.ogv Crash Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

.ogv Crash

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2017-06-24, 18:43

Hello,

Not sure if this is exactly the correct place for this, and if it isn't please feel free to move it.
When a webpage contains a video in the .ogv (a member of the OGG family) format, Pale Moon crashes. I discovered this when someone embedded this in a forum post on a forum I frequent. Upon investigation (in Firefox), the video is the culprit. A direct link to the video is here: https://www.quirksmode.org/html5/videos ... _bunny.ogv

I haven't yet had a chance to test this on Windows, so I suppose being Linux, it could be a missing codec problem. Even so, I would expect some sort of error to appear, and not the entire web browser to crash.

ETA: This indeed does not happen on Windows 10; the video plays fine there.

lightning slinger

Re: .ogv Crash

Unread post by lightning slinger » 2017-06-24, 19:06

No problem with your link in Xubuntu 16.04! Video plays just fine!

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2017-06-24, 19:50

Most interesting... That further complicates things. For the record, I am using Solus OS. I'll do some more poking around...

Are there any sort of crash logs that might be of any use for tracking this down?

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-06-24, 20:39

Video (Big Buck Bunny) plays without any problems for me. I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.3.0 running in 64 bit Linux Mint 18.1 (Serena).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-06-24, 20:43

It doesn't crash for me either. I'm on Linux Mint 18.2. Are you running the latest version of Pale Moon? Is your OS up to date?

See if you get the crash in safe mode.

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2017-06-24, 21:25

Huh. After restarting in safe mode, the video plays just fine, and no crash happens.

For reference, Pale Moon is version 27.3.0 on my system (64 bit), and there are no OS or package updates available for install.

ETA: Once my new Linux Mint 18.1 VM is ready I'll install my addon's one by one to see if that's doing this.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-24, 23:15

Safe mode does more than just disable add-ons, so this may also be a video driver issue.
Off-topic:
ETA? I guess you mean EDIT?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2017-06-24, 23:30

Moonchild wrote:Safe mode does more than just disable add-ons, so this may also be a video driver issue.
Noted. Going through add-ons is still a good starting point though, right?
Moonchild wrote:
Off-topic:
ETA? I guess you mean EDIT?
Off-topic:
Sorry, it's something I picked up from another forum. Stands for "Edited To Add."

EbonJaeger
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by EbonJaeger » 2017-06-24, 23:40

It would appear that it's the theme I'm using that's somehow doing this (I was using the BlackFox V2 (2.5.1) theme). First thing I did was switch to the default theme, restart PM, and the video plays as normal. As for how a theme could cause the browser to crash when a certain video format is in the page, I am not quite sure.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-26, 14:17

Semi-educated guess, no having looked at the theme myself:
If an incompatible theme changes the browser XUL and causes an invalid layering of drawing surfaces for accelerated video, it can cause a crash.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite