Add-Ons Testing Topic is solved

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Add-Ons Testing

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-09, 20:19

Got some time today, so I'm continuing on with my Add-On list: I use Tab Mix Plus but I haven't tested it extensively in Tycho. However, it's doing all the things it did before in PaleMoon stable. Also, other people have stated that it's working fine.

That's all my add-ons. Feel free to add more to the list!

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-11-11, 14:21

mgagnonlv wrote:Add to Search Bar. Version 2.0.1 works. But once in a while, it tends to update itself automatically to the most recent version, even though I checked "do not update".

Show Password Field. Doesn't work (JetPack). I use SHow my password (a little bit more finicky, but it works.

Video DownloadHelper. There are a couple of situations where it works and others don't. Version 4.9.24.1 works.

Extensions for which current versions work with Pale Moon 27:
Adblock Latitude (PM)
Colorzilla....
....Stylish
Tab Mix Plus
I was not aware that the Tab Mix Plus issue(s) is/are resolved.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12967

The issue which I personally had noticed, and had mentioned in that thread, was where you cannot get TMP to import/export its settings (normally done while in its options popup).

Is that now working ?

EDIT :

I have just done a fresh install of PM 27 b3 Portable 32-bit onto Vista Home Basic SP2 and added only Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.0 (still the current version) to it, and the problem persists, in that clicking the 'Preferences' Button in the TMP Options popup has no effect.

Also, clicking either the 'OK' or the 'Close' button in the TMP Options popup has no effect.

Plus, the Options box always begins with the 'Apply' button enabled when there is nothing yet to apply. - Clicking 'Apply' makes it grey out, but to what effect ?

LAST TIME that I checked (with PM 27 Alpha 2), earlier versions of TMP (such as 0.4.1.7 and 0.4.1.8) showed the same issues, though those TMP versions still work fine with PM 25.8.x.

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2016-11-11, 16:18

Davesnothere wrote:...
I have just done a fresh install of PM 27 b3 Portable 32-bit onto Vista Home Basic SP2 and added only Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.0 (still the current version) to it, and the problem persists, in that clicking the 'Preferences' Button in the TMP Options popup has no effect...
I don't know if there is an issue between 32 vs 64-bit versions of Pale Moon, or between Vista and Windows 10, or if other addons are beneficial to TMP, or even if it is related to the various options I have chosen in TMP, but this extension works correctly for me.

I use Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.1 (i.e. the current version) on Pale Moon 27 beta 3 64-bit portable, on two Windows 10 systems, and, at least with my settings, it works correctly. I am able to export and import preferences (thank you, I wasn't aware of this possibility), change settings and apply them. All of it works correctly. In fact, with my current settings, the only bug I observed is that with the TMP session-restore feature, the setting "when not restoring on start... show a blank page" shows about:logopage rather than about:blank.

P.S. I haven't used PM 26 for quite some time, but if I remember correctly, I also used TMP with it. I only remember problems with TMP around version 0.4.2 when it started to require Firefox 31 and above. Problem was solved with version 0.4.2.1 or 0.4.2.2. Now, the latest version install without a hinch either from the TMP website or from AMO after dismissing the warning and clicking on "Install anyways".
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-11-11, 19:49

mgagnonlv wrote:
Davesnothere wrote:...
I have just done a fresh install of PM 27 b3 Portable 32-bit onto Vista Home Basic SP2 and added only Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.0 (still the current version) to it, and the problem persists, in that clicking the 'Preferences' Button in the TMP Options popup has no effect...
I don't know if there is an issue between 32 vs 64-bit versions of Pale Moon, or between Vista and Windows 10, or if other addons are beneficial to TMP, or even if it is related to the various options I have chosen in TMP, but this extension works correctly for me.

I use Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.1 (i.e. the current version) on Pale Moon 27 beta 3 64-bit portable, on two Windows 10 systems, and, at least with my settings, it works correctly. I am able to export and import preferences (thank you, I wasn't aware of this possibility), change settings and apply them. All of it works correctly. In fact, with my current settings, the only bug I observed is that with the TMP session-restore feature, the setting "when not restoring on start... show a blank page" shows about:logopage rather than about:blank.

P.S. I haven't used PM 26 for quite some time, but if I remember correctly, I also used TMP with it. I only remember problems with TMP around version 0.4.2 when it started to require Firefox 31 and above. Problem was solved with version 0.4.2.1 or 0.4.2.2. Now, the latest version install without a hinch either from the TMP website or from AMO after dismissing the warning and clicking on "Install anyways".
Glad that you find the Prefs import/export of TMP to be useful. - I have, with all of the browsers I have tried out after FF went to the dreaded Australis UI.

For today's tests, I have no other extensions installed, though for my last test, I had most of my usual ones, with no difference to the results.

Hmmmm, I was unaware of a 0.5.0.1 of TMP - must try that still, in case it makes a difference.

I do not use TMP's session-restore (tried once, then went back to the one on the browser, and doing manual file backups), so cannot comment on how that feature currently works.

UPDATE :

Just now, I forced TMP 0.5.0.1 to go into today's new PM 27 B3, and it installed fine, but after the required restart, the problems which I have are still there.

Inconclusive result. :?

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-11-12, 02:34

Davesnothere wrote: UPDATE 1 :

Just now, I forced TMP 0.5.0.1 to go into today's new PM 27 B3, and it installed fine, but after the required restart, the problems which I have are still there....
UPDATE 2 : (Windows 7)

After the above, I repeated the test with another fresh install of PM 27 B3, 32-bit Portable, and no other extensions, this time on another computer with Windows 7 Starter Edition with SP1, 32-bit, and the same malfunctions are there too.

I tried it with the highest version of TMP recommended by the Add-ons Manager in the browser, which was 0.4.1.8, and later I tried it with a forced install of TMP 0.5.0.1.

In each case, the identical button misbehaviours happened as described in my earlier tests on Vista.

I also have PM 25.8.0 as my main browser on that same Win 7 computer, and TMP 0.4.1.8 behaves correctly there, as it always has.

CONCLUSION :

There is something different about PM 27 compared to earlier versions of PM, which causes the observed button malfunctions in multiple versions of Tab Mix Plus (current and others), and it happens both on Windows 7 and Vista, 32-bit versions.

I first noticed the problem with PM 27 Alpha 2, but it persists with the current Beta 3 .

Please would someone repeat my tests and see whether what I am experiencing can be duplicated.

Thanks.

Giraffe
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Giraffe » 2016-11-12, 08:11

Toolbar Buttons 1.1.1 - Working. If MoonChild would put in a little code to sort the toolbar buttons, that would be nice ...
I find that Toolbar Buttons in PM 26.5 shows most of the icons as a group of the same symbls: L, R, Home, Reload etc. Mouseover reveals the name of the icon but then it's matter of hunting down the one I want. Once on the toolbar, the icon is correct.
Somehow I found out about another add-on that arranged the buttons in T-B in pretty well the right order:
https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... iondialog/

Might be worth a go.

BTW, in v27 the buttons all show correctly, so I don't know why they don't in v26.5.
Toolbar_Buttons_in_PM265.jpg
Toolbar_Buttons_in_PM265.jpg (26.15 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. Comodo Internet security or Comodo Firewall + Avira Anivirus.

tpcsanh
Apollo supporter
Apollo supporter

Unread post by tpcsanh » 2016-11-12, 18:38

Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.1
Davesnothere wrote:Please would someone repeat my tests and see whether what I am experiencing can be duplicated.

Thanks.
I am not familiar with this add-on, but I downloaded 0.5.0.1.

Windows 7 64-bit
Pale Moon Portable 27 Beta 3 64-bit
One other add-on: Adblock Latitude 3.5.0b4

Options via the Menu or Extensions: I experienced the same thing as you: "in that clicking the 'Preferences' Button in the TMP Options popup has no effect. Also, clicking either the 'OK' or the 'Close' button in the TMP Options popup has no effect. Plus, the Options box always begins with the 'Apply' button enabled when there is nothing yet to apply. - Clicking 'Apply' makes it grey out, but to what effect ?"

When Options opens, the Links icon/button (at the top) is highlighted.

If I click on the Events icon/button, the Preferences button appears to function, the Apply button is greyed out, and the Close button works. As I said I am not familiar with this add-on, so I don't know if anything is working after this point.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-11-13, 11:50

tpcsanh wrote:Tab Mix Plus 0.5.0.1
Davesnothere wrote:Please would someone repeat my tests and see whether what I am experiencing can be duplicated.
I am not familiar with this add-on, but I downloaded 0.5.0.1.

Windows 7 64-bit
Pale Moon Portable 27 Beta 3 64-bit
One other add-on: Adblock Latitude 3.5.0b4

Options via the Menu or Extensions: I experienced the same thing as you....

....When Options opens, the Links icon/button (at the top) is highlighted.

If I click on the Events icon/button, the Preferences button appears to function, the Apply button is greyed out, and the Close button works.

As I said I am not familiar with this add-on, so I don't know if anything is working after this point.
Interesting discovery !

I never thought to try that, because the whole premise of trying to import your settings is to NOT have to adjust ANY other settings manually.

But you are quite right, and BTW, clicking on ANY of the tabs along the top of the TMP options box first seems to enable the errant lazy buttons at the bottom.

REVISED CONCLUSION :

We have a new anomaly with Pale Moon 27, both 32 and 64 bit versions, involving multiple versions of Tab Mix Plus.

However, there seems to be a workaround, as described above.
Last edited by Davesnothere on 2016-11-13, 12:17, edited 2 times in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-13, 11:58

As has been commented in the past.. TabMixPlus is a mess.. It has serious breaking issues in Pale Moon especially as we diverge from Firefox. That being said.. it has also had historically serious breaking issues with Firefox as well..

There is very little reason to keep TMP around in this era.. About the only think it does that is unique these days is the protect and lock tabs functionality.. Beyond other tweaks and bits and bobs of course.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-11-13, 12:13

Matt A Tobin wrote:As has been commented in the past.. TabMixPlus is a mess.. It has serious breaking issues in Pale Moon especially as we diverge from Firefox. That being said.. it has also had historically serious breaking issues with Firefox as well..

There is very little reason to keep TMP around in this era.. About the only think it does that is unique these days is the protect and lock tabs functionality.. Beyond other tweaks and bits and bobs of course.
Interesting that you would say that.

I have used TMP for a long time, and in your 'tweaks' category, it does several things for me which I find useful, or even crucial, especially regarding where and how new tabs open, and where the focus goes if I close a tab.

I could not do without those behaviours, now that I have them.

And up until now, I have not had problems using TMP - It either worked completely, or was completely incompatible, as is the case with SeaMonkey.

Since there turns out to only be minor workaround for this problem, I withdraw my request for y'all to look into it - that is unless of course youse WANT to.... ;)

BTW, with SeaMonkey, it took me a total of 5 other smaller extensions to mimic the things which I have Tab Mix Plus doing for me, and I had to search quite a bit to find them, and needed to modify some of those, mostly due to abandonment of version number updating in the install.rdf file.

One other side comment is that the author of TMP is one of the minority who has very early on included the proper GUID for Pale Moon in the install.rdf file, so he deserves some respect for at least doing THAT. :)
Last edited by Davesnothere on 2016-11-13, 12:17, edited 2 times in total.

JustOff
Banned user
Banned user

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-11-13, 12:14

Matt A Tobin wrote:There is very little reason to keep TMP around in this era.. About the only think it does that is unique these days is the protect and lock tabs functionality.. Beyond other tweaks and bits and bobs of course.
How about multirow tab bar? Can't live without it.

Davesnothere

Unread post by Davesnothere » 2016-11-13, 12:19

JustOff wrote: How about multirow tab bar? Can't live without it.
Hmmmm.... I must TRY that !

However, if it takes away from the vertical space for the web page content, it might be a short trial. ;)

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-14, 14:32

Davesnothere wrote: ... I was not aware that the Tab Mix Plus issue(s) is/are resolved.

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=12967
I don't generally use the export functionality in TabMixPlus but I thought I should check it out. Seems to work fine for me and I'm not seeing the issue with the "Apply" button either. I'm running Tycho 64 bit portable and PaleMoon stable 64 bit on a Win7 platform.
Matt A Tobin wrote:As has been commented in the past.. TabMixPlus is a mess.. It has serious breaking issues in Pale Moon especially as we diverge from Firefox. That being said.. it has also had historically serious breaking issues with Firefox as well..

I have heard this before. However, I have never had issues with TabMixPlus in any browser I've run it in from Firefox pre-Australis, then in PaleMoon right up through the current version of Tycho. Perhaps it's because I don't use some of the more exotic features? :coffee:

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-14, 14:55

Giraffe wrote:I find that Toolbar Buttons in PM 26.5 shows most of the icons as a group of the same symbls: L, R, Home, Reload etc. Mouseover reveals the name of the icon but then it's matter of hunting down the one I want. Once on the toolbar, the icon is correct.

...BTW, in v27 the buttons all show correctly, so I don't know why they don't in v26.5. ...
I'm not seeing that all the buttons display as a group of the same symbols but there are a few that do and they don't seem to have a function. Not too concerned with them though, since I'm getting the functionality I want from this add-on.

I'm running both PaleMoon Tycho and PaleMoon stable, both 64 bit and I ran the 32 bit version of PaleMoon not too long ago. Only have the few issues I've mentioned.
Giraffe wrote:... Somehow I found out about another add-on that arranged the buttons in T-B in pretty well the right order: https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/a ... iondialog/ ...
Hey, thanks for the tip! CodeFisher has, on his site, a way to download a subset of his buttons but I've never been able to get it to work properly. Anyway, I gotta get me that add-on! :thumbup:

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-11-14, 18:19

Shadeclan wrote:Hey, thanks for the tip! CodeFisher has, on his site, a way to download a subset of his buttons but I've never been able to get it to work properly. Anyway, I gotta get me that add-on! :thumbup:
I will admit that how to use the CodeFisher link you mentioned is not very clear. I found that checking ONLY 'create a menu of selected buttons' under settings was the most foolproof for me. If that does not work, select ONLY 'offer for download instead on installing;. And not all of the entries in the list of buttons on that page seem to function--at least that was true when I set mine up about a year ago.

If you have specific problems, I found that the author will respond.

Harry

1210_bex
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by 1210_bex » 2016-11-14, 18:21

JustOff wrote:How about multirow tab bar? Can't live without it.
What is the exact name of this extension? I could not find anything with that name when I searched the Firefox extensions.

Harry

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-14, 18:29

1210_bex wrote:... I will admit that how to use the CodeFisher link you mentioned is not very clear. I found that checking ONLY 'create a menu of selected buttons' under settings was the most foolproof for me. If that does not work, select ONLY 'offer for download instead on installing;. And not all of the entries in the list of buttons on that page seem to function--at least that was true when I set mine up about a year ago.

If you have specific problems, I found that the author will respond.
Harry
I just checked it out today on the off-chance that the author had made some behind-the-scene changes. Unlike other times, I was able to create and download an XPI file of a customized button assortment. Unfortunately, after installation, the buttons I chose did not appear when I brought up the "Customize" screen. I tried both with the original installation enabled and disabled.

I think I'll stick with your first suggestion - that sort and search add-on is really nice! :thumbup:

Shadeclan
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by Shadeclan » 2016-11-14, 18:36

1210_bex wrote:
JustOff wrote:How about multirow tab bar? Can't live without it.
What is the exact name of this extension? I could not find anything with that name when I searched the Firefox extensions.

Harry
I think he's saying that he can't live without the multi-tab-row capabilities of TabMixPlus, since Tobin asserted that:
Matt A Tobin wrote:There is very little reason to keep TMP around in this era.. About the only think it does that is unique these days is the protect and lock tabs functionality.. Beyond other tweaks and bits and bobs of course.
If you meant that you can't find TabMixPlus, it's here. You can either force the installation of the newest version or go through the old versions and find version 0.4.1.8 which, I believe, is the latest version that will recognize PaleMoon as a valid target browser.

freefrog

Unread post by freefrog » 2016-11-14, 18:46

Google search link fix - doesn't work - not detected by PM27B3 as jetpack addon giving the illusion it is still working

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-11-14, 18:51

I see.. It isn't detected as such because they omitted harness-options.json/package.json from the xpi package for 1.4.9.1-signed for some reason.

That is the only way we can distinguish jetpack from normal bootstrap. As bootstrap is employed to load SDK components.

This is totally an edge case.. No detection is perfect..

See: http://xref.palemoon.org/tycho-trunk/source/toolkit/mozapps/extensions/internal/XPIProvider.jsm#1095