Public beta 2 released!

This board is for discussions, bug reports, etc. for pre-releases of the v27 milestone codenamed "Tycho".

Since the beta phase is over, this board is closed for new posts/topics.
JustOff

Re: Public beta 2 released!

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-10-16, 15:48

Matt A Tobin wrote:The extension isn't really made for Chrome debugging ...

They are WEB Developer Tools after all.
I understand, but my question is: do we have a chance to have some replacement for beautiful Browser Console from Beta1? May be [or not] based on new devtools?
palemoon_2016-10-16_18-39-10.png
The basic Error console It's definitely not enough.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-16, 15:50

All that is is the same Console from Mozilla Devtools with chrome messages switched on and in a Window.. There is no actual difference. It is ALSO as I described.. LESS USEFUL because it displays LESS information than the Toolkit Error Console..

IF this is all about style and not functionality.. Then you are just going to have to deal with it or build with --enable-devtools yourself.

Or you could submit a patch to add more functionality to the Toolkit Error Console..

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2016-10-16, 16:06

Matt A Tobin wrote:All that is is the same Console from Mozilla Devtools with chrome messages switched on and in a Window.. There is no actual difference. It is ALSO as I described.. LESS USEFUL because it displays LESS information than the Toolkit Error Console [...] this is all about style and not functionality..
Browser Error Console (was in 26.x and 27Beta1) has all information that Error Console have and not only with better style, but most important - with flexible filters!
RESOLVED WONTFIX
It's a pity ...

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2016-10-16, 16:08

As I said.. why don't you submit a patch to add filtering to the Toolkit Error Console.. You ARE a developer and have worked with mozilla-style code your self.. Shouldn't be too difficult to do this or heck make an isolated toolkit extension for this specific purpose.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-10-16, 17:51

To illustrate one of the reasons why it's better not to have these tools built and included by default - their weight. I'll throw some hard numbers at you.
(this is a comparison run from a fresh build in a new object directory, issuing mach run after build completion)

Including devtools makes:
  • The total file count for the binaries go up from 2581 to 3087 (~20% increase)
  • Memory use for a newly started browser without doing any browsing go up from 188MB to 210MB Private (~12% increase), 126MB to 147MB Private working set (~17% increase)
    Similar increases for all other resources. (see process explorer screenshots)
  • CPU usage go up by about 65% (based on cycles used for the same startup+2 minute idle) -- you will likely notice this in regular browsing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2016-10-16, 17:57

Nice info! :thumbup: