Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.

Moderator: satrow

Locked
User avatar
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1311
Joined: 2015-07-23, 16:09
Location: Norway

Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Tomaso » 2016-10-10, 16:49

This might very well be a result of Pale Moon moving further away from the Firefox/Gecko code of course.
..but since there's obviously been some major changes in regards to how the Tycho builds handles downloads, I suspect that it might be caused by a bug.

I'm still using a modified build of the 'Flash and Video Download' extension, which I've posted a link to here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10849&start=40#p78672
This is a very handy extension, particularly because it works on a generic level, and not only for YouTube videos.
Up until now, the modified build has worked just fine with Pale Moon.
But now, with the release of the v27 Alpha/Beta builds, it doesn't work anymore!
The extension detects flash videos just fine, but when I click on the extension's icon, it doesn't display the size of the video file like before.
When I click on the file that I want to download, the file still gets trasfered to PM's download window, but it doesn't handle it properly..
The progress bar shows green all the way (100%), it says "Unknown time remaining - 0 bytes", and nothing happens!

Like I pointed out above, I understand if this simply is a result of PM's/Goanna's ongoing development.
..but it would be nice if someone could rule out the possibility of a bug in PM 27's download manager.

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 25034
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Moonchild » 2016-10-10, 16:55

Downloads are handled completely differently in Tycho -- downloads are handled via the JSTransfer API now. "Downloaders" and managers using the old API simply won't work and will have to be updated/rewritten.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1311
Joined: 2015-07-23, 16:09
Location: Norway

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Tomaso » 2016-10-10, 18:22

OK .

User avatar
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1311
Joined: 2015-07-23, 16:09
Location: Norway

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Tomaso » 2016-10-13, 14:14

I just noticed something..
Like I wrote before, when using the 'Flash and Video Download' extension wih Pale Moon v27, the files DOES get transfered to PM's download window, like before.
..but the downloads simply doesn't start.
However, after I canceled the downloads and restarted the browser a few times, the downloads remained in PM27's download list, and suddely they all kicked in and finished just fine!!
I wonder, could this indicate that there really IS a minor bug with PM27's new download management?
This might be worth looking into.
It's probably just a very minor detail that prevents this extension, and others like it, from functioning 100% with PM27!

GMforker
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 537
Joined: 2015-08-27, 06:29
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by GMforker » 2016-10-14, 19:45

The new version (2.02) seems to work fine.
Ad "the wrong icon in the toolbar": (replace all) "toolbarbutton-1" => "toolbarbutton-fnvfox"

User avatar
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1311
Joined: 2015-07-23, 16:09
Location: Norway

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Tomaso » 2016-10-14, 21:47

GMforker wrote:The new version (2.02) seems to work fine.
Ad "the wrong icon in the toolbar": (replace all) "toolbarbutton-1" => "toolbarbutton-fnvfox"
Sounds good, but you'll have to specify some more, cuz I really don't know anything about coding this stuff.
Which file, which lines, and where to place them exactly?
And how to make v2.02 compatible with PM in the first place?

GMforker
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 537
Joined: 2015-08-27, 06:29
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by GMforker » 2016-10-14, 22:59

Tomaso wrote:
GMforker wrote:The new version (2.02) seems to work fine.
Ad "the wrong icon in the toolbar": (replace all) "toolbarbutton-1" => "toolbarbutton-fnvfox"
Sounds good, but you'll have to specify some more, cuz I really don't know anything about coding this stuff.
Which file, which lines, and where to place them exactly?
And how to make v2.02 compatible with PM in the first place?
1) "/install.rdf" - an additional target application entry:

Code: Select all

    <!-- Pale Moon -->
    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>27.0.0b2</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>27.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>
2) Replace strings: "toolbarbutton-1" => "toolbarbutton-fnvfox":
"/chrome/content/overlay.xul" - line 14
"/modules/ToolbarButton.js" - line 189

User avatar
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1311
Joined: 2015-07-23, 16:09
Location: Norway

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Tomaso » 2016-10-15, 00:18

GMforker wrote:1) "/install.rdf" - an additional target application entry:

Code: Select all

    <!-- Pale Moon -->
    <em:targetApplication>
      <Description>
        <em:id>{8de7fcbb-c55c-4fbe-bfc5-fc555c87dbc4}</em:id>
        <em:minVersion>27.0.0b2</em:minVersion>
        <em:maxVersion>27.*</em:maxVersion>
      </Description>
    </em:targetApplication>
2) Replace strings: "toolbarbutton-1" => "toolbarbutton-fnvfox":
"/chrome/content/overlay.xul" - line 14
"/modules/ToolbarButton.js" - line 189
Thanks a lot!
That did the trick!!
I've posted a modified build here:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10849&p=95026#p95026
:)

User avatar
New Tobin Paradigm
Off-Topic Sheriff
Off-Topic Sheriff
Posts: 6281
Joined: 2012-10-09, 19:37
Location: Sector 001

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-15, 00:29

And when the Add-ons Manager checks for updates? It will get overwritten. You guys need to learn to properly fork.. Change the GUID and branding.. Assuming the license is agreeable. Also, stop posting rogue edited extensions on the forums.. Submit forks to the Add-ons Site..
Image
- the sun is a deadly laser -
http://binaryoutcast.com/ | http://thereisonlyxul.org/ | Freenode #binaryoutcast

User avatar
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1311
Joined: 2015-07-23, 16:09
Location: Norway

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Tomaso » 2016-10-15, 00:52

Matt A Tobin wrote:And when the Add-ons Manager checks for updates? It will get overwritten.
No.
I've got that feature disabled!:
extensions.update.autoUpdateDefault = false
extensions.update.enabled = false


--
Matt A Tobin wrote:stop posting rogue edited extensions on the forums.
OK

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 25034
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Moonchild » 2016-10-15, 09:43

Tomaso wrote:No.
I've got that feature disabled!:
So the world consists of only you?
You may have, but someone else who follows these instructions or downloads your hacked version will run into this.
Think a little larger :)

Seriously though, for open/permissive licenses, if you want to share what works and you can't get the original author to make it Pale Moon compatible themselves, please take the extra half hour it needs (assuming you properly create original identifying graphics) to fork and re-brand the extension, then get it over to addons.palemoon.org.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1311
Joined: 2015-07-23, 16:09
Location: Norway

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Tomaso » 2016-10-15, 10:24

Moonchild wrote:You may have, but someone else who follows these instructions or downloads your hacked version will run into this.
Well, we have discussed to auto-update "issue" before (briefly at least):
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10849&start=60#p81936

--
Moonchild wrote:for open/permissive licenses, if you want to share what works and you can't get the original author to make it Pale Moon compatible themselves, please take the extra half hour it needs (assuming you properly create original identifying graphics) to fork and re-brand the extension, then get it over to addons.palemoon.org.
Like I've already pointed out, I don't know anything about coding, so providing official forks is not for me:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10849&start=40#p79681

Also, getting in contact with the developer(s) of this extension seems to be impossible!:
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=10849&start=60#p87367

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 25034
Joined: 2011-08-28, 17:27
Location: 58°2'16"N 14°58'31"E
Contact:

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Moonchild » 2016-10-15, 10:46

Tomaso wrote:Like I've already pointed out, I don't know anything about coding, so providing official forks is not for me:
The edits you made are all the coding involved for your minimal fork. You've already done this; what more coding do you think is needed?

The rest of the work involved is changing the name, ID (in install.rdf) and replacing identifying graphics (if needed), which is metadata. Then zipping it all up under your new name. And you're done. It really isn't that involved for extensions.
"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne
Image

User avatar
Tomaso
Board Warrior
Board Warrior
Posts: 1311
Joined: 2015-07-23, 16:09
Location: Norway

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by Tomaso » 2016-10-15, 10:58

Moonchild wrote:The edits you made are all the coding involved for your minimal fork. You've already done this; what more coding do you think is needed?
My point is that I didn't figure out that stuff by myself.
Other people did, and I simply zipped it all up, as you say.
IMO, an extension maintainer should be able to figure out those things for themselves.
Perhaps GMforker feels up to the task? :)

GMforker
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 537
Joined: 2015-08-27, 06:29
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Bug with PM's download manager through the use of extensions?

Post by GMforker » 2016-10-15, 18:02

Tomaso wrote:Perhaps GMforker feels up to the task? :)
I only advised :-) I have other priorities at the moment... Anyone who wants can take it - the license does not prohibit it...

Locked