner wrote:the message in the browser console is not an error, it is a warning. have you checked the firefox browser console to see if it gets the same message?
Yup, no error in the console on Firefox. Same with Chromium.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-05, 12:26

The unresponsive script info is in the dialog. Stop looking at the console, it's obviously not helping. The dialog that pops up itself will have the script information.

The warning in the console is of no consequence. It's a very common occurrence on websites, and is a recommendation to prevent unnecessarily slow scripts.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-07-05, 13:38

Got it. So, how do I prevent Pale Moon from stopping the website from loading?

Moonchild - If you'd like to see what's happening, I'd be happy to create an account for you as a live-chat operator and PM you the details. The issue occurs immediately after login.

retyr

Unread post by retyr » 2017-07-21, 10:47

I have the same problem on facebook. It seems it occurs, when I scroll while the page is still loading or loading more posts.

spacy01

Unread post by spacy01 » 2017-07-21, 14:32

Hi,

from few day ago i'm facing with very similar problem: Messages from unresponsive script and hanging out... I also notice that the swap is filling very fast (Xubuntu 16.04.2 x64). Faster than usual in any case... I tried to disable swap and the things getting better. Not perfect, but much better. The messages disappear, sometimes still have hanging, but no so often.

So, it doesn't hurt if you try. The command to turn off the swap is

Code: Select all

sudo swapoff -a &
After that, you can turn on your swap with

Code: Select all

sudo swapon -a &
No restart needed. Hope this will help on @Moonchild or someone else to figured it out!