Bug in updating add-ons (v27b3) Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Bug in updating add-ons (v27b3)

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-11-01, 01:30

Hello,
I purposely set my extensions to update manually. That way, I update when I have time and a reliable connection. Yet, tonight again, I see that Pale Moon (27b3) has somehow scanned my list and tells me that 3 extensions need updating. Worst, one of them is "Flash Video Downloader" (v. 8.4.0), which I had set specifically "do not update" because more recent versions of that extension don't work. On top of that, I have set the general extension menu to "Reset all add-ons to update manually".

Bug. Why do updates are checked and updated automatically even though I have the general preference AND the specific preference of that extension both set to update manually?

Suggestion. Would it be possible to make the menu a bit more user-friendly? I would suggest the following menu, with a check mark added to the option selected:
– Update add-ons automatically by default
– Update add-ons manually by default
(i.e. the default setting would apply to all extensions where a specific setting wasn't set).
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Bug in updating add-ons (v27b3)

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-01, 03:34

Not sure it is a bug.. But Patches Welcome.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-01, 11:07

Checking for updates is always done with those settings, that is normal -- they are just not updated automatically. That isn't a bug.

You should be able to stop these checks by making sure the global update check is off, but the actual setting on all add-ons is set to automatic (otherwise the manual update add-on will trigger a check):
  1. Open the Add-ons Manager.
  2. In the Add-ons Manager tab, select the Extensions panel.
  3. At the top of the tab, click the gear Icon menu, uncheck Update Add-ons Automatically and then select Reset All Add-ons to Update Automatically.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-11-01, 13:14

Thanks for the explanation. I think the way the global "Automatic" setting works is a bit counter-intuitive, but I can live with that.
I have set updates to Automatic and the local setting for Flash Video Downloader to OFF, and I will see what happens

However, in the case of "Flash Video Downloader" (v. 8.4.0) that I was speaking of in the first message, the updates happened with the following settings:
– Global setting: NOT automatic
– Reset all add-ons to update manually had been checked 1-2 days before
– Setting for the extension was "Updates = OFF"
and I did NOT ask for updates. In other words, in spite of my setting "update manually" and without me asking for anything (I did not click on "check for updates"), Pale Moon decided to check for updates and discovered that 3 of my extensions needed to be updated, including the one that must not be updated.

It is the automatic checking without asking and when the settings are for manual updates only that I consider a bug. (I find it as insulting and as problematic as the bug Firefox shows when checking "about Firefox"... and it decides that it should download and install the update right away.)
Michel Gagnon

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-11-01, 19:42

Please go back and read my previous post.
If you set extensions individually to not update, they will trigger a check to inform you of updates being available.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-11-02, 01:45

So how do I make sure that Pale Moon will never check that an update is available for the extension "Flash Video Downloader"?

I don't want it to update and I don't want Pale Moon to check for updates because newer versions don't work with Pale Moon. I know I can remember NOT to click on "Update", but I don't want Pale Moon to tell me that an update is available so I won't make the mistake of updating it.
Michel Gagnon

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-02, 04:49

Sure fire way? Edit the extension.. Change the add-on ID. That way it won't match anything in either our database or AMO's. Beyond that the Add-ons Manager is coded to expect updates.

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-11-04, 03:50

Thanks for the tip, Matt. It's not a very elegant solution, but it is one that I can live with very easily.
Michel Gagnon

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2016-11-04, 17:47

Questions:
Would the two preferences listed below come close to accomplishing what OP asked for, if set to False in about:config ?
(Not with the finality of changing the add-on ID, but close: i.e., turn off automatic checking and notification)

And what is the difference between what the two prefs do?

extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault

extensions.update.enabled