Palemoon identifying as "Mobile" on my Shop site?

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
jpirie

Palemoon identifying as "Mobile" on my Shop site?

Unread post by jpirie » 2017-04-30, 08:55

Hi everyone,
Not sure if this is Palemoon's fault or my website but Palemoon is seen as a Mobile browser at this link (No marketing intended!)

https://www.shake-the-tree.com

All other browsers I have tried identify as Desktop, i.e. the little Mobile menu item does not appear at the top left and the sidebars of links appear instead.

I have tried:
Opera
Firefox
Chrome
Chromium
Konqueror
Blackberry 10 (Desktop mode)

All of which work as expected, i.e. the web page identifies the type of browser and serves the correct version.

I have tried all the ID settings in Palemoon, i.e. Native, Gecko, Firefox but all the same.
Might be something to do with my System I guess but it's worth asking :)

I am using Kubuntu 17.04 Zesty with Palemoon Version: 27.3.0 (64-bit) and look forward to hearing from someone who uses the Linux version also.

Note...I have yet t try the Windows version with this and will endeavour to do so soon.

Thanks for the great work on this Browser and any help you may have to offer.

James

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Palemoon identifying as "Mobile" on my Shop site?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-30, 09:02

Mis-identification as Mobile is usually caused by the user agent having "Goanna" in it, and some (older versions of) mobile detection libraries having a too-broad check for the Wiko Goa phone. This is something that you need to look at in your shop site's software and/or contact the authors of it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-30, 23:35

jpirie wrote: I am using Kubuntu 17.04 Zesty with Palemoon Version: 27.3.0 (64-bit) and look forward to hearing from someone who uses the Linux version also.
Hello, James. I am using Ubuntu 14.04, Pale Moon 27.2.1 (64-bit). I have the same issue. Thank you for posting this, because I did not realize that these items you mention indicate that the site detects PM as mobile software. So now I have to wonder how many other sites have likewise done this when I have visited them. :think: It might also explain why some sites don't behave as expected.
-g.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

jpirie

Unread post by jpirie » 2017-05-09, 08:41

Moonchild wrote:Mis-identification as Mobile is usually caused by the user agent having "Goanna" in it, and some (older versions of) mobile detection libraries having a too-broad check for the Wiko Goa phone. This is something that you need to look at in your shop site's software and/or contact the authors of it.
Ahaa, but this does not explain why "Only" palemoon is detected thus!?
As it happens I set up and maintain the shop myself using Zencart and I'm pretty sure this is well maintained and up to date. So, I'm still puzzled given the above.

James

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-09, 09:00

jpirie wrote:Ahaa, but this does not explain why "Only" palemoon is detected thus!?
Only Pale Moon has "Goanna/xx.xx" in the user agent string because of those tested only Pale Moon uses the Goanna rendering engine.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite