Palemoon turns into memory devouring monster after some usage

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
jooch

Palemoon turns into memory devouring monster after some usage

Unread post by jooch » 2017-03-08, 16:34

So lately i'm having regular system problems because Palemoon starts to eat a lot of system memory.
Palemoon starts with a decent 520MB's and after just one hour of surfing devours 1400+ :crazy:
I have a moderate amount of RAM (2GB's) so you can probably imagine what happens ;)

Even got the idea that maybe my memory had gone bad, so i tested for one day with memtest, but no problems found. Then i tried Firefox again, same plugins, same webpages. Starts at 530MB's and then grows to 725, neat.

Any idea's?

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Palemoon turns into memory devouring monster after some usage

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-08, 16:43

Distro.. Source of build.. version.. Normal stuff please.

jooch

Unread post by jooch » 2017-03-08, 17:00

Palemoon 27.1.1 x64 from the Manjaro repositories.
Running Manjaro 64 with Nouveau drivers and CK kernel v4.10.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-03-08, 18:01

Weird, right now I'm on a computer running vista (my other two computers are busy with other things) and memory usage doesn't get all that high, even with it running for a while with multiple tabs open.

jooch

Unread post by jooch » 2017-03-08, 18:09

After creating a clean profile, PM uses 210MB's at start. One tab open, no plugins.

themew

Unread post by themew » 2017-03-08, 19:48

jooch wrote:Palemoon 27.1.1 x64 from the Manjaro repositories.
Running Manjaro 64 with Nouveau drivers and CK kernel v4.10.
I'm running the same distro and version of Pale Moon, but with the Nvidia 340.101 drivers and not seeing this. In fact, I haven't shut down PM in over 24 hours with several active tabs and CPU and memory are at a minimum.

Could it be a plug-in causing the memory issue?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-08, 20:16

Or a script running a muck.

jooch

Unread post by jooch » 2017-03-08, 20:42

Made some progress, i copied my old profile and then closed all the other tabs. This made a difference.

Apparently leaving 400 tabs open hurts performance :twisted: I thought tabs were only loaded as soon as you select them... Is it the history that is kept open that is causing trouble?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-08, 21:26

jooch wrote:Made some progress, i copied my old profile and then closed all the other tabs. This made a difference.

Apparently leaving 400 tabs open hurts performance :twisted: I thought tabs were only loaded as soon as you select them... Is it the history that is kept open that is causing trouble?
Each tab requires administration. While the actual page content may remain "pending" until you click it, every tab that is opened will have its own history and meta information, and if actively used, will also keep pre-rendered copies of pages in memory. Using 400 tabs can therefore be expected to use a significant amount of memory.
If you want to retain page locations for a large number of site, I suggest you use bookmarks for sites you're not likely to visit (again) this session. The library can easily hold thousands of locations without breaking a sweat, but having all those documents open will, of course, use a lot of RAM.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

jooch

Unread post by jooch » 2017-03-08, 21:43

Moonchild wrote: Each tab requires administration. While the actual page content may remain "pending" until you click it, every tab that is opened will have its own history and meta information, and if actively used, will also keep pre-rendered copies of pages in memory. Using 400 tabs can therefore be expected to use a significant amount of memory.
As i thought then, thanks for clarifying.
Moonchild wrote: If you want to retain page locations for a large number of site, I suggest you use bookmarks for sites you're not likely to visit (again) this session. The library can easily hold thousands of locations without breaking a sweat, but having all those documents open will, of course, use a lot of RAM.
This is the real problem. While a bookmark saves the current location it does not remember the history from that tab. Sure i can look in the history, but this is just a pile of rubbish if you can't see the tab it occurred in. There are lots of occasions where i am not so much interested in the current page but more the path i took to reach that certain page. So would like a function to save an entire tab including its history, which would be a mini session saver actually.
Perhaps anybody know of an add-on that can do this?

jooch

Unread post by jooch » 2017-03-09, 15:48

I found a few add-ons that can do what i want, but these are all incompatible with Palemoon.
If anyone knows one for Palemoon, that would be great.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2017-03-09, 17:42

Which ones exactly do you mean?

jooch

Unread post by jooch » 2017-03-13, 15:39

I am now using Session Manager
However i would be more interested in TabSaver