PM 27 for Linux doesn't run on Ubuntu Precise, Debian Wheezy.

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
cowlitzron

PM 27 for Linux doesn't run on Ubuntu Precise, Debian Wheezy.

Unread post by cowlitzron » 2016-11-15, 19:33

Pale Moon 27 for Linux doesn't run on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise and Debian 7 Wheezy due to the requirement that glibc has to be 2.17 or newer. The distribution versions mentioned use older versions of glibc. Other supported major distro versions which don't run PM 27 include Linux Mint 13 maya, RHEL/CentOS 5.x and 6.x, and Slackware 13.0, 13.1, 13.37, and 14.0. All the distro versions listed except for RHEL/CentOS 5.x, and Slackware 13.0, and 13.1 will run Pale Moon 26.5.x . Users who are running the listed distro versions which run PM 26.5.x will need to either stay with that version or ubgrade the operating system to a newer version which will run PM 27. The drop of support for some older versions of distros is okay with me since I use Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial as my main distro base. I do have Ubuntu 12.04 Precise on a USB hard drive for testing purposes.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM 27 for Linux doesn't run on Ubuntu Precise, Debian Wheezy.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-15, 20:02

Thanks for the listing. Unfortunately we can't support all distributions and especially old versions with our generic binaries -- it would require significant compromise to do so.
You may, however, be able to build from source to target these older OS versions.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Aube Bleue

Unread post by Aube Bleue » 2016-11-16, 01:05

cowlitzron wrote:Pale Moon 27 for Linux doesn't run on Ubuntu 12.04 Precise and Debian 7 Wheezy due to the requirement that glibc has to be 2.17 or newer.
Incorrect: ALL alpha/beta 32-bit binaries produced by Travis have been running smoothly on my old 32-bit Toshiba laptop. Maybe that'll change once Tycho becomes official… Anyway, I'll definitely ubgrade upgrade ;-p this laptop in the coming months. The OS installed on it is Bodhi Linux 2 -- which is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise) -- and has glibc version 2.15.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2016-11-16, 06:33

Aube Bleue wrote:Incorrect: ALL alpha/beta 32-bit binaries produced by Travis have been running smoothly on my old 32-bit Toshiba laptop. Maybe that'll change once Tycho becomes official… Anyway, I'll definitely ubgrade upgrade ;-p this laptop in the coming months. The OS installed on it is Bodhi Linux 2 -- which is based on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (Precise) -- and has glibc version 2.15.
Correct, 32 bit builds of v27 will still work on older distros for now (this will change in the future).

Also, for the record most of the distros mentioned in this thread are nearing EOL anyway. In general, our generic binaries are not going to target older, no longer supported distros. But as Moonchild stated, there should be nothing stopping you from compiling Pale Moon yourself on these distros if you need to.