Issue scrolling with keyboard

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Issue scrolling with keyboard

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-24, 11:31

I generally scroll pages using up/down arrow keys as I find it very convenient. But lately I've found an annoyance. After doing a "inspect element" and closing the DevTools window, scrolling using the arrow keys do not work. It feels as if the focus has been shifted away from the page. To make the scrolling work, I've to click somewhere inside the page.

Using 27.4.2 version 32-bit

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Issue scrolling with keyboard

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-24, 15:16

Since you're talking about the devtools window, I'm assuming you have detached it -- if so, then that is just the way it works; a detached devtools window isn't linked to any active tab (you can activate another tab with the devtools window open), and therefore should not change the focus in browsing windows when closed (it may shift focus away from what the user has activated after opening the devtools).

If you want to be able to return focus to the page directly, make sure to keep the devtools docked.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-24, 15:44

Oh, I shouldn't have used the word window. My bad.
DevTools are not detached but indeed docked at the bottom of the main browser window (just like default setup).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-08-24, 15:47

I've tested both with closing the tools with F12 and closing it by clicking the X, and focus is shifted back to the content window properly, so I can't reproduce this (on Windows at least)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-24, 16:58

I had already confirmed this with closing tools with F12 and clicking "x" just as you did, but to rule out any customizations I tried safe mode and vanilla profile. Issue confirmed in both the cases. Setup: Running Arch with XFCE.
Hopefully someone from the community will check if this is an issue on Linux or it's just me!

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-30, 08:55

I get the same behaviour on latest Firefox 55 too. I understand that Firefox's front-end is quite different from Pale Moon's, but maybe this is a commonality!
I doubt if it's an issue with the OS and software like window manager and such.

Can someone please check to see if he or she gets the same issue on a Linux system?

Avari

Unread post by Avari » 2017-08-30, 12:10

Arch Linux here

i opened and closed devtools, but page up/down and cursor scrolls work fine, not losing any focus. Tried it with i3wm and XFCE - no problems.

But i am using 27.4.2 version 64-bit (maybe a prob with 32 bit Linux Version ?)

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-08-31, 15:48

Looks like it's just me, I'll live with the annoyance then. Nothing major.

adesh
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by adesh » 2017-09-22, 07:13

Minor update:
Issue does not occur for the Console tab in devtools. If the tab is preselected or if I select it after opening devtools, focus returns properly to the page after the closing of devtools.

Lunokhod
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Lunokhod » 2017-09-23, 21:24

Void Linux XFCE 32 bit, but not updated since last week or so as there is some freetype font issue going on from the look of things, and the latest PM from tarball on this site. When I first tried this my element inspector wasn't docked, then I docked it. The arrow keys worked when the window was closed. But then after trying a few times they stopped doing that, and now I can only scroll with the touchpad edge until I click in the window again to return focus, then the arrow keys work again.

And while I'm writing, adblock latitude blocks the classified ads here, you can't see the search results without disabling it:
http://classifieds.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/
Well I guess they are ads :o
I have also seen some blank listings on eBay in the past. (Business sellers probably using some auto lister to create huge listings that take ages to load.) If I find some again then I might try disabling adblock on them too to see if it shows the content.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been...