Opening wetransfer link blows up memory usage

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
rtega

Opening wetransfer link blows up memory usage

Unread post by rtega » 2017-02-17, 08:22

When I open up a wetransfer link in PM 27.1 memory usage goes up from 0.5 GB to 4GB in a matter of seconds. After this I finished off palemoon in order not no run my system into the ground. An example link: hxxps://www.wetransfer.com/downloads/f3877bc474e4f9cdc3be314050a896fc20170122094821/f4649692e0cd80b39ff5bd06f3426bc020170122094821/ac6620

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: Opening wetransfer link blows up memory usage

Unread post by satrow » 2017-02-17, 11:21

Confirmed, W7.

Link broken deliberately to prevent grief :) (File has been deleted anyway, no longer available).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-17, 21:10

So, how are we supposed to move forward with this? :problem:
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

kovacslt

Unread post by kovacslt » 2017-02-18, 19:30

Hi,

Just out of couriosity I gave it a try on Linux mint.
Mem usage (RSS) went up to 4GB, then a message appeared about a script not responding.
I let stop that script, closed the page and everything is fine and smooth...
:)

rtega

Unread post by rtega » 2017-02-19, 21:22

Try the link and see what causes this behaviour. It doesn't matter that the link does not provide any files any more. The behaviour is still there and seems quite suspicious to me. I don't see this with Chrome so it could point to a bug in palemoon.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2017-02-19, 22:53

I clicked the link out of devilment and the memory shot up to 4gb in a matter of seconds.Dont know what causes it but i have never experienced it before.....had to kill palemoon with my task manager,it wasnt just the browser which locked up either.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

rtega

Unread post by rtega » 2017-02-21, 14:06

Problem is still there in PM 27.1.1. Seems that some script is running wild. The tab seems to consumes about 4GB of memory. After stopping the script and closing the tab, the memory is nicely released. It complains about the script at https://cdn.wetransfer.net/ass…a8b9a6ca ... 63bb.js:11 being no longer responsive.

rtega

Unread post by rtega » 2017-03-03, 23:46

Bug is still there in PM 27.1.2. Could anybody have a look at this?

rtega

Unread post by rtega » 2017-03-20, 14:31

The bug is still there in PM 27.2.0. Is any of the devs willing to look into this one?

rtega

Unread post by rtega » 2017-03-24, 22:52

Still there in 27.2.1...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-25, 18:17

So the problem is that a script is running wild.. Exactly what are you expecting anyone to do about it?

Gandalfdjh
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Gandalfdjh » 2017-03-25, 19:16

rtega wrote:The bug is still there in PM 27.2.0. Is any of the devs willing to look into this one?
Do not have much knowledge in this area, but one would assume that script is authored by someone beside PM dev. Thus the issue will have to be fixed by the author/maintainer of the script.

Just my two cents on the matter. :? :|
Image1911 remains the service pistol for all ages!
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." — Theodore Roosevelt

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-26, 21:21

It'll be a script on the wetransfer site running wild -- something we have no control over if it has a bug (e.g. recursion problem).
Reporting the exact error message about which script has stopped responding would help -- knowing wetransfer though, they will probably not be receptive to bug reports for their scripts if you're not using one of their browsers of choice.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite