Pale Moon 27.1.2 freezes without fail whenever I change my screen brightness with the physical buttons on my laptop.

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
hobbledehoy899

Pale Moon 27.1.2 freezes without fail whenever I change my screen brightness with the physical buttons on my laptop.

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-03-08, 07:52

I have no explanation as to why it does this, all Pale Moon tells me is the generic "There was a problem with your session. Pale Moon is having trouble recovering your windows and tabs. This is usually caused by a recently opened web page." message even though changing the screen's brightness has nothing to do with opening a new tab.

The distro I use is Antergos.

hobbledehoy899

Re: Pale Moon 27.1.2 freezes without fail whenever I change my screen brightness with the physical buttons on my laptop.

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-03-08, 22:11

Is this considered to be not a big deal..?

hobbledehoy899

Re: Pale Moon 27.1.2 freezes without fail whenever I change my screen brightness with the physical buttons on my laptop.

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-03-09, 05:02

Weird, this doesn't happen on Linux Mint... (I prefer to use Antergos, so...)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-09, 08:09

hobbledehoy899 wrote:Is this considered to be not a big deal..?
A little impatient, are we? ;)
hobbledehoy899 wrote:Weird, this doesn't happen on Linux Mint...
You're likely looking at some graphics subsystem problem in the O.S. that does something weird - potentially yanking out accelerated drawing from under us.
I suggest you try disabling hardware acceleration on the affected O.S. first thing.

As for the restore message, that's just a message to cover the most likely cases of an unexpected and unclean shutdown of the browser. Don't expect it to specifically be catered to whatever closed the browser down. Note the term "usually" and the generic nature of the message.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-03-09, 13:04

Moonchild wrote:[You're likely looking at some graphics subsystem problem in the O.S. that does something weird - potentially yanking out accelerated drawing from under us.
I suggest you try disabling hardware acceleration on the affected O.S. first thing.
When I reinstall Antergos with the Xfce desktop later today I'll first see if it still does this and if it does I'll try this.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-03-09, 19:21

On Antergos with the Fxce desktop the freeze doen't happen.

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-03-11, 05:17

The same exact thing happens with Pale Moon for Manjaro (although that's listed as 27.1.1)...

Andrew Gilbertson

Unread post by Andrew Gilbertson » 2017-03-11, 14:14

Okay...so it's likely down to something that your DE is doing. So... were you using the same DE in your original Antergos install (not the XFCE one) and the Manjaro install?

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-03-11, 22:58

Andrew Gilbertson wrote:Okay...so it's likely down to something that your DE is doing. So... were you using the same DE in your original Antergos install (not the XFCE one) and the Manjaro install?
Yes, I was using Cinnamon for both the first Antergos install and my only Manjaro install. The weird thing is that I'm also using Cinnamon right now as I'm typing this on Linux Mint 18.1 and there's no problem with changing the brightness levels...

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2017-03-12, 01:52

That message usually means you force-closed Pale Moon... Did you have to kill the Pale Moon process due to a freeze?

hobbledehoy899

Unread post by hobbledehoy899 » 2017-03-12, 07:03

RJARRRPCGP wrote:That message usually means you force-closed Pale Moon... Did you have to kill the Pale Moon process due to a freeze?
I did, Pale Moon never unfroze from this without force.