Add-Ons Testing Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Re: Add-Ons Testing

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-14, 19:56

Shadeclan wrote:I think he's saying that he can't live without the multi-tab-row capabilities of TabMixPlus
Right you are.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-11-14, 21:33

Shadeclan wrote: I think he's saying that he can't live without the multi-tab-row capabilities of TabMixPlus, since Tobin asserted that:
Matt A Tobin wrote:There is very little reason to keep TMP around in this era.. About the only think it does that is unique these days is the protect and lock tabs functionality.. Beyond other tweaks and bits and bobs of course.
If you meant that you can't find TabMixPlus, it's here. You can either force the installation of the newest version or go through the old versions and find version 0.4.1.8 which, I believe, is the latest version that will recognize PaleMoon as a valid target browser.
Thanks for the clarification. I downloaded TabMixPlus 0.4.1.8 and installed it on a portable version of Pale Moon 26. I just started reading the instructions I found on their website, to see what the options and capabilities are.

Harry

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-15, 14:15

1210_bex wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I downloaded TabMixPlus 0.4.1.8 and installed it on a portable version of Pale Moon 26. I just started reading the instructions I found on their website, to see what the options and capabilities are.

Harry
Glad that helped. Please post what you find - I'm sure you'll test it a lot more extensively than I have. And, in spite of Tobin's assertions, TMP still has a lot to offer PaleMoon users IMHO.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-11-16, 14:41

Shadeclan wrote:....Tab Mix Plus still has a lot to offer PaleMoon users IMHO.
I feel this way too.

Hello.

My name is Dave, and I'm a Tab-oholic.

TMP is one of a few extensions which I simply could not do without, and when I examine other browsers from time to time, if there is not a way to mimic the subset of TMP's functions which make MY browsing life civilized, then said browser gets disqualified from further consideration (there are be other potential reasons for disqualification too).

Mainly, the functions which 'make MY day' and are crucial for the maintenance of my sanity, are having control over where new tabs open when triggered from various sources and methods, and where the focus goes, both at that point and after I close a tab.

SeaMonkey squeaked thru as an alternate, because I did manage to find a total of 5 smaller extensions which together do for me what TMP alone does in Pale Moon (or used to do in FireFox, before other reasons drove me away from FF).

IMNSHO, many of the behavioural choices of TMP really should be built-into browsers.

Strangely enough, some of them WERE, in the past.

In fairness to Pale Moon, there is a greater degree of configurability of tab behaviour built-in than there is with FireFox, but TMP still takes it further.

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-16, 18:31

Davesnothere wrote:TMP is one of a few extensions which I simply could not do without, and when I examine other browsers from time to time, if there is not a way to mimic the subset of TMP's functions which make MY browsing life civilized, then said browser gets disqualified from further consideration (there are be other potential reasons for disqualification too).
I feel this way about many of my add-ons also.
Davesnothere wrote:SeaMonkey squeaked thru as an alternate, because I did manage to find a total of 5 smaller extensions which together do for me what TMP alone does in Pale Moon (or used to do in FireFox, before other reasons drove me away from FF).
Yeah, it would take a lot of other add-ons to duplicate TMP functionality.
Davesnothere wrote:IMNSHO, many of the behavioural choices of TMP really should be built-into browsers.
Here we need to part ways. Which is more efficient:
  • a. Taking what few PaleMoon developers there are away from working on the browser engine and basic interface to add bells and whistles that some people may or may not use or ...

b. Maintaining an interface where other developers who want those features can add them to the basic interface?
MoonChild and Company have wisely decided to devote their energies to making the best browser they can. I think they're correct.
Davesnothere wrote:In fairness to Pale Moon, there is a greater degree of configurability of tab behaviour built-in than there is with FireFox, but TMP still takes it further.
Certainly, since Firefox is moving away from user customizability, PaleMoon would have more configuration options.

My opinion so far as TMP is concerned is this: the developer has shown some interest in adopting his/her code to work in PaleMoon. In a very short time, PaleMoon will be the only game in town for XUL add-ons. I'll bet the developer will continue support of PaleMoon, especially since PaleMoon's update schedule won't be as heavy a load or as discouraging as supporting a dead project like Firefox.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-11-17, 18:07

Shadeclan wrote: ....My opinion so far as TMP is concerned is this: the developer has shown some interest in adopting his/her code to work in PaleMoon. In a very short time, Pale Moon will be the only game in town for XUL add-ons. I'll bet the developer will continue support of PaleMoon, especially since PaleMoon's update schedule won't be as heavy a load or as discouraging as supporting a dead project like Firefox.
That all makes good sense to ME, especially since TMP already has included the unique GUID for Pale Moon in their install.rdf file for some time now, and AFAIK were among the first add-on devs to do so.

I'm curious though, as to what SeaMonkey devs will do when Moz abandons XUL extensions.

Will they follow (I'm not sure that they are obligated to follow), or will they do something similar to what Pale Moon has done, taking whatever general architecture that they want from the bulk of the Moz code as of a certain version, and later on only selecting minimal portions of any new code to support security patches (etc) where applicable ?

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-17, 18:31

Davesnothere wrote:I'm curious though, as to what SeaMonkey devs will do when Moz abandons XUL extensions.

Will they follow (I'm not sure that they are obligated to follow), or will they do something similar to what Pale Moon has done, taking whatever general architecture that they want from the bulk of the Moz code as of a certain version, and later on only selecting minimal portions of any new code to support security patches (etc) where applicable ?
According to the SeaMonkey Project:
Under the hood, SeaMonkey uses much of the same Mozilla source code which powers such successful siblings as Firefox and Thunderbird. Legal backing is provided by the Mozilla Foundation.
If I had to guess, I'd say that; since they're basically Firefox underneath the hood and the Mozilla foundation is their legal guardian; they will probably follow the lead of Firefox.
PaleMoon has no such strings to deal with and MoonChild and Company has made some very significant forks with the new Goanna engine. If what MoonChild has said is correct, SeaMonkey would eventually need to make some very significant changes to its base code in order to even accept add-ons. If not, their development team would have to stop accepting Mozilla code updates which, as you speculate, may not be possible for them.
Doing so would mean a great deal of effort on their part. It's one thing to repackage somebody else's base code but quite another thing to have to maintain that base code.

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-11-19, 05:13

Shadeclan wrote:
1210_bex wrote:Thanks for the clarification. I downloaded TabMixPlus 0.4.1.8 and installed it on a portable version of Pale Moon 26. I just started reading the instructions I found on their website, to see what the options and capabilities are.

Harry
Glad that helped. Please post what you find - I'm sure you'll test it a lot more extensively than I have. And, in spite of Tobin's assertions, TMP still has a lot to offer PaleMoon users IMHO.
Have done lots of testing with various versions of TabMixPlus. A couple of general points 1st:
1. If you haven't been to their Table of Contents (http://tabmixplus.org/support/viewpage. ... troduction), do so. A lot of great info there.
2. And for the terminology that I did not understand, I found that others had asked the questions (and had them answered) on their forum. A great resource.

I now have installed PM portable (x64) in 3 versions: 26.1.1, 27.0.0b1 & 27.0.0b3 (the latest).

On 26.1.1, I installed TabMixPlus 0.4.1.8, which is the latest version Firefox Add-ons says will work. As far as I can tell, everything in TabMixPlus runs as it should.

On both 27.0.0.b1 and 27.0.0.b3, I installed TabMixPlus 0.5.0.1. Also I installed all of the Add-ins that I use in my desktop [Windows 7 64 bit] Pale Moon 26.5.0 (x86). Only the 3 SDK extensions mentioned early in this thread do not work for me in PM 27.

On PM 27.0.0.b1, I ran into the Preferences not working, as you mentioned earlier. Clicking on any tab fixed that problem. And after I did it once, I never had the Preference problem again. I also had the Sessions problem that Michel Gagnon created a work around for in another thread. I followed his instructions. but could never get it to work.

For PM 27.0.0.b3, I imported the TabMixPlus preferences I use in PM 27.0.0.b1. None of the Preference or Session problems are there. These features work just fine.

One small problem I have found in both 27 versions. The about:logopage (the moon with Pale Moon text below it) would never appear, no matter how I set the 'Load on New Tab' feature. I would always get a blank blue page. Here is what I had to do to fix it. [Without TabMixPlus, I never had to do #3 or #4.]
1. On the TabMixPlus Events tab, set 'Load on New Tab' to 'Home Page'.
2. On the TabMixPlus Tab Closing tab, set 'When I close the last tab replace it with:' to 'Home Page'.
3. On the Pale Moon Options, General tab, set 'When Pale Moon starts:' to 'Show my home page', and set 'Home Page:' to 'about:logopage'.
4. On the Pale Moon Options, Tabs tab, set 'When opening a new tab, show:' to 'The Pale Moon start page'.

Now for both new blank tabs, and when the last tab is closed, the about:logopage will always appear.

Harry

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-11-19, 10:34

1210_bex wrote: Have done lots of testing with various versions of TabMixPlus. A couple of general points 1st:

1. If you haven't been to their Table of Contents (http://tabmixplus.org/support/viewpage. ... troduction), do so. A lot of great info there.

2. And for the terminology that I did not understand, I found that others had asked the questions (and had them answered) on their forum. A great resource.

I now have installed PM portable (x64) in 3 versions: 26.1.1, 27.0.0b1 & 27.0.0b3 (the latest)....
Thanks for the detailed report.

Rumour has it that 27 Final is 'just around the corner', in that PM has been also warning users again about XP not being compatible anymore with PM as of that version.

I will have to review my other extensions again with 27, but most were fine with these betas, and TMP seems usable, allaying the fears which some of us had earlier.

However, I have still got an XP unit which must stay in service, so on that one, PM 26.5.0 will be the max version.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2016-11-19, 14:06

Giraffe wrote:
Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1 - Working. If MoonChild would put in a little code to sort the toolbar buttons, that would be nice ...
I find that Toolbar Buttons in PM 26.5 shows most of the icons as a group of the same symbols: L, R, Home, Reload etc. Mouseover reveals the name of the icon but then it's matter of hunting down the one I want. Once on the toolbar, the icon is correct.
Somehow I found out about another add-on that arranged the buttons in T-B in pretty well the right order:
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... iondialog/

Might be worth a go.

BTW, in v27 the buttons all show correctly, so I don't know why they don't in v26.5.
Toolbar_Buttons_in_PM265.jpg
Hmmm, just installed v27B3 over v26.5 and Toolbar Buttons are now showing as mostly the same symbols again. Was OK in v27 Portable so at a guess it looks like something in v26.5 that didn't need to be updated.
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.